Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next CO city to have a large tourist Attraction sould be....
Denver 8 19.05%
Colorado Springs 9 21.43%
Grand Junction 2 4.76%
Fort Collins 3 7.14%
Pueblo 13 30.95%
Montrose 1 2.38%
Greeley 5 11.90%
Boulder 4 9.52%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 05:06 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,707,996 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking lately...Colorado only seems to be a place people come to for Skiing, but in reality, thats not all Colorao is about...right.? I saw a thread like this in the Nebraska Fourm, and thought it was a good idea, so i made this one for the Colorado Fourm. What city do you belive should have a world-class attraction.? A large mall, Large Theme park, Large Zoo,Museum...etc. I personally think that out of all Colorados "Major" cities that Pueblo could use a new large attraction. It will draw in a large amount of people around the region, and I think it would be good for the cities growing econemy. leave comment if you have any input on the subject. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 05:35 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,467,333 times
I agree with you Pueblo needs some kind of large tourist attraction. We are doing a lot with our Riverwalk so hopefully if we get the state grant that will be the large tourist attraction this area needs.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:46 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,008,095 times
As far as Colorado goes, Denver already has it all.

Colorado Springs should try to lure in a United Football League expansion team, and then build a sports complex SW of downtown for the Sky Sox and their new football team. A football stadium downtown may also entice UCCS to consider a football program as well. You can't have enough sports.

Pueblo should bring in a Single-A Minor League Baseball team. With a river front stadium that feed into the river walk area, that would be a pleasant family oriented attraction.

As you can see, I think sports are the most likely way to bring more attractions into an area. Colorado Springs and Pueblo already have zoos, parks, etc. I don't think there's the market for a theme park with Six Flags in Denver. So sports it is!

Old 06-10-2011, 06:49 PM

839 posts, read 2,417,309 times
Colorado Springs is more than large enough to support a large amusement park. It would be nice if they did manage to build one there. Likewise with a large concert venue. It's a PITA to have to drive to friggin' Denver for that kind of thing......

Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 PM

Well there's only one way to find out if Colorado Springs is large enough for a large amusement park, and that's if someone comes in and builds one! How cool would that be! Pikes Peak Gardens. I can see it now.

Also, when they get that sports complex built that'll take care of the concert venue issue as well. This is why all the Colorado Springs city counselors need to subscribe to C-D and read what we are all talking about.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:58 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,478,878 times
None of 'em. Colorado doesn't another BS tourist trap attraction. Instead, it should be concentrating on preserving the natural landscape that it has, not building more man-made fake crap.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
As far as Colorado goes, Denver already has it all.

Colorado Springs should try to lure in a United Football League expansion team, and then build a sports complex SW of downtown for the Sky Sox and their new football team. A football stadium downtown may also entice UCCS to consider a football program as well. You can't have enough sports.

Pueblo should bring in a Single-A Minor League Baseball team. With a river front stadium that feed into the river walk area, that would be a pleasant family oriented attraction.

As you can see, I think sports are the most likely way to bring more attractions into an area. Colorado Springs and Pueblo already have zoos, parks, etc. I don't think there's the market for a theme park with Six Flags in Denver. So sports it is!
Did you know Colorado has minor league football now? To be honest I did not know about them till last weekend when the Chieftain did a story.

This is from the Chieftain:

The Steel is a member of the 10-team Colorado Football Conference, which has been in existence for more than three decades up and down the Front Range.

The link: MEN of STEEL - The Pueblo Chieftain: Local

Pueblo has a stadium in downtown but at this point I am not sure we are big enough to attract a single A baseball team. Maybe once we get to a quarter of a million people.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
None of 'em. Colorado doesn't another BS tourist trap attraction. Instead, it should be concentrating on preserving the natural landscape that it has, not building more man-made fake crap.
We can and should do both. In fact if done right the revenue from a tourist trap could help save some of the land you love.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:27 PM

18,024 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Forget the tourists, Colorado Springs really could use a nice Six Flags, a huge water park like Waterworld, and maybe some attraction that could be enjoyed in the winter as well... a museum/aquarium/theme park... something that transforms in the winter like Branson's Silver Dollar City.

Then maybe they can rebuild some type of racing track between Colorado Springs and Pueblo.

Wish we could go back to having dog racing. What was wrong with that? Did PETA shut that down? Not PC enough? Maybe there's a way it could be done that isn't cruel to the dogs. Tell me whippets and greyhounds aren't meant to race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
What??

When "it" concentrates on the natural landscape, all it does is exploit and screw it up worse. Maybe some man-made fake crap will take their minds off our wonderful natural resources for a bit.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Pueblo has a stadium in downtown but at this point I am not sure we are big enough to attract a single A baseball team. Maybe once we get to a quarter of a million people.
Wow, Joss, you surprise me sometimes. I think Pueblo is large enough to support a single-A team. You figure that most single-A stadiums have seating for 5,000 or fewer. A lot of single-A teams are in pretty small towns, in the 50,000-100,000 range. Keep in mind, the team would likely draw attendance from nearby areas like Canon City. I think it would really help Pueblo's relevance in the sports world and State of Colorado. It would bring in a lot of college graduates (minor league players) too, as well as be a stead source of revenue for the city in terms of taxes from stadium activities.

I know you've got your thumb on the pulse there in Pueblo, Joss. Surely I'm not the first person to come up with this idea. I bet there are some businessmen or investment groups there that have kicked this idea around. Maybe you can ask around and see if it has been considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado