Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 10:44 AM

2,279 posts, read 3,971,963 times

Advertisements

At least in my field (supply chain/logisitcs), there aren't many hits coming up on Indeed or any other job site for that matter. Has anyone been noticing this? Has Colorado's job market gone stagnant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 11:40 AM

26,206 posts, read 49,012,208 times
The job market here is very close to the national averages for unemployment and such.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:13 PM

90 posts, read 285,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3N1TH 0N3 View Post
At least in my field (supply chain/logisitcs), there aren't many hits coming up on Indeed or any other job site for that matter. Has anyone been noticing this? Has Colorado's job market gone stagnant?
Are you kidding? The job situation here has been much worse that most other states for quite some time, especially in the formerly booming categories of IT, Telco and engineering.

The headline unemployment rate does not count self-employed people whose business has failed (Colorado is a huge entrepreneur state), new graduates, new migrations into the state, people who have exhausted their unemployment benefits, people who take part-time jobs to make ends meet, and many other categories. The true unemployment/underemployment rate here is at least 20%.

You do know that Colorado's unemployment compensation fund went insolvent last year and had to be bailed out by the Feds, right?

Old 01-14-2011, 04:57 PM

7,786 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Things are tough in my area SW CO lucky I am self employed and can't collect. I still do many small jobs that are hardly worth doing that lead to bigger jobs that pay the bills so far. this is a great area for the self employed willing to hustle not so much if you need a guaranteed paycheck from someone else taking the risks. I am a carpenter and my skill is still needed but not in the help wanted adds I find work so in turn it finds me. get out an hustle you will do fine

Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 AM

18,208 posts, read 25,840,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Things are tough in my area SW CO lucky I am self employed and can't collect. I still do many small jobs that are hardly worth doing that lead to bigger jobs that pay the bills so far. this is a great area for the self employed willing to hustle not so much if you need a guaranteed paycheck from someone else taking the risks. I am a carpenter and my skill is still needed but not in the help wanted adds I find work so in turn it finds me. get out an hustle you will do fine
Parfleche is right. For the most part housing is slowed to a stop in the Grand Valley. Homebuilders have been doing a lot of remodeling of older homes to keep themselves halfway busy.

In my situation I've lost the handymen who lived in my area as they relocated. They were oil field hands; they drew as much unemployment as they could, wanted to stay in the area and keep their families here. They wound up moving to North Dakota where oil field work is active.

Old 01-16-2011, 04:38 PM

168 posts, read 381,310 times
I've read quite a few articles on unemployment that mention it's harder for men to find jobs now, it has applied to women but just not as large scaled.....Having recently returned to CO after being in a bottom rated state (Nevada) I can say that at least there's more opportunity here than there was there, just based on sheer numbers and variety of business' here.....

It's hard to find anywhere in the US that hasn't hit a huge crisis of some form, tho.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado