U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:46 PM

12,250 posts, read 22,690,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas71 View Post
Of course you would choose Pueblo over the Springs Joseppie, look I don't have anything against Pueblo, my grandfather was born there, but the Springs is far superior to Pueblo and the military had a big role in making the Springs what it is, however there's a lot more going than just the military and frankly I think you're jealous, that's why you rant and rave about Pueblo and new tech parks and what will be in the future, what will make Pueblo better in the future will be becoming part of the Springs metro area otherwise Pueblo won't be anything more than a small ass backwards ex steel mill city.
I rant and rave about Pueblo because I love it. If I did not love it I would not live here as with my masters degree I could live anywhere and make a great living. That being said no city is perfect and Pueblo is no exception. One area Pueblo does lag in is our population and that is why I am a member of PEDCo and the Chamber of commerce so we can grow, however, overall I am not jealous of the Springs as I would not want Pueblo to grow like it has. In fact I think Pueblo is a far more progressive city then the Springs and one example is how you guys are using urban renewal to build a new mall north of town to sprawl your sprawl while Pueblo is using it to actually make our university and downtown even better. This is the latest example of what they are doing in downtown:

City Councilman Chris Kaufman calls it "retail recruitment" and he says Pueblo's Downtown needs it. In a nutshell, it says the city needs a professional office to focus on recruiting new retail businesses to fill storefronts in the Downtown.

The link: Kaufman tells council Downtown needs 'retail recruitment' - The Pueblo Chieftain: Local

A good example is Minneapolis/ St Paul. Minneapolis is the larger city but St. Paul is by far the more progressive. That is why I am more then willing to recommend Pueblo for people who are looking to move to Colorado and I believe its one of the best cities to live in.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-22-2010, 03:51 AM

4 posts, read 24,983 times
At the moment Josseppie somehow or another is more convincing. But i need to know, if i do decide to invest into Pueblo whether it be in a Small Business or some property, will Immigration be slightly more lenient??? Ohh yea i forgot to ask, how is the diversity in Pueblo, is there a good mix of people and is there much racism??

Old 12-22-2010, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownops View Post
At the moment Josseppie somehow or another is more convincing. But i need to know, if i do decide to invest into Pueblo whether it be in a Small Business or some property, will Immigration be slightly more lenient??? Ohh yea i forgot to ask, how is the diversity in Pueblo, is there a good mix of people and is there much racism??
I can't answer the questions about what is the best way to invest or about immigration but what I can say is Pueblo is diverse with very little racism.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:10 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,241,764 times
The military feels that Colorado is similar to Afghanistan and conducts a lot of training exercises here. It seems like everybody that I talk to, whether they live on the plains or in the mountains, is underneath a military flight path and constantly sees...and hears....the ubiquitous Apache helicopters flying overhead. I used to videotape helicopters from my backyard and occasionally got a 3 for 1....three different consecutive helicopters in one viewing. Most being military, some being police, some being citizen surveillance, and others being used by the hospital.

So I tried to flee into a remote area of the mountains. Only to find an even greater military presence. Seems that one of the local farms has large military cargo planes in his "barns."

The military is also wedded to a gigantic and rapidly growing intelligence/citizen surveillance network. Colorado has a immense number of agents that are ever watchful of citizens who think independently. They have enjoyed absolute power to do anything they so please since Bush got the Patriot Act passed. I would imagine they have already assessed your post and possibly earmarked you as being unpatriotic or anti-government.

In other words you could be stepping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

This post will likely be viciously attacked for a number of reasons. A large one is that such a large percentage of Americans are employed by the military/surveillance network that there are bound to be posters with immediate family and such employed by the military/surveillance network. Not to mention that all internet boards are intensely studied by citizen surveillance types. They always employ several "handles" and it will seem like a swarm of bees came out of the wood work. Their training predilects them towards being very aggressive and hurling insults that question sanity, patriotism, intelligence, income, stability and the likes. They frequently ask if the poster believes in aliens and often tell the poster to move away and "see how they do". Apparently it is impossible to have a decent life in any other country? Agents are bullies. Very, very big bullies. Now they can kill and incarcerate with virtual impunity. All they have to do is whip out the "suspected terrorist" card.

You already messed up your Colorado reception in my opinion. At the least.

I've been in the military and I have family who are government agents with top clearances. So people can spare me the chiding about not knowing what I am speaking of.

If you are truly settled on Colorado, I might suggest Canon City. It has a great climate and is nestled into the mountains that most people seek. I hope you don't mind the 11 or 12 penitentiaries that dominate the area though. Our incarceration rates have more doubled in the past decade. Most offenders are incarcerated for smoking marijuana without paying a physician about $50 for a license.

Last edited by JohnHAdams; 12-26-2010 at 11:27 AM..

Old 12-28-2010, 04:40 PM

58 posts, read 88,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownops View Post
I currently live in the UK but ive been looking for a nice big property in Colorado. I didn't like Colorado Springs because of the military base and hence all the army guys that mingle in with us and also because the local economy is reliant upon the military base. I want to be further away from any sort of government institution as i just dont feel easy living close to one.

So i saw pueblo on the maps. I was thinking to buy a few acres of land in West Pueblo and build myself a home where i can eventually retire. I have around $3000000 to play with so im hoping this is enough.

Its only me and my wife, we just want to chill out and have a better quality, slower pace of life which London will never give us.

Hows the education and local services in Pueblo in case we have children, never know what the wife wants . Also are the people friendly, we're British Indians atm but hoping to move on a Business Visa. I do want to eventually get citizenship but thats a long way away for the moment.

Whoa... sorry guy. Not sure if you’re legit or not because your post sounds rather immature and not well thought out. It would probably be a good idea to not insult people of a country you’re looking to move to. Better yet, stay where you are for awhile and take some time to grow up.

These “soldiers” you seem to disdain are the very same folks that allow you to live a life of callous disregard for their sacrifices. Chances are, you wouldn’t understand, though.

Old 12-28-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaxon View Post
Whoa... sorry guy. Not sure if you’re legit or not because your post sounds rather immature and not well thought out. It would probably be a good idea to not insult people of a country you’re looking to move to. Better yet, stay where you are for awhile and take some time to grow up.

These “soldiers” you seem to disdain are the very same folks that allow you to live a life of callous disregard for their sacrifices. Chances are, you wouldn’t understand, though.
How is that a insult? I am a 4th generation American and I would never want to live in a military town. That is the main reason I prefer Pueblo over Colorado Springs as military towns like Colorado Springs are way to transient and have less of a community feel to it.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,779,851 times
I'll tell you Josseppie,
His words...."all the army guys that mingle in with us".
I don't care if one doesn't want to live in a "military" town. Where in the hoot do you think those "army" guys Should mingle? What kind of crappy statement is that?
IF you go to a country to buy land and retire/live,....kinda seems to me you darn well better kinda like their military people and government or, stay put!!! Of course, these "military" guys/gals are the very ones that fight for your rights to be completely prejudiced against their presence!
Heck, they would even take a bullet for you if something should happen in the neighborhood they dared to mingle in!!
And another thing....just how many cities have military living and working there,(err,...mingling)? I have a son who will be in Denver for 3 years on shore duty...can't believe anybody would question him "mingling" with them!! YOU have military in Pueblo that commute to COS!!
I betcha Josseppie, if Pueblo got a contract with the military for a base, etc...or the government (which the OP doesnt want to be around either), you would be all for it. Brings in jobs and money!! And when you toot the horn for your state/city/county and maybe serve on some kind of political board,....isn't that "government"?
I like you Josse..respect your and everyones opinions even if I don't agree but,..you are way off base if you think someone should think this way and try to gain citizenship...why would they bother swearing in to a government they don't want to be around? How stupid!!! Oh yeah, I know why...because that government gives them the right to do so!! Aren't we nice!!

Old 12-29-2010, 10:09 AM

4 posts, read 24,983 times
bjaxon im not trying to insult anyone, just saying a place thats dependent upon the military presence it has is not my cup of tea.

JohnHAdams thats EXACTLY the point! My wife and I, when we went to see some relatives who lived in Denver and Nevada said the exact same thing! I want to be away from all that, and this is the main reason why Alberta, Canada seems a better option, in that perspective.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:50 AM

1,331 posts, read 4,779,851 times
Canada....go there!!

Old 12-29-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
I'll tell you Josseppie,
His words...."all the army guys that mingle in with us".
I don't care if one doesn't want to live in a "military" town. Where in the hoot do you think those "army" guys Should mingle? What kind of crappy statement is that?
IF you go to a country to buy land and retire/live,....kinda seems to me you darn well better kinda like their military people and government or, stay put!!! Of course, these "military" guys/gals are the very ones that fight for your rights to be completely prejudiced against their presence!
Heck, they would even take a bullet for you if something should happen in the neighborhood they dared to mingle in!!
And another thing....just how many cities have military living and working there,(err,...mingling)? I have a son who will be in Denver for 3 years on shore duty...can't believe anybody would question him "mingling" with them!! YOU have military in Pueblo that commute to COS!!
I betcha Josseppie, if Pueblo got a contract with the military for a base, etc...or the government (which the OP doesnt want to be around either), you would be all for it. Brings in jobs and money!! And when you toot the horn for your state/city/county and maybe serve on some kind of political board,....isn't that "government"?
I like you Josse..respect your and everyones opinions even if I don't agree but,..you are way off base if you think someone should think this way and try to gain citizenship...why would they bother swearing in to a government they don't want to be around? How stupid!!! Oh yeah, I know why...because that government gives them the right to do so!! Aren't we nice!!
I think you read to much into it. I just read that he did not want to live in a military town.

As far as my reaction if Pueblo got a major military base. It would depend as I would not want a large base like the ones in Colorado Springs but I am ok with what we do have. For example Pueblo is home to the USAF first level pilot school and it has made Pueblo Memorial Airport one of the 50 busiest airports for takeoffs and landings in the county. Pueblo is, also, one of two cities in the state to be part of the NASA agreement that will bring thousands of jobs to the city in the next 10 years. So Pueblo does rely on federal government just like most larger cities in the U.S. But I would not want Pueblo to become strictly a military town like the Springs is as I think a lot of their issues, suburban sprawl and lack of a community feel, goes back to the military and how it has spread out the town and since the military families don't stay more then a few years they never really feel part of the community. I respect your opinion as well and if you like military towns thats great as I am sure the Springs is a great place to live its just not for me.

Last edited by Josseppie; 12-29-2010 at 01:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado