Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 8,621 times

Advertisements

I am applying for a job at the CU anschutz medical center in Aurora. I have lived in Co Springs in the past and prefer it to the Denver area.

Castle rock interests me, as it is closer to the springs and I can make weekend jaunts down there to meet up with friends, and ride their MTB trails. I dont mind a mild commute, but I am wondering what the traffic will be like. there are some threads about commute to downtown, but I dont know how much of the problems with traffic occurs closer to denver than at the 225 interchange. google maps predicts 35 minutes which would be fine, but that is without traffic.

I looked at highland ranch, but it doesnt look like it would be all that much closer to the campus and homes are more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 02:25 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Here's how I would decide:

1 year = 52 weeks and at 5 work days per week that's 260 work days per year; then minus out for 10 days for holidays = 250, then minus out 20 days for vacation/off days = 230 days years of commuting from Castle Rock (CR) to Anschutz Medical Center (AMC).

Commuting 230 days a year from CR to AMC adds an hour to your round trip each work day, so you spend 230 extra hours per year in CR to AMC traffic over and above if you lived near AMC and had a tiny commute.

How many weekends a year would you drive to the springs? Every other week = 26 trips per year and if the added time was 90 minutes round trip than driving to the Springs from near AMC would add 39 hours a years to drive-times than if you lived in CR.

The math is then pretty easy, each year you either spend 230 extra hours commuting from CR to AMC or 39 extra hours commuting from near AMC to the Springs. You'd be spending a small fortune in time and gas to live in CR.

So, live near AMC and have a much better quality of life for the ~230 work days per year. You'll probably save $3-$5 per day in gasoline too for daily commuting.

All of these numbers are guesstimates but you get the idea.

Not to mention that Denver has all 5 pro sports and tons of things to do.

From CR you'd be driving to everything.

Lastly, look at the light rail transit that's supposed to near AMC, consider using it on workdays and saving your vehicle for those trips to COLO SPGS.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 08-13-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 07:01 PM

4 posts, read 8,621 times
Thanks for the feedback. Here is the thing. the stuff I want to do is closer to the front range - namely mountain biking, and having a decent trail right outside my back door is worth a lot to me. It is also worth a lot of driving time, since even though it would take me longer to get home I wouldnt have to drive anywhere to get to a good after work ride.

In order to have that it looks like I need to have a commute of some sort anyway. My earlier point was that Highland ranch didnt seem like that much extra of a drive, and from what I can tell I like the castle rock location better, and it is easier to get to Colorado springs. I am an air force vet, so I see myself going to down to the air force academy to play inexpensive great golf on a semi regular basis as well as visiting my friends. I am not that familiar with the Denver metro area so if you have other, better suggestions I am all ears. You are right in one sense. being in a great place to live would be worth it for the longer drive to co springs. If I could live the springs I totally would, but that is definitely not practical.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:44 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Cycling is very big in the Denver metro area, with a series of trails in most of the region, and a number of riding groups and events. There are bike paths to Anschutz from Denver which might sate the daily desire to ride. Some of this might fit your wishes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:38 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,056,569 times
225 is generally a misery every day both directions. Since your in shape, bike commuting is the way to go around here. The weather is good almost every day. On some winter days you'll make better time than the drivers. Trying to go to and from Castle Rock will make you miserable as you will be sitting in traffic every day when you would have been home already if you had taken your bike. Many work places have showers and bike storage places because so many people commute by bike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado