Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2007, 09:13 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm bringing my wife and kids to Durango later this week. We'll be camping on a friend's ranch near Bayfield for the first couple of nights (Sat/Sun), then getting a Hotel in Durango Monday thru Thursday and want to have fun and explore. We saw the Melodrama 3 years ago and plan to do that again, and take the train ride which we've never done.

What else would you recommend in the way of fun and adventure for a family of 4 (kids are 11 and 14) while in the Durango area that week? We're not hardcore hikers but could handle a 1/2 day trek if there's a good one nearby.
Anything to avoid or stay away from?

Thanks

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 01:35 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I'm bringing my wife and kids to Durango later this week.

The Durango Herald online lists all sorts of events and activities by dates. I'm sure you could find plenty of ideas there. (I'm going the last week of August!)

Old 07-11-2007, 09:27 AM

854 posts, read 4,141,646 times
The train -- I guess you mean the one to Silverton? That's a pretty drive, I know (never did the train), we made that drive a late afternoon last July and it was really nice. Rain, rainbows, sun, ponds, mountains, lots of great scenery. Lots of places to get out of the car and get good pictures of your family too :-) But I hear the train is nice too.

As far as things to do -- Mesa Verde Natl Park is an easy drive from Durango. Depending on how old your kids are, there are different tours you can do there. Educational, fun, pretty in its own way, and very interesting.

On the same trip, we visited the Four Corners (another cheesy spot for a picture) and went all the way out to Arches Natl Park and Canyonlands Natl Park. More of a drive, and you're certainly not in the mountains of colorado anymore, but we enjoyed it. We stayed in Cortez rather than Durango, though, that cut some time off the drive.

I definitely recommend Mesa Verde. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Old 07-11-2007, 02:42 PM

108 posts, read 389,762 times
Mesa Verde is great, I would go earlier in the day before it gets really hot out. There is rafting down the Animas River that is always fun. There are tons of hiking trails, anything from easy to hard. Durango has a river trail through most of town that is paved, it's a nice stroll to take after dinner or so. The La Plata Mountains are 20 minutes from town, just west on 160. It's easy driving up there, gravel roads, some places get a little washed out (haven't been up there yet this year so not sure how they are) sometimes but it's not 4 wheel drive required usually. There are touring companies that can take you up in jeeps, if you don't want to drive. There is always a day trip to Telluride if you want.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:02 PM

18,021 posts, read 27,468,060 times
I'd agree that a trip over to Telluride or Ouray would be nice because you'd get to experience that Million Dollar Highway. I once left Colorado Springs with a 28-foot race car trailer (emergency situation) and headed to Durango that way. Thank goodness it wasn't winter time. The road might not have been passible then anyway.

I've stayed at the Double Tree many a time. They have the best cookies. The Strater Hotel is nice too.

I still haven't been to Mesa Verde yet. We'll have to go sometime.

Last edited by mdz; 07-12-2007 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: refers to deleted post

Old 07-12-2007, 05:20 PM

108 posts, read 389,762 times
Thought of one more, there is an alpine slide at DMR that is a blast, my daughter just loves it.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:48 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times
Thanks for all the suggestions!

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado