U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2010, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,610 posts, read 22,501,316 times
Reputation: 5432

Advertisements

Thanksgiving Day photo tour of Pueblo, Pueblo West, and the Pueblo Reservoir. I went ALL over the place, in search of a taste of "southwesternness" that I can get close to home without going all the way to NM and AZ. Follow the link to my flickr page, and I recommend clicking the slideshow button. I have to admit to myself, Pueblo when seen from the right angle can actually look pretty good! There are some nice properties down there I wish could have been built in Denver. Let me know your thoughts.

Pueblo - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56757729@N02/sets/72157625546386168/ - broken link)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2010, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Colorado, Denver Metro Area
1,048 posts, read 4,222,231 times
Reputation: 404
Great photos, as always!

I drove though Pueblo a few times and always wanted to check it out but never got to do it. I did stop once west of it to take a few cool mountain pics but that was about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 01:18 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,258 posts, read 23,502,777 times
Reputation: 4359
Thank you for posting this.

You did a great job of showcasing Pueblo's southwest flavor which makes Pueblo a unique city in Colorado. Personally, I think Pueblo and CSU Pueblo need to use that more to our advantage because as we grow having a southwest style city of 250,000 or more people will be something that will be great for Colorado since it does go against what most people think of when they think of a Colorado city yet should help attract people to our great state. Another thing you have proven is yes we can see the mountains from Pueblo and its suburbs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,610 posts, read 22,501,316 times
Reputation: 5432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Thank you for posting this.

You did a great job of showcasing Pueblo's southwest flavor which makes Pueblo a unique city in Colorado. Personally, I think Pueblo and CSU Pueblo need to use that more to our advantage because as we grow having a southwest style city of 250,000 or more people will be something that will be great for Colorado since it does go against what most people think of when they think of a Colorado city yet should help attract people to our great state. Another thing you have proven is yes we can see the mountains from Pueblo and its suburbs.
I've been to Pueblo before, but mainly just passing through on the way to NM. It's been several years since I actually explored around. I was suprised by how good the mountain views are, in Pueblo West especially. Most of Pueblo West doesn't really appeal to me though, since I'm not gung ho on the idea of living in a wannabe "rural" area with a house right off a highway, with no sidewalks or anything, no place to take a walk without having to get in your car and drive somewhere.

Was Thanksgiving day an exceptionally sunny day in Pueblo (and Colo Springs)? Normally, when it's totally gloomy here in Denver, is it the same in Pueblo?

The main problem I see with Pueblo is JOBS. Sometimes I wonder what the heck do all those people who live in those big houses in Pueblo West (and on the outskirts of Canon City as well) do for a living? Or are they all retired? Also, wasn't there a recent report that shows Pueblo has the highest crime rate in the state?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Evansville, IN
36 posts, read 97,589 times
Reputation: 22
very cool pics, cant wait to take a trip there this summer. Planning a few days motorcycle ride with a day just dedicated to Pueblo.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,258 posts, read 23,502,777 times
Reputation: 4359
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I've been to Pueblo before, but mainly just passing through on the way to NM. It's been several years since I actually explored around. I was suprised by how good the mountain views are, in Pueblo West especially. Most of Pueblo West doesn't really appeal to me though, since I'm not gung ho on the idea of living in a wannabe "rural" area with a house right off a highway, with no sidewalks or anything, no place to take a walk without having to get in your car and drive somewhere.

Was Thanksgiving day an exceptionally sunny day in Pueblo (and Colo Springs)? Normally, when it's totally gloomy here in Denver, is it the same in Pueblo?

The main problem I see with Pueblo is JOBS. Sometimes I wonder what the heck do all those people who live in those big houses in Pueblo West (and on the outskirts of Canon City as well) do for a living? Or are they all retired? Also, wasn't there a recent report that shows Pueblo has the highest crime rate in the state?
Pueblo has been dry lately but we have a lot of sunshine. In fact we have more sunny days then Florida. The Denver area is usually colder and gets more rain/ snow then we do. Because of this Pueblo is generally referred to be located in the Banana Belt.

I agree with you about Pueblo West and personally I would not want to live there however my mom does and many people love living there.

There was a crime report out on Pueblo that was not good however it was a reporting error on the side of the police who did not input the codes correct.

This is from the Pueblo Chieftain:

Pueblo police rejected the ranking Wednesday, saying the FBI study was grossly wrong on the city's homicides that year — listing 13 when there were only six. That was a mistake the department confronted earlier this year, but those same statistics have resurfaced in this new national book.

The link: Police blast FBI's new crime study - The Pueblo Chieftain: Local
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Sun City West, Arizona
45,292 posts, read 19,860,381 times
Reputation: 29794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Thank you for posting this.

You did a great job of showcasing Pueblo's southwest flavor which makes Pueblo a unique city in Colorado. Personally, I think Pueblo and CSU Pueblo need to use that more to our advantage because as we grow having a southwest style city of 250,000 or more people will be something that will be great for Colorado since it does go against what most people think of when they think of a Colorado city yet should help attract people to our great state. Another thing you have proven is yes we can see the mountains from Pueblo and its suburbs.
I'm curious where you get that population figure. Wikipedia and other online sources all seem to list Pueblo's population as around 105,000.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,258 posts, read 23,502,777 times
Reputation: 4359
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm curious where you get that population figure. Wikipedia and other online sources all seem to list Pueblo's population as around 105,000.
Yes currently Pueblo is about 106,000 people with a MSA of 160,000 people. I was referring to the future growth of Pueblo when I talk about Pueblo reaching a quarter of a million people. Looking back I could of made that more clear but the point I was trying to make was as Pueblo reaches 250,000 people our unique southwest style will be something that will be good for Colorado as it will show the states diversity and help attract people who want to live in Colorado but do not want to live in a colder mountain setting but a warmer desert setting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 03:39 PM
 
Location: The 719
17,127 posts, read 25,895,551 times
Reputation: 16112
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Most of Pueblo West doesn't really appeal to me though, since I'm not gung ho on the idea of living in a wannabe "rural" area with a house right off a highway, with no sidewalks or anything, no place to take a walk without having to get in your car and drive somewhere.
This is true of Pdub, but what about less crime? What about the awesome dark nights for star-gazing? It does have its advantages too.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2010, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Denver, CO
5,610 posts, read 22,501,316 times
Reputation: 5432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Yes currently Pueblo is about 106,000 people with a MSA of 160,000 people. I was referring to the future growth of Pueblo when I talk about Pueblo reaching a quarter of a million people. Looking back I could of made that more clear but the point I was trying to make was as Pueblo reaches 250,000 people our unique southwest style will be something that will be good for Colorado as it will show the states diversity and help attract people who want to live in Colorado but do not want to live in a colder mountain setting but a warmer desert setting.
Only thing is, Pueblo is not exactly what I'd call a "warm" desert. Compared to the true warm desert cities like Phoenix, Tucson, Las Vegas, Las Cruces, El Paso, Palm Springs, Pueblo is still pretty freakin' cold. It's still Colorado. According to the weather stats on weatherbase.com, Pueblo is a whopping 2 degrees warmer than Denver in Jan as the average high, and average low temperatures in the winter are colder. It's not really that much warmer than Denver in the winter.

Pueblo COULD potentially attract the kind of people who might otherwise be interested in southwestern high desert places like Albuquerque NM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
This is true of Pdub, but what about less crime? What about the awesome dark nights for star-gazing? It does have its advantages too.
Good points.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:09 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top