Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:01 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue skies ahead View Post
I am originally from a town of 50. No, not 50 thousand, I mean 50 souls, Buckwheat. And I still see the kind, small town attitude that warms my heart. There that is. Not here in Mayberry, Colorado where nastiness is a way of life.--Why is it that Colorado is so damned nasty to ANYONE who wasn't hatched here? Don't get me wrong, I have met a few nice folks here, in fact I married one.--- However, I will say- that the best part of Texas is the Texans. Why, you couldn't swing a Coloradan around you without hitting a whole gulf of them!! Southern hospitality, or mere common decency, boy do I miss it here in Colorado.--- As for Californians, I lived there too- so I guess I have the real double whammy of coming from the two states that ya'll hate most. ---- What I don't get is this: why would anyone be nasty, or even downright mean, to anyone- just because of where they used to live?? A radical concept for most Coloradans I know..... but think about it. Doesn't it matter most who the person is, what they believe in, stand for, treat others....??? Another thought: life smells a whole lot sweeter if you don't live it with your head up your butt.
I happen to know quite a few Texans that are really nice folks. I happen to have some relatives in Texas, too. That said, a lot of Coloradans DO have an attitude about Texans, admittedly a stereotype, because a lot of RICH, BIG CITY Texans come to Colorado with a great big Texas-size chip on their shoulder. A lot of them have also engaged in some very pernicious and destructive land-development schemes, trophy house building, and other destructive activities that leave a very bad taste in the mouth of old-line Coloradans. That group of people is also a big tent, with more than few Californians, East Coasters, West Coasters, and others in it. As to the statement that Coloradans are "nasty," I can tell you, having lived in the state for nearly 50 years before moving to neighboring Wyoming, that Coloradans were a whole lot friendlier BEFORE the huge influx of in-migration hit. Quite a few of the "unfriendly Coloradans" I have met actually came from someplace else. Part of Colorado's growing "unfriendliness" also comes from the fact that it has become, not a state of small towns, but a state where most of its residents live in urban or suburban metroplexes. That's true all across the U.S., and I believe the country is the worse for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 08:31 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
....because a lot of RICH, BIG CITY Texans come to Colorado...
I'm not denying this, but I've never understood it. The premise is that Coloradoans don't like Californians and Texans. The supposition is that people from these states moved to Colorado and are sort of "invaders". I can understand this. I can understand Californians moving to Colorado due to the big difference in housing prices. Makes sense. There is an economic force. I did it for this reason (and several others).

My question: What is the draw to Colorado by Texans? Prices aren't that much different (no economic force). Texas has a robust economy. Is it weather? Is it a false assumption that Texans move to Colorado? Is it a cultural thing? Is it related to military bases?

Old 08-16-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Maybe they weren't rooting AGAINST the home team. Maybe they were rooting FOR the other team.
Actually, I think you are correct. But it still bugged me. No one was rooting for the Lakers in Philly or Boston (BEAT LA, BEAT LA, BEAT LA) , or the Angels in New York. I remember going to a celtics clippers game and NO ONE was rooting for the clippers. I was at the Rams ny giants playoff game....totally sucked, too many new yorkers.

You tend to think about these things when sitting in bumper to bumper traffic on the 405 in LA behind a dude with a I LOVE NY sticker on his car.

Glad I am in Colorado now. It's easier to be the hated than the hater.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'm not denying this, but I've never understood it. The premise is that Coloradoans don't like Californians and Texans. The supposition is that people from these states moved to Colorado and are sort of "invaders". I can understand this. I can understand Californians moving to Colorado due to the big difference in housing prices. Makes sense. There is an economic force. I did it for this reason (and several others).

My question: What is the draw to Colorado by Texans? Prices aren't that much different (no economic force). Texas has a robust economy. Is it weather? Is it a false assumption that Texans move to Colorado? Is it a cultural thing? Is it related to military bases?
For years, the running joke in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico was that you could tell the temperature in Dallas by the number of Texas license plates you would see on the local Colorado and New Mexico highways. The higher the temperature, the more Texas plates you would see. Of course, that was when summer tourism was the big thing. Now, a lot of Texans come in the winter to ski.

The other thing I didn't mention earlier about the prejudice against Texans come from the highly irresponsible and dangerouse activities that a small percentage of Texas big-game hunters perpetrate each year. Now, some of these might be "urban legends," but I personally know of quite a few that weren't. A friend who lives in southern Colorado just related a story to me this week about some Texans who were "busted" near his home for hunting illegally (without proper licenses or elk tags) on posted private property last fall. They got a little "Colorado justice": a several thousand dollar fine, confiscation of their guns, ATV's, and trucks, along with an "admonition" to not hunt in the state for several years. Now, if Colorado could just to that to the slime-ball out-of-state developers who are doing far greater damage to the wildlife and landscape of the state, we'd be getting somewhere . . .

Old 08-16-2007, 09:04 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Default Not a a bad idea!

jazzlover wrote:
Now, if Colorado could just to that to the slime-ball out-of-state developers who are doing far greater damage to the wildlife and landscape of the state, we'd be getting somewhere . . .
That's really not a bad idea!

blessings...Franco

Old 08-16-2007, 10:48 PM

85 posts, read 474,870 times
Default to jazzlover

just my 2 cents, arent aholes, aholes no matter where they're from, and as far as that goes, nice people are nice no matter where thay're from too. I don't like people coming in to a beautiful area and commercializing it just as much as the next person. But what about the people that work for these "texans" that probably are colorado natives that need to a job, are they aholes too for working for an ahole. just a thought

Old 08-17-2007, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
For years, the running joke in southern Colorado and northern New Mexico was that you could tell the temperature in Dallas by the number of Texas license plates you would see on the local Colorado and New Mexico highways. The higher the temperature, the more Texas plates you would see. Of course, that was when summer tourism was the big thing. Now, a lot of Texans come in the winter to ski.. . .
Does this mean the main reason there are lots of Texans here is due to weather?

Old 08-17-2007, 01:23 PM

Probably. I believe there was a Union General quoted as saying that given a choice between living in hell or Texas, he would live in hell and rent out Texas. I believe the weather (long before air conditioning) in Texas motivated the quote.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,280 times
@ Blue Skies Ahead- That was hilarious and I completely agree with you. I grew up in southwest texas. I was so blessed to grow up there. I have moved around all over the united states. I have lived in over 43 different places, including another country, so I have a pretty good basis for comparison. This place sucks because of the people! And any coloradans (native or not) that argue with what I just said, only further my case and point. If you were to say to a collective population of Texans where I grew up that you didn't like it there, they would try to change your mind by trying to make you happy.

Here, people are the rudest, most pushy, stuck up, inconsiderate, argumentative, and aggressive that I have ever seen anywhere I have ever been. And if you tell coloradans you don't like colorado, they are so horribly offended they become your worst enemy. If that's your way of trying to change my mind, then my mind is definitely made up- I hate it!

I came from a place where you strike up conversations with other people in the long check-out line at the grocery store, and THEY ACTUALLY TALK BACK WITH YOU!!!!

I came from a town where you visit with your neighbors and take turns bringing over food. I've never met any neighbors here- they don't speak to me!

I came from a town where people practice defensive driving, not offensive driving. People where I came from are not the greediest SOB's on Earth when it comes to sharing the damned road!!!Here, people WILL ACTUALLY RUN YOU OFF THE ROAD BECAUSE THEY WANT YOUR LANE!!!! Here, when you put your turn signal on and you need to get over, everyone speeds up, to DELIBERATELY NOT LET YOU OVER! And if you decide to be a decent person and slow down so someone can get in front of you, the person behind you speeds up on your bumper, passes you while honking their horn and flipping you off! And I am not talking about running into an A*hole here and there- it is every single driver on the road! It is the collective personality of this place as a whole! That's the way everyone drives here! I'm not kidding!

Anyone who says the people here are nice is either A. somewhere in a very remote area where the only collection of actual nice people are hiding from the rest of colorado, or B. they've drank so much of the koolaid themselves they don't notice it, or C. They are not very well traveled and have no basis for comparison.

In my hometown, they don't tolerate stuck up people. Their way of straightening out a stuck up person is driving them out to the desert and leaving them there with the scorpions and rattlesnakes. The thought amuzes me after my 2 years of these people making my life hell. I definitely plan to move. I don't care if I die the next day. As long as I don't die here.

And if people who "love" Colorado really were patriotic about their state, they would care about experiences outsiders have here and show some form of empathy, but people are more unempathetic here than I have ever seen anywhere. People don't feed the homeless, they show no concern for those who are suffering, they demonstrate a very nonchalaunt, liberal-minded attitude about everything. In fact, this place being as overly liberal as it is, the people are so open minded that their brains fell out!

Very rarely do you ever meet any person here that doesn't say the f word within your first 5 minutes of meeting them. People are crude, unprofessional and offensive here, and employees have no rights here. You can be fired for no reason at any time...

There are marajuana dispensaries all over the place and you can't even drive down certain highways without choking down the smell of marajuana. I have gotten high here without even chosing to do drugs! Yeah- that's a good place to bring your children! If you want your little 6 year old to know what marajuana smells like!

I could go on and on...

I hate it here, and my lifelong dream is of busting out of this joint, no pun intended!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:40 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Digging up a 5 year old thread may be a C-D record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado