Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 08:11 AM

50 posts, read 231,786 times

Advertisements

I am interested in anyone's opinion about moving to Grand Junction. I have lived in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio Texas and my husband is thinking about taking a job there. We have young children and we like to be involved in activities. I am not a "small town" girl. Would I be happy here? I have heard from several people that the Grand Junction area is great for retirees but not young families can anyone elaborate?

Also, my mother who is in her 60's is very active with senior groups etc...is there a lot for an active senior there as well?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 09:48 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele164 View Post
I am interested in anyone's opinion about moving to Grand Junction. I have lived in Houston, Dallas and San Antonio Texas and my husband is thinking about taking a job there. We have young children and we like to be involved in activities. I am not a "small town" girl. Would I be happy here? I have heard from several people that the Grand Junction area is great for retirees but not young families can anyone elaborate?

Also, my mother who is in her 60's is very active with senior groups etc...is there a lot for an active senior there as well?

Thanks
If you look at the great Colorado Index Thread, you'll find links to several threads about Grand Junction. There have been many posts discussing many of your questions. An advanced search in the Colorado forum using Grand Junction as key word will also point you to discussions that will give you some useful information to get started.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:43 PM

17 posts, read 77,489 times
dont settle in gandjunction

go have some fun somewere else

Old 05-04-2008, 09:43 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,686,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele164 View Post

Thanks
I personally do not like Grand Junction so I will be moving soon. However, I wouldn't necessarily agree that it isn't a place for young families. I think just the opposite is true. Almost everyone I know in my age group (early 30's) have kids, and they are always doing things with them. It is certainly different than a large city. You won't be able to go the zoo, or the museum, an amuzement park, or a large sporting event. However, there are things GJ has to offer that a big city never could. You are within minutes of some great hiking and biking trails. There are also plenty of sports leagues, a few dance schools, and ice skating rink, and a few kids fun centers. So, I think GJ is a nice place to raise kids, but it will depend upon your lifestyle.

You may find it difficult to live here because it is still very much a small town even though it is growing rapidly. There are lots of people moving in from the south, so if you are worried about being accepted, I don't think you will have a problem at all. As far as senior activities, I don't know much. I do know GJ is somewhat of a retirement community so we do have a senior center. There are several golf courses, but other than that, I wouldn't be able to tell you.

The best advice I can offer you is to make a trip here. Spend at least a week, or more if you can, before you actually decide to make the move. My husband and I moved here on a whim and it was the worst decision we could have made. Good luck and I hope you find the information you are looking for.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:23 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
Default Wherever you go, there you are.

Michele164 wrote:
Would I be happy here?
If you are happy where you are now, chances are that you'll be happy wherever you move to. On the other hand, if you're not happy where you are now, you'll probably be unhappy wherever you live. There is a saying that sums it up very nicely, Wherever you go, there you are. Happines is an inside job and has little to do with where you live.

There are many young families here. Like anywhere else, some of them are happy and some of them are unhappy. Same situation with retirees, some of them are happy and others are not. Just goes to show that it's not the place, but rather what you make of it.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:03 AM

31 posts, read 130,747 times
Gj is a nice family town. Kind of pricey anymore, but still has a rural feel. The people are conservative as a rule. Redlands Mesa or NW or N area is best. Born and raised here.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcray1 View Post
Gj is a nice family town. Kind of pricey anymore, but still has a rural feel. The people are conservative as a rule. Redlands Mesa or NW or N area is best. Born and raised here.
Are you talking about The Redlands area in Grand Junction, or Redlands Mesa outside of Delta? They are two very different areas.

Old 05-11-2008, 07:37 PM

31 posts, read 130,747 times
Default Delta--wth

If the conversation was about GJ, and Redlands mesa is part of GJ area, I was prolly talking about the one in Mesa County. RM near Hotchkiss, in Delta County is a sagebrush wasteland. I oughta know--i was born i delta, and lived on RM for years. thanks for piping in tho.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcray1 View Post
If the conversation was about GJ, and Redlands mesa is part of GJ area, I was prolly talking about the one in Mesa County. RM near Hotchkiss, in Delta County is a sagebrush wasteland. I oughta know--i was born i delta, and lived on RM for years. thanks for piping in tho.
Wow! I wasn't asking for attitude, just wanting to make sure the original poster understands there are two areas within a relatively close distance (by Western CO standards) to each other. If they are looking for real estate, or just looking at other areas on the internet, a Redlands Mesa search will more than likely give them the area is Delta and not Mesa Co. I have never heard of the Redlands area in GJ referred to the Redlands Mesa and I have lived here for over 6 years. Sorry.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:19 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
delta07 wrote:
I have never heard of the Redlands area in GJ referred to the Redlands Mesa and I have lived here for over 6 years
I've also never heard of the Redlands area referred to as the Redlands Mesa either, but I've only been here for 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado