U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-14-2011, 05:23 PM
 
704 posts, read 1,645,354 times
Reputation: 649

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
The ironic thing is that area you said rivals any parts of Colorado was picked as the best historic neighborhood in the state and one of the best in the country.

This is from KOAA:

The North Side District, which includes houses along N. Elizabeth and Greenwood, was chosen as the best old house neighborhood in Colorado.

The link: Pueblo historic neighborhood makes magazine's best list | NewsFirst5.com | Colorado Springs | Pueblo |
What's great is that in that neighborhood you're paying maybe $200K for a home that would easily cost you at least $500K in Denver. I told my wife that the right job opportunity and the right set of circumstances would probably persuade me to move to Pueblo if we could find a home in that neighborhood.

We also really enjoyed the City Park/Zoo. The hiking/walking trails are tree-lined and well-used. Again, it reminded me in so many ways of City Park or Wash Park in Denver. I love parks and hiking and never expected to find a well-maintained green space like that in Pueblo. As I said, I was very impressed by the area.

Pueblo West was a little underwhelming--I was expecting an area very similar to Highlands Ranch, for example, but the found the area to be a little more modest than that. There's obviously nothing wrong with a neighborhood that is downscale from Highlands Ranch, but I was disappointed that Pueblo West wasn't quite what I expected.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 01-14-2011, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,250 posts, read 22,698,487 times
Reputation: 4338
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
What's great is that in that neighborhood you're paying maybe $200K for a home that would easily cost you at least $500K in Denver. I told my wife that the right job opportunity and the right set of circumstances would probably persuade me to move to Pueblo if we could find a home in that neighborhood.

We also really enjoyed the City Park/Zoo. The hiking/walking trails are tree-lined and well-used. Again, it reminded me in so many ways of City Park or Wash Park in Denver. I love parks and hiking and never expected to find a well-maintained green space like that in Pueblo. As I said, I was very impressed by the area.

Pueblo West was a little underwhelming--I was expecting an area very similar to Highlands Ranch, for example, but the found the area to be a little more modest than that. There's obviously nothing wrong with a neighborhood that is downscale from Highlands Ranch, but I was disappointed that Pueblo West wasn't quite what I expected.
I hear that all the time about Pueblo as the reality is usually much better then the perception. I know people tell me I'm wrong but I honestly believe that some of that comes from jealously from people up north, especially the politicians. They see us as a blue collar steel town and look down on us. That is most likely why they did not want us to have a university and we had to fight for it and everything else we have. I, also, think the fact Pueblo has so much water and power in the state when it comes to water issues causes jealousy. There have been many times much of the state is on water restriction yet Puebloans are watering their grass like we live in the tropics. Plus, as I have stated, Pueblo is the only city that can and does stand up to Denver and the politicians do not like that in the Denver area.

Last edited by Josseppie; 01-14-2011 at 05:55 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-14-2011, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
11,153 posts, read 12,602,533 times
Reputation: 14918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That is exactly what Pueblo said in the 1960's about the steel mill as it was going strong. Then look what happened.
Here's the thing. If you are going to say that something "could happen" in the future then perhaps you should provide some kind of source to back up your information.

Anyone can say "this can happen" or "that can happen". I could say that a spaceship full of unicorns will land on your front lawn tomorrow night and without some sort of source to support it, it is as meaningful as you saying that "Colorado Springs could lose a base after 2015". You have nothing to support your argument. Part of me believes you are hoping for a base closure to happen so you'll have something to gloat about.

I've outlined for you reasons why Colorado Springs is not likely to experience a base closure. Furthermore, in the coming years as the U.S. Military will be down-sizing, the impact on Colorado Springs will be minimal. This is because the Army will first cut administrative staff positions at higher headquarters. Senior billets, most of which are on the East Coast in/around the Pentagon will usually be the first to go so as not to interfere with what we refer to as the "Operating Forces". (At least that's what we call it in the Marine Corps. Not sure what the Army refers to it as, but you get the idea.) Another reason for downsizing this way is that it by eliminating senior billets, you are saving more $$$ than by eliminating junior billets. This is easy to understand why, as the senior billets earn more pay and benefits as a privilege of rank.

Thus by the time the cuts trickle down to operational hubs such as Fort Carson, the impact will be minimal. Sorry for the bad news, Joss, but it looks like Colorado Springs' military community is safe for the foreseeable future.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,250 posts, read 22,698,487 times
Reputation: 4338
I hope you are right as I don't want Colorado Springs to lose a base as that does nothing to help Pueblo. I just think Colorado Springs should learn from Pueblo's mistake and diversify their economic base. Then if the bases don't close Colorado Springs has a even stronger economy but if one or two do close they are better prepared to handle it and do not end up like Pueblo with economic stagnation for 30 years.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Colorado Springs,CO
2,368 posts, read 7,208,460 times
Reputation: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I hope you are right as I don't want Colorado Springs to lose a base as that does nothing to help Pueblo. I just think Colorado Springs should learn from Pueblo's mistake and diversify their economic base. Then if the bases don't close Colorado Springs has a even stronger economy but if one or two do close they are better prepared to handle it and do not end up like Pueblo with economic stagnation for 30 years.
I actually agree with Josseppie on this. I think mostly everyone can come to the agreement that Colorado Springs is a military city, and right now the economy is quite frankly not very good in The Springs Imo. So if there are cuts made to the military how could that be anything but bad. Also you do have to diversify your economy and from what I see this city is not doing that. They are making poor decisions across the board, and even as a young adult I can see this is not going to be a city of the future. People moving to Colorado are going to easily bypass this area for Denver.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-15-2011, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
11,153 posts, read 12,602,533 times
Reputation: 14918
CTown, check out my idea for diversifying Colorado Springs' economy. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

//www.city-data.com/forum/color...o-springs.html
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-23-2011, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Canon City, Colorado
1,331 posts, read 4,780,911 times
Reputation: 680
Joss...Joss..Joss....please explain to me HOW a person can be jealous of a town/city. I mean seriously,....I have never thought, "Gee, I sure am jealous of Vail,Hollywood,etc....it sure makes me want to go slap it or something!!" It is an object...can it be jealous of me right back? And, if so, how would it let me know it was jealous of me?
Just wanted to know what "people" you are speaking of that are jealous of Pueblo. I mean how crazy would it be if I were having a conversation with someone and just out of the blue say, " Darn, I sure am jealous of Gillette Wyoming right now!"...... What?Where does that come from? I would bet they would think I was nuts!! They'd be right!!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,250 posts, read 22,698,487 times
Reputation: 4338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SheridanL View Post
Joss...Joss..Joss....please explain to me HOW a person can be jealous of a town/city. I mean seriously,....I have never thought, "Gee, I sure am jealous of Vail,Hollywood,etc....it sure makes me want to go slap it or something!!" It is an object...can it be jealous of me right back? And, if so, how would it let me know it was jealous of me?
Just wanted to know what "people" you are speaking of that are jealous of Pueblo. I mean how crazy would it be if I were having a conversation with someone and just out of the blue say, " Darn, I sure am jealous of Gillette Wyoming right now!"...... What?Where does that come from? I would bet they would think I was nuts!! They'd be right!!
This is a perfect question for the "Pueblo a good place to live thread".

When I say people are jealous of Pueblo I am not referring to your everyday citizens as I am sure they are not. I am referring to the politicians and business leaders or people who follow that. The reason is Pueblo is the alpha city of southern Colorado and even though our growth is slower our political power is much more as we are the only city that can and does stand up to Denver. Plus our long the growth is expected to be a lot as CSU Pueblo is growing and Pueblo will become the southern rail hub.

My point is the future of Colorado Springs is limited because of their location while Pueblo's future is unlimited because of our location. That creates the jealousy in the Springs business and political leaders as they know what will happen and Denver political and business leaders are jealous because they know its only a matter of time till Pueblo is on the same level as them and they don't like it. That is why they have tried to keep Pueblo from having amenities such as a university for as long as they could to keep that from happening sooner but the time is here and the growth is coming and they know it.

IMO, our unlimited potential is one key reason that keeps Pueblo a great place to live.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-23-2011, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
11,153 posts, read 12,602,533 times
Reputation: 14918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post

I am referring to the politicians and business leaders or people who follow that.
Examples? You always state this but have never given examples.


Quote:
The reason is Pueblo is the alpha city of southern Colorado
A matter of opinion. I suppose it depends on where you draw the line. If you're going 3rd Congressional District, Grand Junction is Pueblo's equal. If you consider "Southern Colorado" anything from Pueblo and South, Southeast, then I suppose Pueblo is the Alpha city for the region. If you include Colorado Springs in "Southern Colorado" (Some do, some don't) then it annihilates Pueblo as the Alpha city for the region.


Quote:
...our political power is much more as we are the only city that can and does stand up to Denver. Plus our long the growth is expected to be a lot as CSU Pueblo is growing and Pueblo will become the southern rail hub.
Examples? Proof, not opinion.

Quote:
My point is the future of Colorado Springs is limited because of their location while Pueblo's future is unlimited because of our location.
Your opinion. Not fact. If Colorado Springs' future were limited due to its location, then this would have been the case 50 years ago when it was still smaller than Pueblo. After all, the city is still in the same spot. By your reasoning, Pueblo should have taken off and Colorado Springs suffered due to its location limiting it. Obviously this is not how things happened, so forgive me for not buying your line of reasoning.


Quote:
That creates the jealousy in the Springs business and political leaders as they know what will happen and Denver political and business leaders are jealous because they know its only a matter of time till Pueblo is on the same level as them and they don't like it. That is why they have tried to keep Pueblo from having amenities such as a university for as long as they could to keep that from happening sooner but the time is here and the growth is coming and they know it.
I think you are putting way more thought into this than anyone else is. You have yet to provide an example of how Denver tried to stop Pueblo from having a university. And with all the problems facing the state, I am confident that the politicians in Denver are NOT sitting around plotting on how they can stop Pueblo from growing. Pueblo is more likely to stop itself than any state politicians.


Quote:
IMO, our unlimited potential is one key reason that keeps Pueblo a great place to live.
I do agree that Pueblo has a lot of potential. But I do not think it is the major player that you think it is. It's great that you love your city, and I do not fault you for that. But I think you may have a little "Colorado Springs envy" as you are constantly making comparisons to Colorado Springs, not the other way around. It seems like all your posts about Pueblo are for your own benefit. As if you are trying to convince yourself.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 01-23-2011, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Pueblo - Colorado's Second City
12,250 posts, read 22,698,487 times
Reputation: 4338
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Examples? You always state this but have never given examples.




A matter of opinion. I suppose it depends on where you draw the line. If you're going 3rd Congressional District, Grand Junction is Pueblo's equal. If you consider "Southern Colorado" anything from Pueblo and South, Southeast, then I suppose Pueblo is the Alpha city for the region. If you include Colorado Springs in "Southern Colorado" (Some do, some don't) then it annihilates Pueblo as the Alpha city for the region.

Examples? Proof, not opinion.



Here is a map of the "Pueblo region" from the federal government. Its about 400,000 people.

Your opinion. Not fact. If Colorado Springs' future were limited due to its location, then this would have been the case 50 years ago when it was still smaller than Pueblo. After all, the city is still in the same spot. By your reasoning, Pueblo should have taken off and Colorado Springs suffered due to its location limiting it. Obviously this is not how things happened, so forgive me for not buying your line of reasoning.

Colorado Springs got the military and that is the ONLY reason they grew. The fact remains they are in between two major cities so their region is only the Pikes Peak Region, El Paso and Teller counties.

I think a example is the turtle and the rabbit. Colorado Springs is the Rabbit as the military caused a lot of growth in a short period of time while Pueblo is the turtle as our growth is based on things that take a longer time yet over time is more stable.


I think you are putting way more thought into this than anyone else is. You have yet to provide an example of how Denver tried to stop Pueblo from having a university. And with all the problems facing the state, I am confident that the politicians in Denver are NOT sitting around plotting on how they can stop Pueblo from growing. Pueblo is more likely to stop itself than any state politicians.

This one is hard to find proof on line and this is the best I can do. Vincent Massari was the senator from Pueblo and was very powerful in the state of Colorado. His goal was to give Pueblo and 4 year college but Denver did not want Pueblo to have one. There is more information in his papers at CSU Pueblo but this is all they have on line:

He was involved with political activities and served for twenty-two years as a Democratic Senator and Representative in the Colorado legislature. As a politician, he spent considerable effort in fighting for a four-year college and university for Pueblo. He died November 16, 1976.


The link: RMOA - Document


I do agree that Pueblo has a lot of potential. But I do not think it is the major player that you think it is. It's great that you love your city, and I do not fault you for that. But I think you may have a little "Colorado Springs envy" as you are constantly making comparisons to Colorado Springs, not the other way around. It seems like all your posts about Pueblo are for your own benefit. As if you are trying to convince yourself.
My responses in bold.

I am glad we agree that Pueblo has a lot of potential so that is a starting point. As shown by the map I posted Pueblo is the economic hub of the Pueblo region and that makes us the "alpha city" for southern Colorado. As for why I post so much about it? As a life long Puebloan I understand that people like to talk down Pueblo so I feel that one of my responsibilities as someone who loves his town is to always stand up for her so that is what I do. Trust me it would be easier to not stand up for Pueblo from people who are from Denver and Colorado Springs who think its fun to put down my city. In other words, if I did not feel Pueblo was a good place to live I would not be so quick to tell everyone. I would have moved.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top