Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 08:22 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
'The maker of the Oscar-nominated documentary Gasland was arrested and handcuffed at Congress when he tried to film a hearing about the controversial mining method known as fracking. … The confrontation with Fox came as the Environmental Protection Agency released more than 620 documents in support of its finding that fracking had contaminated the drinking water of a small town in Wyoming.' [1]

Apparently there is something that Congress does not want Josh Fox, and we the public, to know about these matters of public interest with fracking.

Such as maybe further details on how fracking has been conclusively linked with contamination of the water in Pavillion, WY.
1) 'Josh Fox, director of Gasland, arrested at fracking hearing,' The Guardian
Josh Fox, director of Gasland, arrested at fracking hearing | Environment | The Guardian
It is amusing these people that do not follow rules for what are orderly public or private hearings and then use it to complain "my free speech rights blah blah". It's basically a set up to create a scene and promote themselves.

I remember when the gasland movie came out and then I started picking through it on my own, rather than just guzzling the kool aid and found basically the film was factually incorrect for the most part, especially on the flaming faucet.

I have environmental concerns like anyone else and I don't want the environment trashed, but after actually taking the time to ask questions and see things in person, you get clarity from seeing things literally and not from buying into media kool aid. Shell, in my town has public meetings all the time, you can call them anytime you want, you can talk to the workers on these wells, there are safety people at all the wells, any spills that happen are cleaned up and the waste water is recycled.

But sure if some snotty guy with a hostile viewpoint and an agenda to make a documentary to smear my industry turned up at my door, i'd tell em to get lost too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post

Are not the welfare of our public lands and furtherance in the purity of the lifeblood of our water of some small measure our interest?
Of course. But the problems related to fracking are hardly a secret. I've read at least a dozen extensive news articles about the issue in the past year.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Idunn wrote:
But are our public servants so shy of the limelight in their deliberations -- and why?
They are not shy in the least when there's a photo op or a chance to tell a big white lie to the public. However, they become very shy if there is the slightest chance that a purposely hidden truth might be exposed. WHY? Because that's what their corporate bosses want them to do.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Idunn wrote:
But are our public servants so shy of the limelight in their deliberations -- and why?
They are not shy in the least when there's a photo op or a chance to tell a big white lie to the public. However, they become very shy if there is the slightest chance that a purposely hidden truth might be exposed. WHY? Because that's what their corporate bosses want them to do.
Fracking isn't rocket science, although there is some high tech seismic modeling and the drilling is extremely accurate down to the foot.

Pretty much anything could be found out as I did, either searching online and joining some of the shale gas forums(my local county group has around 200 people online), talking to people in person and asking questions or going to the many company run or local and state government meetings that go on about this.

I think what is easier for people to do is watch a documentary with fragmented information that has an agenda bordering on hysterical and get themselves all worked up and indignant plus get into the whole conspiracy theory bit.

That is easier than actually wading through a lot of information and asking questions to figure it all about.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:03 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
wanneroo wrote:
Fracking isn't rocket science, although there is some high tech seismic modeling and the drilling is extremely accurate down to the foot.

Pretty much anything could be found out as I did, either searching online and joining some of the shale gas forums(my local county group has around 200 people online), talking to people in person and asking questions or going to the many company run or local and state government meetings that go on about this.

I think what is easier for people to do is watch a documentary with fragmented information that has an agenda bordering on hysterical and get themselves all worked up and indignant plus get into the whole conspiracy theory bit.

That is easier than actually wading through a lot of information and asking questions to figure it all about.
My negativity toward fracking is based on real life situatons rather than information on the internet. I have several friends in the greater Glenwood Springs area who had their wells polluted from the totally safe and scientifically validated practice of fracking.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 02-03-2012 at 10:10 AM..

Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
I know people who work for the fracking companies. What they will tell you, off the record, is that there are a lot of companies that it do it safely and correctly and there are a lot of companies that don't. A lot of it depends on the quality of the crews actually working at the site, and how well they are supervised and managed by the company. One fellow I know actually quit working for one company doing a lot of business in Colorado because the management of the company did not manage its crews well at all--and, as a result, there was a lot of sloppy work done on the sites. This fellow wanted no part of that and now works mostly out of Colorado for a company with a much better reputation. Unfortunately, when numerous companies do not manage their operations prudently, it can cause the kinds of horror stories that one can read about in the media, and it also invites imposition of sometimes over-zealous government regulation. Sadly, during a "boom" such as is occurring in gas drilling, companies will often hire ill-trained and unqualified people to work for them. Compounding that problem is the increasing "I don't give a s***" attitude among many employees, especially the younger ones, working today. What that attitude shows up in people working in jobs where shoddy work can have disastrous results--such as fracking--bad stuff is going to happen.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
wanneroo wrote:

My negativity toward fracking is based on real life situatons rather than information on the internet. I have several friends in the greater Glenwood Springs area who had their wells polluted from the totally safe and scientifically validated practice of fracking.
Water wells around Glenwood have had methane laced water you can get a flame from the dawn of western civilization in that area, plus various other crap in the groundwater. How can they prove it was from fracking?

Old 02-03-2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I know people who work for the fracking companies. What they will tell you, off the record, is that there are a lot of companies that it do it safely and correctly and there are a lot of companies that don't. A lot of it depends on the quality of the crews actually working at the site, and how well they are supervised and managed by the company. One fellow I know actually quit working for one company doing a lot of business in Colorado because the management of the company did not manage its crews well at all--and, as a result, there was a lot of sloppy work done on the sites. This fellow wanted no part of that and now works mostly out of Colorado for a company with a much better reputation. Unfortunately, when numerous companies do not manage their operations prudently, it can cause the kinds of horror stories that one can read about in the media, and it also invites imposition of sometimes over-zealous government regulation. Sadly, during a "boom" such as is occurring in gas drilling, companies will often hire ill-trained and unqualified people to work for them. Compounding that problem is the increasing "I don't give a s***" attitude among many employees, especially the younger ones, working today. What that attitude shows up in people working in jobs where shoddy work can have disastrous results--such as fracking--bad stuff is going to happen.
Hearsay evidence.

Why not invited some of those folks you talked to to participate for themselves in the forum, or come over and use your computer to do so? Then we get the info first hand.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:34 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Hearsay evidence.

Why not invited some of those folks you talked to to participate for themselves in the forum, or come over and use your computer to do so? Then we get the info first hand.
Better idea: Why don't you get off of your duff and go talk to the people in the industry yourself, as I have done? I suspect, since you never take my word for anything, that you wouldn't take theirs either. So, what's the point?

Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Better idea: Why don't you get off of your duff and go talk to the people in the industry yourself, as I have done? I suspect, since you never take my word for anything, that you wouldn't take theirs either. So, what's the point?
Part of my background is in the geosciences, so I can read journal articles and learn what I need to know. And I don't disagree with you that fracking can be done safely. But I also know it isn't always done safely. I'm very aware of incidences of earthquakes attributed to fracking, and of pollution of drinking water. In fact, am I wrong or have you not mentioned the importance of drinking water in Colorado in other threads? And, in my view, human safety trumps every other factor. Colorado has a long, long history of illness and death related to mining. Travel to virtually any region of the state and you can see it first hand. Billions of dollars spent in cleaning up the land. We don't start it again...or should I say continue pillaging the land until safety procedures are well established.

Although it's not a Colorado situation, this is very similar to the Keystone Pipeline for oil going through Nebraska. I have no problem with such a pipeline, but I am very concerned that the particular route selected may be vulnerable and has the potential of polluting the Ogallala aquifer.

The day is over where we can simply drill and pollute full speed ahead and be damned with the fallout. We've been through enough cancers and Love Canals. We ought to have learned by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado