Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 01:25 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,452,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puebloalternative View Post
Country music could also be called Alternative music as it's an alternative to Classical music.

Living off daddy's dough could also be called an alternative to making it on your own.

The fact of the matter is neither of these are true.
You might not like nuclear power, and that is ok, but by definition it is alternative energy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 02:23 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Who exactly... and I want you to really really think about this... for days and weeks if need be... is going to profit off this deal?

And if you're seeing this picture clearly enough and seeing truth... is this "profiteer" going to continue to live in this area, or will he be long gone while leaving us with the mess?

I recall saying something about how PEDCO has messed some projects up and potential job creating industries at the Industrial Park and in Pueblo County in general have fallen through... and somebody dispelling it as bunk. That's something I'd like you to think about as well. Tell me that PEDCO didn't run Boeing and others out and why that's not related to this here thread.

Now most importantly... why do we really need a Nuclear Power Plant here in Pueblo County... population of maybe 160,000 and holding steady... if not decreasing.

Exactly how much water will they be entitled to and do we need more division of our limited resource and use of the Ark River... and any of its tributaries?

Old 04-22-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Who exactly... and I want you to really really think about this... for days and weeks if need be... is going to profit off this deal?

There are going to be a lot of people profiting from the deal. Some will be local and some will be from out of state. That is not unusual. Even when they built CF&I as some local and national people made a lot of money but in the end it helped make Pueblo a thriving city in the early part of the 20th century.

And if you're seeing this picture clearly enough and seeing truth... is this "profiteer" going to continue to live in this area, or will he be long gone while leaving us with the mess?

What mess? It will help the economy in more ways then anyone can know.

I recall saying something about how PEDCO has messed some projects up and potential job creating industries at the Industrial Park and in Pueblo County in general have fallen through... and somebody dispelling it as bunk. That's something I'd like you to think about as well. Tell me that PEDCO didn't run Boeing and others out and why that's not related to this here thread.

What?

Now most importantly... why do we really need a Nuclear Power Plant here in Pueblo County... population of maybe 160,000 and holding steady... if not decreasing.

Pueblo county is growing again and this will help us grow even more and help our institutions like CSU Pueblo become even stronger and that is only good for Pueblo.

Exactly how much water will they be entitled to and do we need more division of our limited resource and use of the Ark River... and any of its tributaries?

That is a question for the engineers but I have read where Pueblo has more then enough water.

My comments are in bold.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:18 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times

... just sayin'.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:28 PM

Solar power is great but can not solve our energy needs on its own or with wind. Nuclear power must be part of the mix and that is why I think the proposed Colorado Energy Park is a great idea as it calls for all 3 sources of power.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:04 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Solar power is great but can not solve our energy needs on its own or with wind. Nuclear power must be part of the mix and that is why I think the proposed Colorado Energy Park is a great idea as it calls for all 3 sources of power.
I agree. Nuclear energy might not be a very popular topic of discussion right now considering what just happened in Japan, but I do believe it is a necessary technology if we are to meet the energy needs of this country over the next few decades.

I'm all for developing wind and solar technologies as well, but I think nuclear will take us further toward achieving energy independence than any other source that exists today.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:13 PM

Tomorrow night is the decision on the rezoning for the proposed nuclear plant. I am going to try to attend the hearing, at least part of it, and will report back what they say. I am cautiously optimistic it will pass.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:25 PM

839 posts, read 2,416,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Tomorrow night is the decision on the rezoning for the proposed nuclear plant. I am going to try to attend the hearing, at least part of it, and will report back what they say. I am cautiously optimistic it will pass.
Cool. Let us know how it goes....

Old 04-25-2011, 08:14 AM

4 posts, read 8,266 times
It's not even about whether I like nuclear power or not. I'm actually starting to like Pueblo.
So many aspects about Pueblo will be hurt if a nuclear plant is put in Pueblo, just based on perception of nuclear power plants. Do you think farmers are going to be able to sell their green chilis, milk, and vegetables to people? Your beloved Chili Festival will become a laughing stock. People won't come to your great State Fair, kayak in your rivers, mountain bike on your trails, or boat on your reservoir. Even if there is not contamination, the perception that goes along with nuclear will crush other industries in Pueblo. Not to mention that people will continue to think that Pueblo is the crap hole of the state, therefore let's continue to put potentially dirty industry there.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puebloalternative View Post
It's not even about whether I like nuclear power or not. I'm actually starting to like Pueblo.
So many aspects about Pueblo will be hurt if a nuclear plant is put in Pueblo, just based on perception of nuclear power plants. Do you think farmers are going to be able to sell their green chilis, milk, and vegetables to people? Your beloved Chili Festival will become a laughing stock. People won't come to your great State Fair, kayak in your rivers, mountain bike on your trails, or boat on your reservoir. Even if there is not contamination, the perception that goes along with nuclear will crush other industries in Pueblo. Not to mention that people will continue to think that Pueblo is the crap hole of the state, therefore let's continue to put potentially dirty industry there.
Actually it will have the opposite affect. Look at Kansas. Has anyone stopped buying corn and wheat grown there? The answer is no its still part of the "bread basket" and they have a successful nuclear plant. The festivals will be more successful in Pueblo, including the state fair and chili festival as Pueblo will grow and Puebloans will have more money to spend. Pueblo will go from being one of the poorest counties in the state to being one of the richest counties and will be able to support its institutions with more money. Some examples are the schools, hospitals, and university not to mention the art and cultural community. In the end I believe that Pueblo will be a much better city because of the energy park with a nuclear plant and I say that as a 4th generation Puebloan who studies this town more then most people.

Last edited by Josseppie; 04-25-2011 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado