Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:55 PM

43 posts, read 143,126 times

Advertisements

Okay so check it out:

I moved to Colorado over a year ago but never got new plates for my car. I did get a Colorado drivers license but the plates I put off until now. I didn't know it was law to change it within 90 days of claiming residency here!

I received a notice from Oregon DMV (moved from there) today that is asking for proof of insurance for September of 2010, otherwise they would suspend my license. I do have proof of insurance on my vehicle for that time, it's just a Colorado policy... not an Oregon one. Apparently they can't find that in the VIN system? I guess it's a different policy number than the one I gave to them a couple years ago when they last asked for proof.

Now I'm freaking out. Are they going to try and suspend my license now because it wasn't an Oregon policy I had? I don't even have an Oregon drivers license anymore! What if the state of Colorado finds out I didn't register my vehicle in the first 90 days? Oh man, this sucks.

If my car is registered in a specific state, am I required to have an insurance policy for that state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looopson View Post
Okay so check it out:

I moved to Colorado over a year ago but never got new plates for my car. I did get a Colorado drivers license but the plates I put off until now. I didn't know it was law to change it within 90 days of claiming residency here!

I received a notice from Oregon DMV (moved from there) today that is asking for proof of insurance for September of 2010, otherwise they would suspend my license. I do have proof of insurance on my vehicle for that time, it's just a Colorado policy... not an Oregon one. Apparently they can't find that in the VIN system? I guess it's a different policy number than the one I gave to them a couple years ago when they last asked for proof.

Now I'm freaking out. Are they going to try and suspend my license now because it wasn't an Oregon policy I had? I don't even have an Oregon drivers license anymore! What if the state of Colorado finds out I didn't register my vehicle in the first 90 days? Oh man, this sucks.

If my car is registered in a specific state, am I required to have an insurance policy for that state?
Yep, it sounds like you are screwed. And if OR puts a hold on your license, CO is obligated to suspend your license.

If I was you the first thing I'd do, is send the OR DMV a copy of your current CO license and registration and insurance card, and tell them you are no longer a OR resident. If that doesn't convince them to stop the action against you, I can think of two possible solutions.

1. File a SR-22 certificate with OR to show that you currently have insurance in CO, so there is no reason for them to put a hold on your license.

Oregon DMV SR-22 Information

2. Come clean with the CO DMV. Inform them that you did not registerer your car on time. Pay the back registration and fines. Then send that to OR.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:06 PM

43 posts, read 143,126 times
Thanks for the quick response.

The notice I received in the mail provides a box where I can write in a company and policy number for them to forward the notice to that insurance company and check for its authenticity. I was gonna go ahead and do that. My only concern is that the insurance company is gonna get back with Oregon DMV and say that it was valid at the time but it was in Colorado. At the same time on the back of the form for "insurance company use only" on it it says to "discard the notice if liability insurance was in effect." Would the insurance company alert Oregon DMV that the policy was for another state?

There is also a "reason for denial" list on the back for insurance companies to mark. They say "comprehensive only", "policy expired before selection time", "policy effective after selection time", "vehicle not covered on policy", "policy number given incorrect," and "lapse in policy." As you can see none of these reasons say "policy valid in other state." Hmmm...

I think I'm going to call Oregon DMV tomorrow and explain to them my predicament. I'm a Colorado resident with valid Colorado insurance and a valid Colorado drivers license who waited too long to register their vehicle. I'm sure this has happened to people before. I hope so...

You said to send them proof of my license, insurance, and registration for CO. My registeration is in Oregon though. Not sure how that would help my case. To be honest I've been driving a CO vehicle and this one very little. I guess that's another reason I was putting it off for so long.

Last edited by looopson; 02-07-2011 at 10:22 PM..

Old 02-08-2011, 02:36 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looopson View Post
Thanks for the quick response.

The notice I received in the mail provides a box where I can write in a company and policy number for them to forward the notice to that insurance company and check for its authenticity. I was gonna go ahead and do that. My only concern is that the insurance company is gonna get back with Oregon DMV and say that it was valid at the time but it was in Colorado. At the same time on the back of the form for "insurance company use only" on it it says to "discard the notice if liability insurance was in effect." Would the insurance company alert Oregon DMV that the policy was for another state?

There is also a "reason for denial" list on the back for insurance companies to mark. They say "comprehensive only", "policy expired before selection time", "policy effective after selection time", "vehicle not covered on policy", "policy number given incorrect," and "lapse in policy." As you can see none of these reasons say "policy valid in other state." Hmmm...

I think I'm going to call Oregon DMV tomorrow and explain to them my predicament. I'm a Colorado resident with valid Colorado insurance and a valid Colorado drivers license who waited too long to register their vehicle. I'm sure this has happened to people before. I hope so...

You said to send them proof of my license, insurance, and registration for CO. My registeration is in Oregon though. Not sure how that would help my case. To be honest I've been driving a CO vehicle and this one very little. I guess that's another reason I was putting it off for so long.
Well either way, if you are a CO resident, you need to get your car registered in CO. Once you do that, the issue with OR should be solved.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,344,552 times
First let me say that I do not know the details on how it works but I believe that each state checks their own system (it is not national). As long as you can prove that you had insurance, that's the main thing, you should be ok.

Since you are a CO resident, might as well make the needed/proper changes/registration now.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:05 AM

6,779 posts, read 9,332,326 times
I had this happen to me with California -- even AFTER I registered my vehicle in CO and got the CO driver's license within 90 days. All I had to do was call the California DMV and then send them a form (via regular mail, not online) that basically stated that I was no longer a resident of California.

There seems to be no system in place that notifies your previous state that you've registered your vehicle in a new state. Same thing with voting -- not that I would try to fradulently vote, but I'm still registered in CA and PA, even though in both cases I've called to say that I no longer live in these places. I have family and a former roommate who have told me that my name is still on the books in both places.

If I were you, I would just go and register the vehicle in CO. I don't know if they'll even ask if it's been past 90 days.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:56 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post

If I were you, I would just go and register the vehicle in CO. I don't know if they'll even ask if it's been past 90 days.
Personally, I'd go to the county DMV office, not the state office. I moved here in June and it all seemed very mundane with no questions asked.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:04 PM

363 posts, read 1,043,048 times
90 days or when you get a job. Because we had so many seasonal employees (winter sports), most never changed their plates or insurance, until they became full time.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:53 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Hopefully OR reports you to CO and you're charged with the tax fraud you've perpetrated on the taxpayers of CO.

Old 02-12-2011, 09:02 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Hopefully OR reports you to CO and you're charged with the tax fraud you've perpetrated on the taxpayers of CO.
A harsh way of saying it, but it's sort of what I've been thinking, also. I think a few people are mistaking the difference between the state didn't notice and what the intent of the law is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado