Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 03:58 AM

37 posts, read 168,818 times

Advertisements

Hi, couple moving to Carbondale, CO. Yes, got a job, and yes have a place to live. I have a few questions.. Is Carbondale, CO

• liberal, or more conservative?
  • Are people there friendly and welcoming?
  • Can someone give me a feel for carbondale?
  • What is the weather like in the winter, spring, summer, and fall?
  • dog friendly?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 04:03 PM

3,602 posts, read 9,011,847 times
Carbondale is pretty middle of the road, there are some extreme liberals and some very conservative people, generally people are more outdoor and community focused and don't really care who you voted for.

The town is a mix of normal working folks, many commuting to Aspen, some second homeowners, some old family ranchers and hard working hispanics. (I know some will disagree with me on the hispanics being hard working but I'm only speaking from my experience which has been positive.) People in the Roaring Fork Valley are very welcoming and friendly. Carbondale has some great festivals, restaurants and shops.

Not sure where you are moving from or if you have visited Colorado before to understand the weather. Humidity is very low, the sun shines most days and it is not unusual to wake up to 8 inches of snow and then be playing outside in a t-shirt later that day (yesterday). Sunscreen, moisturizer, lip balm and dressing in layers will get you through the seasons.

Dog Friendly, oh my yes! Red Hill Vet is wonderful. Pretty much everyone has a dog or two and they'll be riding in the car, playing in the river and walking along the street. The town pool even has a doggie day at the end of the summer for the dogs to play before they close it for the winter.

Carbondale is a nice town to live in, Phat Thai has fun food and drinks, White House Pizza has great pizza and beer, La Tortilla Roca or Rosa (can't remember the name exactly) has the most amazing handmade tortillas still warm from the oven, I drive and hour and a half to get them these days.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:27 PM

Thanks so much for the information!! You've mad us feel much more comfortable. Do you currently reside in Carbondale? Your mentioned you drive a hour and a half for tortillas? Yum!

Old 03-19-2011, 10:59 PM

We lived in Basalt for 6 years but now I'm near Vail. Glenwood Springs has a Target, so when we do our shopping runs there we stop by the tortilla place. It's also a good excuse to go to El Korita in Willits for ceviche or Cafe Bernard in downtown Basalt for pretty much anything they serve.

Good luck with your move, summer in the valley is amazing.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Are there any farmers markets on the weekend near by Carbondale?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:54 AM

Also, can you tell me about the seasons? what they are like, and what months they are. Does it rain a lot there? Is it humid at all?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:45 AM

Aspen has a huge Saturday market, Basalt is on Sunday, Carbondale didn't have one when I lived there but I would venture to guess that they do now. The Chamber's site should have that info: Carbondale.com | Visit Carbondale The paper in addition to it's site has a full print e-edition too with lots of good community info: Carbondale Colorado | Valley-Journal.com

Seasons are tough to really nail down, we have all four, but they tend to wildly overlap some years. Today is beautiful, I'll be out in a t-shirt, Tuesday we're expecting snow. Weather Underground has historical data for the area that will probably be more helpful.

We do get some rain, but the climate is more high desert, a humid day is 40%. Though the lack of humidity is tough on the skin, but there are benefits. A 30 degree day in the winter means I don't need a coat, just gloves and a sweater, a 80 degree day in the summer is pleasant and a/c isn't necessary.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:57 PM

So glad not to have to deal with the humidity all year! Are there any bugs, or snakes or bear..any wild life that new residents should know about? Thanks! I have a dog and I am more worried about him.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:09 PM

There are some bugs, but nothing like the East or South, the pup will still need heartworm meds and flea and tick stuff. There are some snakes, I have been told that it's rare to find a poisonous snake at altitude, but that may have been just to give me peace of mind, I've seen only seen harmless snakes.

As for other wildlife, bears, coyote, moose, deer, elk, bobcats, fox and some rotten little groundhogs, we've got them all. Be sure if your dog is off leash that you have good voice command, moose are especially dangerous to dogs. My dogs seem to understand when the tone of my voice changes and I call them to heel that there is danger.

The bears don't want a fight they want food, so don't leave the garbage outside or bowls of dog food. We have never had a problem with any of they wildlife in Colorado, (other than a bad coyote that steals my dogs toys and poops on them), but you just need to be aware that the place you'll be living in is shared by many 4 legged creatures.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:49 PM

Do you know what most people carry as far as phone plans out there? I've heard AT&T and verizon, is this true? It's not good for me I have Sprint. But i've heard sprint does not have barley any coverage there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado