U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-03-2011, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,250 posts, read 22,728,709 times
Reputation: 4338

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Well the military isn't going to shut down the Air Force Academy, Fort Carson has been designated to receive up to 40,000 additional troops/families/civilian employees phased in, and DOD is plussing up NORTHCOM at Peterson AFB. That leaves Schriever AFB, and I don't know what goes on out there, but there is not any talk at this point of shutting it down. That I know of. So I wouldn't count on Colorado Springs losing a base this decade or next.

Also, regarding people that will live in Pueblo all their lives, I do not view this as a good thing. I mentioned in another thread that I lived in Trinidad (just 85 miles south of Pueblo) and the number one problem with that backwards little town is that too many people have lived there all their lives. A good ole' boy network has formed and is resistant to outsiders who come in with ideas for how to make the town better. I've always picked up on this same provincial sentiment in Pueblo. It is very much Trinidad, but bigger. And a little nicer. I realize that a lot of people like to stay in the same place their entire lives, but if you have a whole community of this, it will not be viewed as a good thing by outsiders.
I agree that Pueblo needs outside people to move in with new ideas and that is one reason I am a advocate of new people moving to Pueblo on City Data and why I say that having CSU Pueblo is the best thing to happen to Pueblo is my generation as it brings in new people from all over the region keeping Pueblo the "alpha city" for southern Colorado. I, also, understand that Colorado Springs has been successful but for me I just don't like the feel of that town now compared to what it was when I was a kid. Sure Pueblo needs to grow and a lot but I would prefer Pueblo NOT follow the Colorado Springs model as I don't think the next generation of Puebloans would be happy with the result if we did.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 01-03-2011, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
11,153 posts, read 12,628,383 times
Reputation: 14918
Fair enough, I know that Colorado Springs doesn't appeal to everyone. But it has developed much the same way that other "younger, Western" cities have, such as Phoenix, Tucson, and Albuquerque. Lots of land area, low density, suburban cities like this actually appeal to a lot of people, hence they are all growing steadily. Phoenix being the obvious leading example.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,250 posts, read 22,728,709 times
Reputation: 4338
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Fair enough, I know that Colorado Springs doesn't appeal to everyone. But it has developed much the same way that other "younger, Western" cities have, such as Phoenix, Tucson, and Albuquerque. Lots of land area, low density, suburban cities like this actually appeal to a lot of people, hence they are all growing steadily. Phoenix being the obvious leading example.
Yes, but all the cities you mention do their best to make their downtown's the best by building convention centers, arena's, etc. Pueblo is doing the same thing but is Colorado Springs? No, Instead they are using "urban renewal" to sprawl the sprawl and build yet another mall. So, yes they have a nice downtown but with a msa population of 600,000 people it could be a lot bigger. Even now during this recession Pueblo has more developments in the pipe line then the Springs and once we get the state grant downtown Pueblo will see another burst of construction activity.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-03-2011, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
11,153 posts, read 12,628,383 times
Reputation: 14918
All those other cities I mentioned are slightly larger (Albuquerque/Tucson) or much larger (Phoenix) than Colorado Springs. Pound for pound, downtown Colorado Springs is on the same level as the downtowns of these other cities. It doesn't really need to be bigger. As long as what they have is a nice and viable location for the businesses and homes that are there, the size of it doesn't really matter. That doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement. There are some things I'd like to see Colorado Springs bring downtown. In fact, you should check out the "UFL in Colorado Springs" thread on the Colorado Springs page. Just speculation, but fun...

Also, a convention center does not a downtown make or break. Colorado Springs' lack of one most likely stems from its close proximity to Denver, and the presence of venues at the Broadmoor and Antlers Hilton. Passing on a publicly funded venue is a smart business decision. Why burden the tax payers when there are viable options in the private sector nearby?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-04-2011, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Canon City, Colorado
1,331 posts, read 4,785,795 times
Reputation: 685
Well Josse,..if CSU Pueblo is the greatest thing to happen to Pueblo ( and I am not saying it isn't) THEN.....when all those students finish their education, what do you suppose will happen, hmmm? MOVE...therefore it will become transit...just like COS!!!

The original OP was stating that he didn't want army guys mingling amongst us (who is us?) or to be around government places.
Once again, this is a NON citizen who wants to retire/raise a family AND eventually get Citizenship! Hellooo, it is the government and military folk fighting for our freedom that allow the very thing he seeks!! Crappy bunch to be around, yep, total leppers they are!! Sheesh!!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-04-2011, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,250 posts, read 22,728,709 times
Reputation: 4338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Well Josse,..if CSU Pueblo is the greatest thing to happen to Pueblo ( and I am not saying it isn't) THEN.....when all those students finish their education, what do you suppose will happen, hmmm? MOVE...therefore it will become transit...just like COS!!!
A university is different then a military base. CSU Pueblo will help raise the educational level of the Pueblo region, not just Pueblo, and make this area more attractive for companies to move to. So as time goes on more and more graduates from CSU Pueblo will be able to stay in Pueblo and get a great job effectively ending the "brain drain" that has been a major issue in Pueblo since the economic collapse.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-04-2011, 05:33 PM
CTC
 
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO/North Port,FL
666 posts, read 1,342,698 times
Reputation: 596
I am not sure if this has been discussed in the thread. I have only made one visit to Pueblo. We stopped last may for a few hours on the way back from Santa Fe to our home in Estes Park. My Mother was with us-she is retired historian. Her take on Pueblo was that it had some the best preserved historical architecture of any city she had ever been in. I mean it was great how well preserved downtown Pueblo is. And while we we there, it was obvious that the community is very proud of their heritage-restoration projects were continuing even in this dire economy. The old rail depot really stands out in my mind-just wonderful. There was a very grand hotel in it's day(forgot the name) which had been restored for low income/disability housing. We were looking in through the doors and one of the residents came through and showed us around. The place is still spectacular and immaculate. What a place-the whole downtown was clean and vibrant -this has to count for something. Not to mention the river walk area.

Over the years of living in CO, I have heard a lot of negative comments about Pueblo, but I really thought it was a very interesting place-of course we were just visiting
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-04-2011, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,250 posts, read 22,728,709 times
Reputation: 4338
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC View Post
I am not sure if this has been discussed in the thread. I have only made one visit to Pueblo. We stopped last may for a few hours on the way back from Santa Fe to our home in Estes Park. My Mother was with us-she is retired historian. Her take on Pueblo was that it had some the best preserved historical architecture of any city she had ever been in. I mean it was great how well preserved downtown Pueblo is. And while we we there, it was obvious that the community is very proud of their heritage-restoration projects were continuing even in this dire economy. The old rail depot really stands out in my mind-just wonderful. There was a very grand hotel in it's day(forgot the name) which had been restored for low income/disability housing. We were looking in through the doors and one of the residents came through and showed us around. The place is still spectacular and immaculate. What a place-the whole downtown was clean and vibrant -this has to count for something. Not to mention the river walk area.

Over the years of living in CO, I have heard a lot of negative comments about Pueblo, but I really thought it was a very interesting place-of course we were just visiting
You are right about how we feel towards our historic buildings. That is one of the reasons Pueblo is unique and as we grow the new should look great next to the old. Also, the Riverwalk saved downtown and as it grows it will be a landmark not just for Pueblo but for Colorado. Finally, Colorado does tend to look down on Pueblo but I think that has more to do with jealousy as Pueblo has so much for being such a little city.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-04-2011, 05:57 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
11,153 posts, read 12,628,383 times
Reputation: 14918
It's not jealousy, I promise you that. I don't think Denver, Boulder, any mountain town, or Colorado Springs are jealous, and I don't think rural Colorado looks down on Pueblo.

With that said, I think Pueblo is a decent town that has made a lot of progress and has a long way to go. In a city where there is little population growth, renewing what is already there is important. Pueblo is doing a good job with what they have. The river walk area is commendable.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-04-2011, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,250 posts, read 22,728,709 times
Reputation: 4338
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
It's not jealousy, I promise you that. I don't think Denver, Boulder, any mountain town, or Colorado Springs are jealous, and I don't think rural Colorado looks down on Pueblo.

With that said, I think Pueblo is a decent town that has made a lot of progress and has a long way to go. In a city where there is little population growth, renewing what is already there is important. Pueblo is doing a good job with what they have. The river walk area is commendable.
I give you one point, rural Colorado does not look down on Pueblo in fact most of rural Colorado looks up to Pueblo as we are the hub city in the 20 county region. However, in my opinion, Boulder, Denver and especially Colorado Springs are jealous of Pueblo. That is because while they have reached their limit (Boulder is a college town, Colorado Springs is a military town sandwiched between two major cities and Denver is the state capitol) Pueblo has unlimited potential with a new university, large developments planned, growing and vibrant downtown, large reservoir, future HSR hub, with arguably the best weather.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top