Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 12:41 PM

18 posts, read 21,930 times

Advertisements

Ok, need to leave Chicago. Been here 10 years and if Im going to deal with snow- might as well go somewhere pretty.

Thing is Im not sure where. Just came back from a recent trip to Scottsdale. I liked the VIBE...I LOVE the healthy lifestyle, outdoors mountains etc

Im just wondering if there are any suggestions for a Chicagoan a single 27 yr old female, I dont need a huge, populated city.

Instead, I am looking for a smaller, urban city
mountains, affordability, great job market and healthy lifestyle. Mild climate, I get it, it snows- but here Im swearing at God through the ice wind. None of that.

Im big into hiking, canoeing, kayaking, fishing and camping, not much skiing

I do like nightlife and great restaurants.

Affordability is key

Rent somewhere 400-700/ month
could be a room or studio - I could add a few hundred on there, but dont really want to if its not needed

I rather have a great outdoor environment, then some over priced apartment

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I have also toyed with northern New Mexico...suggestions on that would be great.

Thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 01:41 PM

30 posts, read 98,615 times
Colorado Springs sounds like a nice fit for you, medium size about 600,000 people, really close to the mountains especially Pikes Peak. Lots of outdoor activities, bike trails, etc. Has standard amenities and decent nightlife but also about an hour south of Denver for the airport, Elitches, Water World, better nightlife and so on and about an hour north of the Arkansas River which has great kayaking/canoeing. You could probably find a nice apartment for your price range too. Not too sure about the job market though.

Old 02-09-2011, 02:15 PM

Thank you!! What about the climate itself? No bitter -35 windchill? I can take snow- just not the nasty nasty nasty ice bone breaking wind!!! ha
thanks for your help!

Old 02-09-2011, 02:52 PM

26,144 posts, read 48,818,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie312 View Post
Thank you!! What about the climate itself? No bitter -35 windchill? I can take snow- just not the nasty nasty nasty ice bone breaking wind!!! ha
thanks for your help!
We had a few wind chills like that in COLO SPGS this past week, but it's very rare. This is my 6th winter here, and this one has had the coldest air, courtesy of arctic outburts, but by Saturday it'll be in the FIFTIES and you'd be jogging in shorts....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
We had a few wind chills like that in COLO SPGS this past week, but it's very rare. This is my 6th winter here, and this one has had the coldest air, courtesy of arctic outburts, but by Saturday it'll be in the FIFTIES and you'd be jogging in shorts....
Thank you! Sounds great

Old 02-10-2011, 02:36 AM

168 posts, read 380,598 times
We moved from Chicago to Colorado in the mid 90s.....the whole air thing is different in CO, add 10 degrees "in feel" to what you're use to in IL - if it was 40 back there, out here it "feels like" 50....drier air-no humidity; no wind chill like the bitter Chicago air...we learned fast that we were overdressed when we encountered our first CO winter, and ended up shoveling in T shirts sometimes.....The drier air means you'll lose your "naturally" curly hair, if that applies, the frizz caused by humidity doesn't exist in CO; become a moisturizing lotions addict; have bloody noses occasionally.....once you've gotten accustomed to the altitude, you'll be fine.....

The only thing I miss about Chicago is the food....and everything in CO is so much better than the dreary days back in IL, so we don't regret the move....The culture is alot different all around, so expect some funny "that makes no sense at all" moments out here compared to back in Chicago

Old 02-10-2011, 05:47 AM

Great input, t shirts while shoveling??? Well I'll be!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado