Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 10:30 AM

92 posts, read 403,030 times

Advertisements

I noticed that Cedaredge will have their Mosquito Abatement the end of June. Is their a significant Mosquito issue in the Cedaredge, Panoia, Hotchkiss area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 04:53 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Irrigation ditches, farm ponds, yup there's mosquitoes in Delta County.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:06 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,668,226 times
Lots of cities have mosquito abatement programs, in the mountains and the Front Range. Consider it a good thing that Cedaredge is being proactive.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:12 PM

First thank you for your replies. I was wondering though if the mosquito problem in Cedaredge is as bad as it is in Grand Junction. Somehow I was thinking it wouldn't be as bad as there.

Also, I thought of another question I had but am going a bit off the path of mosquitoes regarding Cedaredge.

Does anyone know how long it takes to drive from Cedaredge to those little lakes on the Grand Mesa? Say as far as the Mesa Lakes Resort? My husband seems to think it only takes about 15 minutes but I am not so sure about that. I think it may take a lot longer.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:45 PM

Default One more question, please..

In the Cedaredge, Hotchkiss, Eckard, etc. area we would like to know whether or not the homes are supplied by natural or propane gas? My husband really likes this area but was concerned that if the area is on propane the cost of heating would be very high.
Thank you for any replies.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:23 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Both including wood heat, wood pellets and coal. Just depends on where you live.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:31 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttoretire View Post
First thank you for your replies. I was wondering though if the mosquito problem in Cedaredge is as bad as it is in Grand Junction. Somehow I was thinking it wouldn't be as bad as there.

Also, I thought of another question I had but am going a bit off the path of mosquitoes regarding Cedaredge.

Does anyone know how long it takes to drive from Cedaredge to those little lakes on the Grand Mesa? Say as far as the Mesa Lakes Resort? My husband seems to think it only takes about 15 minutes but I am not so sure about that. I think it may take a lot longer.
The mosquitoes on the Grand Mesa are horrible in the summer. Since Cedaredge sits on the SW side of the Grand Mesa, it would make sense that they can get pretty bad. However, with a little bit of prevention, you can probably avoid most of their problematic bites. I lived in GJ for almost 7 years, and I never thought the problem there was that bad. It was when I went up to the Grand Mesa (and I was up there almost every day working for the Forest Service) that I was eaten alive.

To get to Mesa Lakes Resort from Cedaredge, you will be looking at closer to half hour in the summer. However, there are plenty of lakes on the GM that would be within 15 minutes or so from Cedaredge, and they will be considerably less crowed that Mesa Lakes Resort.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:09 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
From the Colorado River bridge on Broadway ( Colo 340 ), it's about a 40-45 minute drive to the Mesa Lakes Resort. From downtown GJ. The drive would be about 3 minutes shorter. Having lived in Alaska and British Columbia, where mosquitos are truly horrendous at certain times of the year, I always chuckle when someone refers to the mosquitos on the Grand Mesa as being horrible. Granted they are a nuisance but a very minor nuisance compared to places with serious mosquito populations. I use a repellent with Neem oil from the Vitamin Cottage and the mosquitos are a non isssue for me.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:02 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
From the Colorado River bridge on Broadway ( Colo 340 ), it's about a 40-45 minute drive to the Mesa Lakes Resort. From downtown GJ. The drive would be about 3 minutes shorter. Having lived in Alaska and British Columbia, where mosquitos are truly horrendous at certain times of the year, I always chuckle when someone refers to the mosquitos on the Grand Mesa as being horrible. Granted they are a nuisance but a very minor nuisance compared to places with serious mosquito populations. I use a repellent with Neem oil from the Vitamin Cottage and the mosquitos are a non isssue for me.
I do think it depends on the year. After working out in the field day in and day out, I can tell you the mosquitoes can be pretty bad certain years. Not every year did I experience problems, but I often had to wear a head net or re-apply a deet spray every 30 minutes. I chose to wear the head net. If you are hiking around and working up a good sweat, they seem to bother me pretty bad. The only time I was in Alaska, the mosquitoes never bothered me compared with the Grand Mesa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado