Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 04:54 PM

666 posts, read 1,043,030 times

Advertisements

What a cool building, so nice to see it taken care of and not torn down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 05:00 PM

12,259 posts, read 24,350,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySkiesAbove View Post
What a cool building, so nice to see it taken care of and not torn down.
Agreed. Pueblo has renovated a lot of historic buildings and that is one thing I like about this town.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:08 PM

814 posts, read 1,142,686 times
So who's going to pay for upgrading and maintaining the portion of track between Raton and Lamy in New Mexico, which is really where the problem lies? Surely not the state of Colorado and/or the city of Pueblo. Unfortunately, it looks like the ship is sailing for CO as far as the Southwest Chief is concerned.

At this point, I think Pueblo might be best served working with Denver on establishing a regional rail system linking the Front Range's major cities. If you could get that up and running, then who knows, maybe the opportunity could present itself to bring Amtrak into the fold in terms of re-establishing a Denver-Dallas route.

A Denver-ABQ-El Paso route - my personal dream - could also be a possibility, though again, Raton Pass would still present a significant hurdle, and questions have been raised about the viability of such a route given that, for a medium-distance route, it would not represent enough of a competitive time-table when compared to driving.

Last edited by that412; 11-01-2013 at 02:19 PM..

Old 11-01-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
So who's going to pay for upgrading and maintaining the portion of track between Raton and Lamy in New Mexico, which is really where the problem lies? Surely not the state of Colorado and/or the city of Pueblo. Unfortunately, it looks like the ship is sailing for CO as far as the Southwest Chief is concerned.
It would have to be federal grants much like they do with the federal interstate system.

Quote:
At this point, I think Pueblo might be best served working with Denver on establishing a regional rail system linking the Front Range's major cities. If you could get that up and running, then who knows, maybe the opportunity could present itself to bring Amtrak into the fold in terms of re-establishing a Denver-Dallas route.
CDOT is doing that with the propose HSR from Pueblo to Fort Collins. The next meeting is this month.

Quote:
A Denver-ABQ-El Paso route - my personal dream - could also be a possibility, though again, Raton Pass would still present a significant hurdle, and questions have been raised about the viability of such a route given that, for a medium-distance route, it would not represent enough of a competitive time-table when compared to driving.
If that did happen the hub would be in Pueblo as the New Mexico Roadrunner would have to end here and the front range HSR would start here. That would make Pueblo the perfect location for Amtrak and would help out our airport as well.

Old 12-13-2013, 12:29 PM

Talking Twice-daily service to fly 30 from Pueblo to Denver

Some good news for Pueblo. If this works I will be able to fly out of Pueblo more instead of driving to Colorado Springs.

This is from the Pueblo Chieftain:

SkyWest Airlines, operating as United Express, will offer twice-daily commuter air service from Pueblo to Denver starting April 2, replacing current carrier Great Lakes airline, the Pueblo Memorial Airport Advisory Committee announced on Thursday.

SkyWest will fly under the United Express banner and feature 30-passenger planes, larger than the 19-passenger planes operated by Great Lakes. Pueblo passengers also will gain access to United Airlines’ global reservation network.

United began accepting bookings Thursday. Two daily outbound flights to Denver are planned, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Two daily inbound flights also are planned.

- See more at: The Pueblo Chieftain | Twice-daily service to fly 30 from Pueblo to

Old 12-14-2013, 09:16 AM

289 posts, read 771,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Some good news for Pueblo. If this works I will be able to fly out of Pueblo more instead of driving to Colorado Springs.

This is from the Pueblo Chieftain:

SkyWest Airlines, operating as United Express, will offer twice-daily commuter air service from Pueblo to Denver starting April 2, replacing current carrier Great Lakes airline, the Pueblo Memorial Airport Advisory Committee announced on Thursday.

SkyWest will fly under the United Express banner and feature 30-passenger planes, larger than the 19-passenger planes operated by Great Lakes. Pueblo passengers also will gain access to United Airlines’ global reservation network.

United began accepting bookings Thursday. Two daily outbound flights to Denver are planned, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Two daily inbound flights also are planned.

- See more at: The Pueblo Chieftain | Twice-daily service to fly 30 from Pueblo to
Don't get too excited yet. SkyWest operated many of the flights that went between Denver and Durango and was NOTORIOUS for cancelling flights, being delayed, etc. I was a victim of this once myself and I know several other people who would gripe about the SkyWest service.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Go Here View Post
Don't get too excited yet. SkyWest operated many of the flights that went between Denver and Durango and was NOTORIOUS for cancelling flights, being delayed, etc. I was a victim of this once myself and I know several other people who would gripe about the SkyWest service.
I use Skywest from Colorado Springs to DIA now and never had a issue with them. My problem will be lack of a night flight home. So if my flight coming home is later I will still have to fly out of the Springs.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:27 PM

Exclamation Garcia introduces Amtrak bill

A bill has been introduced that would bring Amtrak to Pueblo. This is good and I will continue to follow it.

This is from the Chieftain:

One of the first bills to be introduced by Pueblo’s state representative has the potential for implications throughout Southern Colorado.

The plan would include a stop in Pueblo, something that the chief currently does not do. He said Pueblo County’s 170,000 population would create a healthy market for the train through the region.

- See more at: The Pueblo Chieftain | Garcia introduces Amtrak bill

Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 PM

Talking House bill 14-1161

This is the bill to keep Amtrak in Colorado and add a stop in Pueblo. I signed the petition as I am for this and think it would be good for Pueblo and the state.

In my opinion this would help Pueblo as the hub city of southern Colorado especially when we get the HSR and could even help our airport.

The bill:

THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY FURTHER FINDS AND DECLARES THAT:

(a) IN ADDITION TO PRESERVING EXISTING SOUTHWEST CHIEF RAIL LINE SERVICE, MODIFYING THE ROUTE OF THE SOUTHWEST CHIEF RAIL LINE TO INCLUDE A STOP IN PUEBLO WOULD BENEFIT THE STATE BY:

(I) PROVIDING INTERSTATE RAIL SERVICE TO RESIDENTS OF PUEBLO, THE LARGEST METROPOLITAN AREA IN SOUTHERN COLORADO;

(II) CREATING AN ADDITIONAL INTERSTATE RAIL CONNECTION THAT:

(A) RESIDENTS OF THE RAPIDLY GROWING FRONT RANGE AND CERTAIN OTHER CITIES THROUGHOUT COLORADO CAN IMMEDIATELY ACCESS THROUGH EXISTING CONVENIENT, EFFICIENT, AND SEAMLESS INTRASTATE FIXED ROUTE AND CHARTER BUS SERVICES AND POTENTIALLY ACCESS IN THE FUTURE THROUGH NORTH-SOUTH RAIL SERVICE ALONG THE ENTIRE FRONT RANGE; AND

(B) TOURISTS CAN USE TO LINK TO BUS SERVICES AND POTENTIAL FUTURE NORTH-SOUTH RAIL SERVICES AND THEREBY MORE EASILY ACCESS TOURIST ATTRACTIONS THROUGHOUT THE STATE; AND

(III) BRINGING ADDITIONAL TOURISTS AND ATTENDANT ECONOMIC GROWTH DIRECTLY TO THE PUEBLO AREA, AND PROVIDING ADDITIONAL JOBS IN THE PUEBLO AREA.

The link: http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2014a/csl.nsf/billcontainers/487518C973F8421487257C30000703C4/$FILE/1161_01.pdf

Last edited by Josseppie; 02-14-2014 at 01:01 PM..

Old 02-20-2014, 05:37 PM

This story had made the New York Times. Again this is more proof that Pueblo is the hub of southern Colorado and northern New Mexico. Hopefully this passes and Pueblo gets a stop.

This is from the NY times:

Leroy Garcia, a Democratic state representative from Colorado, recently introduced legislation to preserve the train route and add a stop in the city of Pueblo. Under his proposal, which has drawn bipartisan support from Colorado lawmakers, a commission would be created to find funding and figure out the cost for an additional stop.

“By adding the stop to Pueblo, you’d now have access to 165,000 more people in the county,” he said. “We have heard over and over that rural and southern Colorado is really struggling for jobs — this could serve as a hub for growth.”

The link: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/18/us...line.html?_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado