Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 04:49 AM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times

Advertisements

Until I unexpectedly went there tonight, I was going to say Evergreen too.

If I can have a house in the non-BFE parts of Evergreen that'd be great. If I had to traverse one-car-wide roads up, down, and around curves (for miles), and up what I'll loosely call a "dirt road" just to get home, no thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 09:52 PM

625 posts, read 1,384,035 times
Hmm ... a question too broad to answer, but I'll give some positives about a few choices I know:

Denver ... obviously the only bigger city in Colorado. Nice parks, city life (but not like NY or LA or Chicago!), nice historic building stock, neighborhoods of bungalows with neighborhood feel, definitely an up and coming city focussing on quality of life. Drawbacks for me: while you have great biking trails, parks and reservoirs, you're at least an hour+ drive from impressive scenery. Depending on where you're from that's great or a drawback.

Some historic suburbs of Denver - Golden (expensive), Littleton, seem nice.

Boulder - OK its beautiful, and expensive, but you know even if I could afford it, not sure I'd choose it. All of Boulder county (including small-town Louisville, Lafayette and larger Longmont have some of the Boulder coutny vibe).

Fort Collins - unless it's Denver, FC is one of my choices. Reasonable housing prices, reasonable job market, reasonable access to nature, usually reasonable politics, nice downtown, a lot going on related to local agriculture, sustainable lifestyles; plenty of 30-something professionals living there, etc.

If you are looking for smaller towns, Salida (and nearby Buena Vista) is a beautiful place - one of the few towns between the high country and the "lower" elevations, in the Arkansas River valley.

I've never been to Durango, worth a visit I hear.

Grand Junction is always an option if you like more of the desert climate. Seems they have a nice downtown, bike trails along the Colorado river that flows thru town, the Colorado Natl Monument and Palisae wine country next door. Other small towns in this area that I haven't been to. Have only driven thru, though.

Colorado Springs - you know I've only been here once and some people seem to fear its super-conservative nature. From what I gather, though, it's almost as close to nature as Boulder is, with garden of the Gods state park, the mountains, bike trails. And it is a city, and does have a downtown, plus Manitou springs nearby.

Never been to Pueblo.

The mountain towns are antoher category - Breckenridge, Frisco, Leadville, Steamboat, Estes Park, etc. -that I'm sure you can find input on in another thread.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:44 AM

168 posts, read 379,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
If I had to traverse one-car-wide roads up, down, and around curves (for miles), and up what I'll loosely call a "dirt road" just to get home, no thanks.
Sounds expensive....

Old 11-30-2010, 09:17 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Garden of the Gods is a Colorado Springs city park.

City of Colorado Springs - Garden of the Gods Visitor & Nature Center

Which city depends entirely on your preferences. Come out and visit.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:34 PM

32 posts, read 73,623 times
Evergreen!

Old 11-30-2010, 08:53 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,770,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirll View Post
Sounds expensive....
It looked like a custom-built box-shaped McMansion, at least 6,000 sq ft over two stories. It faced east into a sea of trees, under a moon-lit sky in which you could actually see the stars.

Geographically, it turns out it was only about a mile north of Kittredge, but I got there from I-70. Looked like the kind of area where you can't leave home on some winter days.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,645 times
How about Parker? Looks like a nice town with alot to offer. I have been researching this area because I would like horse property, but also a good area for my 12 yr old to have activities, and close enough to family in Denver. Any thoughts out there would be appreciated.

Last edited by theterrbows; 12-02-2010 at 05:16 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 05:13 PM

625 posts, read 1,384,035 times
I don't know that area well but if you are looking for a pleasant suburb with some things going on, Littleton would also be a choice. It has light rail to Denver, Platte River parks, and a nice downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado