Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 07:58 AM

28 posts, read 133,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiEdits View Post
I wonder if anyone can share some thoughts about what it's like living in Trinidad. We're two middle-aged folks, liberal, work for ourselves.
Hello Heidi! Just wondering if anyone responded publicly or privately with any information you might share. We have been looking for a suitable place to relocate that has a liberal feel, low crime and beautiful scenery. I lived in Colorado (front range) for years....never thought of southern Colorado as an option until recently.

Best of luck! JD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 09:31 PM

18 posts, read 64,481 times
Default Can anyone tell me about Trinidad, CO?

Hello!

My husband is looking at taking a job in Trinidad, so I am looking for some information about the area! Can anyone tell me about the area? Is is fairly safe, are there a lot of outdoor activities? I would appreciate any info!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:06 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,366,184 times
it's the sex change capital of the nation. that is what Trinidad is known for.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:49 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Threads merged.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:31 PM

18 posts, read 64,481 times
Well, saying it is the sex change capital of the world doesn't really describe it much. And I have heard that the residents of Trinidad aren't exactly pleased of that fact. However, now that this thread has been merged and I have been able to read some of the other posters opinions, I have found some very helpful information!

Last edited by suzco; 04-28-2008 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: threads merged

Old 04-28-2008, 02:44 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo713 View Post
Well, saying it is the sex change capital of the world doesn't really describe it much. And I have heard that the residents of Trinidad aren't exactly pleased of that fact. However, now that this thread has been merged and I have been able to read some of the other posters opinions, I have found some very helpful information!
Doing a search for existing threads before posting will often turn up helpful information. Glad you're finding that some of the information is helpful.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:35 AM

1 posts, read 9,906 times
We lived in Trinidad for 3.5 years (1998-2002) while my husband worked on the construction of a state prison by Hoehne. The downtown area is a National Historic District, and there are many homes built in the late 1800's and early 1900's in the town.

If you want a hopping nightlife, it's probably not the place to move. When we were there, the best jobs were with the companies involving natural gas production. I don't know if that's still the case. Most of the jobs didn't pay very well, so a lot of the young people would leave for the bigger cities. Quite a few of my friends I met at college had moved to Trinidad when they retired, so they didn't have to worry about the job market. When we were there, it was a safe place to live.

I was pleasantly surprised at how friendly the people could be...if your car stalled, people would always pull over and help push it out of the intersection, etc. We had to get used to "Trinidad time" as we called it...some of the stores would open whenever the owner got there, not necessarily what the hours were posted! Things slow down in the winter and most projects are put off until spring.

Once in a while, we would spot a pre- or post-surgery patient but for the most part, Trinidadians treated them just like anyone else. The local hospital was grateful for Dr. Biber's business he brought to the town. Several people told me that the locals really liked Dr. Biber and he had many local patients in his regular practice.

We went down to Raton regularly and I got used to driving the pass pretty quickly. It was rarely closed during the time we lived there...but it was during the drought so maybe there wasn't much snow to close it down during that period of time. If you drive on Raton Pass in the late spring/early summer, slow down a bit and roll down your windows so you can smell the wild lilacs in bloom. Also, slow down coming down the Pass toward Raton on the NM side...there is often a state trooper waiting there!

The weather is pretty much "prairie weather" as I call it. It is mostly dry and sunny. It's right where the prairie meets the mountains, so it can get windy at times. It didn't snow very much but when it did, it melted away quickly and we didn't have much trouble with ice. The only times I had problems were a few times we had to drive back home from Pueblo in an unexpected storm, but we just took it easy. We saw several hailstorms while we were there, but no tornadoes. During the summer, it rarely got above 90-95 degrees (unlike Pueblo!) and once the sun starts setting, it cools down nicely in the evenings.

I went to Trinidad State Junior College and enjoyed it. (One of the few junior colleges left with dorms). They also had quite a few adult education classes on various topics. The tuition was very reasonable and if you were a full-time student and kept up a 3.5 gpa, their honors scholarship of $750 a semester covered all the tuition and fees. They have a nursing program that doesn't take as long to get into as the big cities. Adams State also has satellite courses available at Trinidad in a couple of majors, for those wanting to go on to a bachelor's program.

There are quite a few artists who live in the area. Several live on the edge of the mountains and one couple had built a meditation maze and a sweat lodge.

There are many people with Native American and Spanish backgrounds as well as Italians. You hear "youse guys" quite a lot!

One of the local favorites is green chile and cheese on top of burgers and breakfast burritos, or just about anything you want it on. It's very addicting! In the fall, the smell of green chiles roasting is wonderful.

I could think of more to add, but I don't want to totally overdo it with my first post!!

Last edited by newleaf63; 05-03-2008 at 01:48 AM..

Old 05-13-2008, 07:49 PM

2 posts, read 11,797 times
I have lived in Trinidad for a while. Trinidad is a rough western town. There are bars on every corner and alcohol addiction is rampant. I have had several instances of vandalism to my car. I have had things stolen.

The cost of living is extremely high. Housing is expensive. Utilities are expensive too. When I first moved here I was told that rentals don't last long because of the gas workers so I had better take what I could get. I did. I have watched drug deals from my window. There are active gangs as well.

I really don't see how local people have made it here. One guy owns all the gas stations and Trinidadians pay .30 more a gallon for gas than people in Pueblo.

I have a good job here and I have struggled since I got here. I don't see how people with families survive. Perhaps that is why there is so much crime.

There are very few churches here.

I love the area around Trinidad and Colorado but I wish I had done a little more research before moving here.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:04 PM

15 posts, read 65,338 times
Default Trinidad

Thinking of a possible move to Trinidad from St. Francis, MN.

Average low in winter? High in Summer?
Is the weather decent for sinus pressure sufferers?

Any CNC Machinist positions somewhat close?
What is the Artist population like? Any stained glassers?

I've seen pictures of some properties for sale in the area, and they are quite nice; what kind of creatures would be a hazard to Alpacas, not to mention cats, dogs, and humans? ie: snakes, spiders, etc.

My husband and I are childless, and want to escape the ratrace, and be left alone, basically. Could it happen here?

Old 07-25-2008, 04:47 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
I happen to like Trinidad, but you need to read these forums and know what a lot of southern Colorado is. It's a pretty area, but traditionally not an easy place to make a living.

Your climate question is easily answered here: Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Trinidad, Colorado, United States of America
I like Trinidad's climate very much and, if climate were the only criteria, it would be a top pick for me for a Colorado town. Compared to a place like Minnesota, Trinidad is much warmer and milder, but also quite arid and brown for much of the year.

Trinidad's economy has been pretty depressed for many years. It is improving now, in large part because of the drilling boom in the area for coalbed methane gas. I can't tell you the job situation for your husband's profession. Yes, there are some artists in the area.

Hazards to alpacas? Probably several--but mountain lions and coyotes come to mind first. Coyotes are common all over Colorado, and mountain lions are more common that most people think. There are also rattlesnakes, bears, hawks, eagles, etc. that may or may not be a threat to domestic animals and livestock.

The other factor that may be a real shock to a Minnesotan is cultural. Trinidad and much of that region of southern Colorado and northern New Mexico is heavily Hispanic--often 50% or more in many towns. Many of those families can trace their roots back many generations. Hearing Spanish being spoken on the street or in a business is not a recent phenomenon in that region--it has been the norm forever. People from a completely Anglo-cultured area of the US often never get used to the difference in culture. The best advice is come and spend some extended time there--some people embrace the local culture, some hate it. You probably won't know which you are until you experience it yourself.

This website, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Idaho, Montana, Nevada Information and Vacation Planner , gives a lot of good information on the area, though it can be a little too "Chamber of Commerce" at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado