Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2007, 07:54 PM
amb amb started this thread

36 posts, read 110,177 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My husband and I are trying to plan our trip from Las Vegas to Denver. I've already nixed a couple ideas from posts here. Now we're thinking of stopping for the night in Grand Junction. We're looking for a place we can take a morning walk with our dog to get some coffee, before we head on out. I suppose since we'll have our dog with us we'd also like to find a casual deli or something we can get a to go dinner at (to maybe eat at a nice park). Can people familiar with the area please let me know if Grand Junction would be a good place to find this? I would also appreciate hotel, cafe, and deli recommendations too. Any areas that are unsafe and we should just completely avoid?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,433 times
Keep in mind, it's been a while since I have been one that stops into Grand Junction with my dog. I was a sales rep and would drive from Colorado Springs to GJ before I moved there with my pup.

Anyhow, the Holiday Inn on Horizon Drive off I-70 (left as you are heading east towards Denver, and the first ((IIRC)) hotel on the left on Horizon (the signs will tell you you are going towards Walker Field. Accepts dogs.

It's not a fancy place but ask for one of the of the first level rooms that face Horizon Drive so you can take your pooch out without going through the hallways and such. They have a pretty big courtyard out front and I used to walk my dog up and down Horizon to get him to veg out a bit but he was pretty used to traveling with me so it was a short walk.

There is/was a diner next door (the name is not gelling with me right now) that you can go grab a cup of coffee. I had many a dinners from there as the Holiday Inn food, frankly for the price, not so good and my company didn't want to pay hotel/motel pricing.

I am pretty sure they have a swimming pool (never really bothered since I would go there on business) so if you need some downtime, that's a way to release your stress.

There are many other restaurants (if you take a right out of the Holiday Inn parking lot) on the other side of I-70. Heck if you just want a burrito or a Denny's egg and toast, those are there too.

Horizon Drive, which with my experience from, has the best to offer for those staying for a night or two. While I lived there for 2 1/2 years or such after my sales travels there, I still would go up to Horizon for fast food, and such but the Holiday Inn there accepts pets, it's safe (but still lock your trunk, doors and if you have a truck topper, make sure you have a lock for that too).

BTW, if for some reason you need dog food, prescriptions, food, whatever, City Market at 2830 North Avenue is pretty close. Granted I haven't lived there since 1995 so perhaps there's one closer than that since I left but it's not that far at all.

Oh and some of my fellow/former Grand Junction people might slay me with this but Dos Hombres Dos Hombres Mexican Restaurant for Dining in Grand Junction Colorado used to have decent psuedo Mexican food. They opened up two here in C Springs but one (the one closest to me) died a slow death but I think it was the location as it's transferred owners and new restaurants more than Michael Jackson has changed his nose.

But don't poopoo downtown GJ...I can't remember the name of the Italian restaurant we used to go to but dang that's good food.

GJ has a lot of great places to eat so perhaps one that lives there now can direct you to some good places.

BTW, if all else fails for food, go check out Old Chicago Old Chicago Website (broken link) They were just building it in GJ when I was moving out. I've known them for years here in C Springs and their artichoke dip is sooo yummy. Used to nosh on that when I lived in Denver too.

Anyhow, I hope that helps. Have a safe trip and if I can help you with anything else in GJ, please let me know.

OH, BTW, if you can, take a drive up to Colorado National Monument in the early morning. In-*******(didn't type it as you know what I mean)-credible. Your dog will like it too.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:13 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,914,433 times
Here's the information on the Holiday Inn...Not five star amenties but it allows pets:

Lodging - Grand Junction, Colorado

Old 07-20-2007, 10:19 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
amb

A good place to walk your dog off leash is the Tabagauche trails area along Monument Road, which is located about 2 miles from the junction of Monument rd and Broadway.

My favorite place to grab a bite to eat is the Kanah Creek Brewery. Their local brews are also excellent.

enjoy your visit to Grand Junction.....Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado