Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you pronounce Colorado?
Col-o-rad-o 69 38.55%
Col-o-rod-o 94 52.51%
Neither/Both ways 16 8.94%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
Maybe this will help. Click on the link and hear it for yourself!:

inogolo - Pronunciation of Colorado : How to pronounce Colorado
"Correct?" Only if you're some Midwesterner. In most of southern and western Colorado, you will hear predominantly the Spanish pronunciation, both among Anglos and Hispanics. Colorado is a Spanish word after all, much of the state was originally part of Mexico, a dozen and a half counties have Spanish names, etc., etc.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 AM

352 posts, read 713,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
"Correct?" Only if you're some Midwesterner. In most of southern and western Colorado, you will hear predominantly the Spanish pronunciation, both among Anglos and Hispanics. Colorado is a Spanish word after all, much of the state was originally part of Mexico, a dozen and a half counties have Spanish names, etc., etc.
I bet you voted for "Co-lo-rah-do". The audio pronunciation that somebody linked us to is, surprisingly, correct. So what if Colorado is "a Spanish word". So is La Junta but it's not pronounced "La Hoonta".
And I've lived in Colorado most of my life and have no Midwest bones in my body. Hope you're OK with sounding like a transplant even though you describe yourself as a native.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:07 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
I spent my first 17 years in Eastern Col-o-rad-uh. I was told by an English teacher living in Nebraska that the correct pronunciation was Col-o-rad-oh. The next time I visit relatives I will tell them they have been wrong for all these years.

GL2

Old 08-23-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
And I've lived in Colorado most of my life and have no Midwest bones in my body. Hope you're OK with sounding like a transplant even though you describe yourself as a native.
Well, I AM a Colorado native, and have probably lived here way longer than you. Where you hear the "short 'a'" pronuniciation is where the Midwest influence on Colorado is more pervasive, which includes the Front Range cities (not counting Pueblo) and most of the Eastern Plains. In most of western and southern Colorado, where the Spanish influence is more prounounced, you will hear the Spanish pronunciation predominantly. Guess where I live? Not on the Front Range.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:12 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,238,974 times
Quote:
Not around Durango. However the originals there were mainly from the Midwest and they often used the "duh" on the end just as gunluvver2 said.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 AM

I've been watching the USA Challenge bike race the past few days. Every single announcer pronounced our state name correctly. Well, except the guys from England but they're British you know.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushhournewb View Post
I've been watching the USA Challenge bike race the past few days. Every single announcer pronounced our state name correctly. Well, except the guys from England but they're British you know.
Here's a big newsflash for you: Most TV announcers are trained to speak in a non-descript MIDWESTERN accent. No surprise that they would mispronounce Spanish place names. Also, few newscasters in Colorado are actually FROM Colorado, so they often don't know how to properly pronounce Spanish or Indian place names, either. Listen to how many of them butcher "Saguache" and "Huerfano," for example. As for the Brits, unlike Americans, most Europeans are required to learn more than one language in school. Maybe those Brits actually do know how to pronounce Spanish words. Did you ever think of that?

Of course, what do I know?--I'm just a half-century-plus Colorado native who also happens to be at least a little bit bi-lingual. I'll bet you don't even know what my status line says.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:29 PM

2,611 posts, read 3,588,681 times
Well the link said this: Notes: The syllable with emphasis rhymes with 'bad'. All the authorities consulted list this as the preferred pronunciation. The pronunciation kah-luh-RAH-doe is sometimes used by non-natives.

It really doesn't say "correct", just preferred. I personally prounounce it with the "raw" sound. As in Co(llar)-la-raw-dough. But I was born and raised in Texas and just went with what newscasters and the WEather channel pronounced it. But then, I'm bilingual and know how to pronounce it the spanish way too, but usually use the above mentioned pronounciation.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Here's a big newsflash for you: Most TV announcers are trained to speak in a non-descript MIDWESTERN accent. No surprise that they would mispronounce Spanish place names. Also, few newscasters in Colorado are actually FROM Colorado, so they often don't know how to properly pronounce Spanish or Indian place names, either. Listen to how many of them butcher "Saguache" and "Huerfano," for example. As for the Brits, unlike Americans, most Europeans are required to learn more than one language in school. Maybe those Brits actually do know how to pronounce Spanish words. Did you ever think of that?

Of course, what do I know?--I'm just a half-century-plus Colorado native who also happens to be at least a little bit bi-lingual. I'll bet you don't even know what my status line says.
I read it as they were trained to pronounce Colorado correctly, regardless of this Midwestern malarky you keep foisting on us. I've lived here longer than you, believe it or not. I also speak Spanish better than you. I read your "status line". It says "and I mispronounce our state name, so sue me!"

Old 08-26-2012, 06:37 PM

431 posts, read 1,241,121 times
I don't think it matters. Pronounce the way you see fit. I hear both all the time. Similar to Missour-ee and Missour-ah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado