Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 11:29 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,554,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
OK--the Durangoans will flame me for sure, but here's the deal. Durango is in one of the prettier areas of Colorado, no denying that. But, make a simple comparison. Durango and Montrose are like "bookend" towns, Montrose at the north end of the San Juan Mountains, Durango at the south. One can argue that Durango has a nicer setting for the town, but Montrose has milder winters. Durango is bigger in population and has a college. Still, the two should be at least somewhat comparable, right? Well, housing prices in Durango are just about DOUBLE those in Montrose. There is no way the income levels for residents of those two towns are THAT much different.

So, you have to ask: Is the Montrose real estate market grossly undervalued? Hardly. Housing there is by no means cheap. So, must it mean that the Durango market is way overpriced and prime for a "correction?" That's my conclusion. Given the difference in community amemities, I could see a 25-30% difference. Nearly a hundred? Somethin' ain't right.

NOOOOO!! Don't let the cat out of the bag about Montrose. I am probably going to move there when I get out of the service. Please everyone, don't move to Montrose until after I do, so I can still afford a home. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 11:45 AM

18,601 posts, read 33,168,447 times
Durango is in the mountains, Montrose is about a half-hour drive to the mountains. I imagine that makes the difference. Durango's actual setting is much prettier (and higher altitude, for winters).
The economics are, I think, a bit better for a job around Montrose. The outlying areas of Durango have the same high-priced, outside-money housing that the mountain areas outside Montrose have a lot of (Ridgway, Ouray).
If I didn't have to work, I'd live in Durango first. I am considering retirement to Durango. I had considered it for Ridgway/Ouray, but decided that it was too isolated.
A dear friend of mine moved from Ridgway rural to Montrose for retirement and finds the town very suitable for daily living.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:34 PM

4 posts, read 41,290 times
Default Durango and surrounding areas

We just spent 10 days in the Ouray/Silverton/Durango area and fell in love. We currently live in a small town SE of Phoenix, but grew up in Il/Oh...with seasons and miss that life style. I have been reading many of the posts on this forum and can say that I'm terribly confused about moving to Co. We spent two of our 10 days looking at Bayfield, Cortez, Dolores, and Manco(?). Everyone was so nice and friendly --in AZ you're lucky if someone looks at you and smiles --even in a small town.

We have our own business in a niche area and from looking around it appears that we could make it work in the Durango too. We are looking to simplify our life and have come to realize that being happy does not correspond to the "stuff" one accumulates. We spoke with a lot of local people in the different areas that we are interested in and got many views. However, we never encountered the negativity about various things, from sprawl to cost of living, from anyone who we spoke with, like I've seen on this forum. We are not planning to build a home, but find one that is already built and probably older --we don't want to add to the "sprawl."

I would like some input on your views of living or moving in/to Colorado.

Thanks

Old 07-20-2007, 11:28 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
rosez75

Quote:
you wrote:

However, we never encountered the negativity about various things, from sprawl to cost of living, from anyone who we spoke with, like I've seen on this forum.
I moved to Colorado a year ago and I have NEVER encountered the negativity written about so copiously on this forum. Thankfully it is only the meaningless whining and complaining of those who write it, myself included on ocassion.

Welcome to Colorado....Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado