Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:46 AM

12 posts, read 25,385 times

Advertisements

they also use toxic chemicals to frack. They have ruined the area. I've lived around here all my life, and they have ruined it for many
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 09:47 AM

watch the movie gasland. People from around here are in it. I could be wrong, and will always admit when I am not right, but I think I am right about this

Old 10-09-2011, 12:32 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,957,630 times
Wink Barnett Shale maps

The Barnett Shale formation is located in north central Texas.* Here is a reference for associated maps and data:
Barnett Shale Maps

* There are of course also ongoing natural gas fracking operations in Colorado. Those proposed as well which threaten major aquifers.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:11 PM

and natural gas can also cause panic attacks due to lack of oxygen. something to consider when buying or renting a few miles from barnett shale with it's tens of thousands of open gas wells. you can't always smell the gas but you can smell the chemicals a lot and the burnoff is almost constant so if you like vomiting and nosebleeds go for it. oh and feeling like you want to die is a constant if you live around here and do not have a superhuman constitution.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:16 PM

26,111 posts, read 48,696,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonekhgkjgh View Post
they also use toxic chemicals to frack. They have ruined the area. I've lived around here all my life, and they have ruined it for many
Please tell us where that is so people can avoid it. Are you in north Texas? Thank you.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-09-2011, 10:30 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,575,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonekhgkjgh View Post
It will take away your oxygen and cause brain damage, cell death. It can kill you if there is more gas in the atmosphere than oxygen. We are moving from this area due to Barnett Shale. I don't know if all people get sick but it was mentioned on this forum so some are concerned and they should all be. We did fine before it came about. These gas companies make huge profits, allow the gas to flow freely underground, and above ground, which causes illness, and they move on. They can frack under your house. There have been several earthquakes and this is what is causing it. We paid more for gas while the fracking was going on, so what do we need it for? I use electric to heat our home. Why pay with your health and life in order to get five miles on five dollars worth? not worth it
I would bone up on your geology and knowledge of shale formations as well as how fracking works.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:24 PM

Wink Citizen initiative

'But the Obama administration said explicitly on Thursday that it would not have put a hold on the pipeline without people like Roller putting a vast expanse of open prairie called the Sand Hills on the national map.' [1]

Donna Roller is one of the directly affected property owners who faced the seemingly insurmountable challenge of stopping TransCanada from putting a pipeline across their land.

She and other Nebraskans faced a State Department which had signed off on an environmental review finding no major risks to pumping 833,000 barrels a day of highly corrosive Alberta crude in a 36-inch pipe across six American states. Of elected officials in Nebraska who said they had no legal authority to intervene, and failed to act on three different proposals to reroute the pipeline. Of intense lobbying effort from the Canadian government. And basically just being lost voices in the wilderness.

But the Obama administration may have blinked, and TransCanada may have a serious problem with its pipeline.

It turns out that aside from outraged property owners, that many Nebraskans did not look kindly upon the Sand Hills, a place they value, being bisected by a pipeline full of toxic crude. For not only is it traditional farm and cowboy country, but also of the exposed aquifer of water important to the greater midwest. In fact so delicate that at times the groundwater causes the prairie to be more like wetland in places.

Of ranchers such as fourth generation Bruce Boettcher, saying, "I can't even put creosote fence posts in my ground because of the organic certification and hear I am contending with a toxic pipeline within a half mile of my property line. I don't know what I am supposed to do."

From TransCanada's standpoint it also didn't help when the BP oil spill continued for months in the Gulf of Mexico, a pipeline burst in the Kalamazoo river in Michigan or, closer to home, when a good portion of the Yellowstone river in Montana turned black from a supposedly secure underlying oil pipeline, broken.

What any of this has to do with Colorado, other than Nebraska being a neighbor, is that Donna Rolller may see the farm she grew up on, and her parents before her when there was no electricity or running water, without a pipeline from a Canadian corporation running across it. That she and her broader community may have prevailed against the seemingly inevitable.

And there may just happen to be a few Ms. Rollers' in Colorado thinking much the same: that no corporation or government should have the right or ability to despoil their land, heritage, and rights through ill-conceived fracking. It is just as well their water and life at stake.

1) 'Keystone XL: Nebraskans take pipeline issue all the way to the White House,' The Guardian
Keystone XL: Nebraskans take pipeline issue all the way to the White House | Environment | guardian.co.uk

Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,938,169 times
Default Gas drillers invade hunter's Pennsylvania paradise

The conflict in PA's northern tier. Hunting is a huge activity in the keystone state.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/12/us...ands.html?_r=1

Old 11-12-2011, 11:23 AM

Wink Within our home

Something overlooked by many of these hunters and oil men are the animals themselves.

The humans should consider by what right they lay claim to every square inch of land and all upon it. In consideration of the health of the greater ecosystem, and wildlife that will best prosper without benefit of man and his activities.

Or if they must, as apparently the case in Pennsylvania, exist as best they can with the trepidations of mankind within their home, move, or simply cease to be.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:28 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,575,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
Something overlooked by many of these hunters and oil men are the animals themselves.

The humans should consider by what right they lay claim to every square inch of land and all upon it. In consideration of the health of the greater ecosystem, and wildlife that will best prosper without benefit of man and his activities.

Or if they must, as apparently the case in Pennsylvania, exist as best they can with the trepidations of mankind within their home, move, or simply cease to be.
I haven't seen humans lay claim to every square inch of land yet. Only 2% of the land in the USA is classified as urban.

Deer populations in the eastern USA are as big as ever, including here in PA. I have no shortage of bears, rabbits, deer in the woods behind the house, even with gas wells now down the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado