Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 10:24 AM

9 posts, read 39,017 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. So we've DEFINITELY decided on Breckenridge and we're leaving sometime in August.
I've heard so much about elevation sickness and how you should ease into it? I read on here someone said to stop half way. I have a 3 year old. She will be 4 by the time we move so not getting her sick is very important. Does anyone have experience with this?
Where should I stop coming from Florida and how long should we stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 11:40 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
There's simply no way that anybody can accurately predict how the higher elevation will affect you and yours, especially if you've had no prior experience with the altitude.

All you can do is to come on out here and adjust your activity schedules, water and diet to minimize the effects.

Typically, it will take a couple of weeks to become fully acclimated to the altitude ... and if your daughter has no pre-existing limiting conditions, she'll probably do better than you in making the adjustment.

You should do all the things that you can to maximize your body's ability to acclimate ... if you are a smoker, quit. If you take in a lot of alcohol, minimize that consumption. If you don't have a lot of water intake daily, adjust your intake ... you'll need it for the high dry altitude. And so forth ... your family doctor in FL can advise you best about any physical issues you may have that could make the transition difficult. You'd be well advised to seek that counsel before heading to the higher elevations.

Personally, I don't see much value in making a stop enroute. This isn't like trying to climb Mt Everest where a months-long acclimatization program is needed for the final push to the top.

Last edited by sunsprit; 02-28-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Old 02-28-2011, 01:06 PM

230 posts, read 552,989 times
My family has suffered from elevation sickness on both of our trips to Breckenridge. However, we come from about 37ft above sea level. It only lasted one night and struck us either as we were driving or while asleep. It sucks something fierce but we got over it quickly. Worth it to be in Breckenridge.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:11 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,121,128 times
There are lots of articles on the internet if you do a search for altitude sickness.
Are you coming for vacation or to live?
Breckenridge has info on their website: Breckenridge Altitude Sickness - High Altitude Health in Breckenridge
I also refer people to WebMD: webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/altitude-sickness-to…
The most common advice is to spend a night at a lower altitude before going above 8000', drink plenty of water, no alcohol, and eat lots of carbs.
When I moved from Boulder to where I live now I noticed that it took me about 2 weeks to get used to living at 8500'.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,685,665 times
If you are moving to Breckenridge, will you be driving? If so, you'll probably be making stops along the way. I'd plan at least a night or two in Denver, which is usually what is recommended for those concerned with altitude sickness. It would also give you a feel for what's in the "big city" in Colorado! Best of luck!

Old 02-28-2011, 07:25 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Breckenridge is too high for me and I'm 36. Once I get over 8500 ft. overnight I just don't like it.

I've been hit with altitude sickness a few times and it seems to have happened when I have rapidly changed elevations. Back in 1983 I did a really cool projectile vomiting on the streets of Georgetown which ruined some peoples day. I think I had more an issue when I was a kid than now.

I used to leave after ski and summer seasons and go back to sea level for over a month. I found on return it used to take me about a week or so to get settled in and feeling normal. It's a big adjustment going from humid sea level to high and dry mountains. Over the years as I got used to Colorado I found it more of an adjustment going back down than back up. The years I lived there, I lived between 7300 and 8150 feet. Breck is at 9600 ft.

I personally don't believe your body adjusts overnight, I think it takes a few days at a minimum. Now that I visit only once a year now, back in 2009 when I was in Vail, didn't have a problem, however I was staying down valley at 7200 ft, but last year being up and over 8500 ft, I never really adjusted over 2 weeks.

So your mileage may vary.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:45 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink Altitude

Altitude sickness will probably not be something you deal with, but your concern is still apt.

The advice given here in this regard is accurate, however most people visiting Breckenridge do not get sick. Those that do are more often on a marathon vacation, with something like a vigorous day of skiing right off the bat without any acclimation. Sometimes the consequences are severe, such as a heart attack and death. So pace yourself initially, watch yourself, and as most others you will probably be fine. People freak about this when a little common sense would mitigate it to not much of an issue.

One thing you should know is that everyone reacts to altitude differently. Breckenridge is not really that high, nowhere the elevation of the Himalayas where at certain elevations the threat of cerebral edema is quite real. But some can nevertheless be affected when their companions are fine. If feeling less than well of course see a physician, but as any mountaineer would the one best recourse if altitude sickness is to seek a lower elevation as quickly as possible. That would mean Denver, and even possibly lower.

But in most circumstances you'll probably just notice a shortness of breath and onset of fatigue sooner than expected if not accustomed to such altitude. It would take many years for one's body to adapt to truly high altitudes, and certainly a few days to feel more normal in Breckenridge for someone unaccustomed. So just take it easy at first, drink enough water, watch the alcohol, and pace yourself.

You'll probably wonder what all the fuss was about.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:49 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Indeed, elevation affects different people differently. I'll preface my comments by saying that I'm older -- 61. I've had to cut out caffeine since moving to COS...now makes my blood pressure skyrocket, but never bothered me in the past. I've had to reduce salt intake, which never bothered me in the past. I can still do short hikes up to 9500 feet (so far), but I also know another senior who can no longer go to elevations of 10,000 feet, even while just riding in a car. And all this, for me, is still lasting 8 months since I moved here.

So my advice is, go to Breckenridge and see how it affects you. Just don't make any assumptions.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:51 PM

213 posts, read 659,784 times
i live in florida, visited breckenridge and had a headache the 1st two days...
moved to Castle Rock for a while, lived on the 3rd floor, it took me 2 weeks to get used to the elevation change there... and i'm a walker lol
everyone is different, but maybe just stay in denver a day or two, imo

Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 AM

66 posts, read 246,960 times
Drink lots of water and take aspirin to lessen the effects. Don't drink if you can help it and if you do drink, drink a glass of water for every drink you have...oh and finish the evening with a glass of water and aspirin.

I used to get it bad but I just drink a lot of water and stay away from alcohol for a few days..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado