Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseforyoureyes View Post
My husband worked for a government agency in California. We kept a watchful eye on USAJobs for about 8 months, applying here and there for federal positions opening up in Colorado. Since he was already a federal employee, he was able to get on merit promotion lists, and eventually made Best Qualified for an agency in Boulder. Because he had the specialized federal skills they were looking for, he got phone interviewed, then was flown in by the agency to interview in person a week later.

We still think it was something of a miracle that this all happened, but it did. So it's definitely not impossible!

It took me just over a month to find a job for myself. I had legal, administrative, and copywriting experience.

The move can be accomplished if you're prepared.
I bolded the salient part of the above post. The last sentence is also critical. About 99% of the people who post about wanting to relocate to Colorado lack one or both of the advantages the poster above possessed. Most likely, that 99% will be SOL in their job search in Colorado if they lack such advantages, local connections, preparation, etc. Again, just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 12:22 PM

18 posts, read 34,545 times
I think it's worth noting, however, that I'm only 2.5 years out of college, and possess merely 2 years of professional experience - most of it general office work as a legal/administrative assistant. Yet, I was able to land a job in a month.

Like I said, it's not impossible. A lot of it is based on the same old tricks: strong cover letters, a resume with one or more selling points, interview preparation, etc.

The economy sucks everywhere, but that's not reason for everyone to lose heart or give up on their relocation goals. Just be realistic about it. It's a tricky job market, but people are still hiring.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:00 PM

48 posts, read 78,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noiseforyoureyes View Post
I think it's worth noting, however, that I'm only 2.5 years out of college, and possess merely 2 years of professional experience - most of it general office work as a legal/administrative assistant. Yet, I was able to land a job in a month.

Like I said, it's not impossible. A lot of it is based on the same old tricks: strong cover letters, a resume with one or more selling points, interview preparation, etc.

The economy sucks everywhere, but that's not reason for everyone to lose heart or give up on their relocation goals. Just be realistic about it. It's a tricky job market, but people are still hiring.

Maybee there is hope for me after all!!!!When I moved to Boston it took 10 days to get a job!!!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 PM

112 posts, read 168,142 times
I was fortunate that when I moved back to Denver after living overseas for a couple years, my old employer was happy to hire me back without so much as an interview. That said, I didn't have the job fully lined up until I moved here and I came anyway. My wife found a job she loves after about a month of searching.

In my case, connections helped. In hers, she had a strong resume, good interviewing skills, and got lucky. Despite the way it sounds when you read some people's posts, there are actually jobs here but you need to be here to get them, and connections make all the difference in the world.

Jazzlover is my absolute favorite poster on this board. Love that dude, he cracks me up.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:15 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,969,837 times
My dad just accepted an offer in Denver - he works in IT.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:51 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
My wife and I made a cross country move from Virginia to Colorado with no job offers in sight. We both found good jobs quite easily, BUT that was back in '06 when the economy still had a heartbeat. We lucked out with the timing! I'd be very reluctant to attemtpt a stunt like that in todays economy. But that's just me. I am less adventurous and less willing to take risks than I was at a younger age in my life. On the other hand, if you are young at heart, and you have a heartfelt committment to moving, you may be pleasantly surprised to discover doors opening for you....almost magically. Where there's a will...there's a way!

Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Information Technology; 18+ yrs experience; internal company connections; signing bonus, but no relocation assistance; lateral career move; increased salary.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:10 AM

24 posts, read 48,201 times
Well, my husband works IT in a local city government and is currently working on obtaining his CCNA. We figured to pad his resume while things are not looking so hot in Colorado. Since he works in local government, a transfer is out of the question. I have lots of extended family living in Colorado and this summer my brother and his family are moving to Evergreen as his time as an Army dentist is coming to an end. It sounds like we just need to be patient and creative.

For those who have moved to Colorado from out of state in IT, what areas are you involved in? Software, network admin., etc.?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:32 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,048,379 times
Enterprise Architecture.

Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM

27 posts, read 54,305 times
I transferred here to the denver office of our company, work in insurance and job is dependent on the national (not local or regional) economy. Applied to several jobs in my field from out of state prior to the transfer and never received a response, was told by one recruiter that employers generally only consider local applicants. Now that I'm actually here I like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado