Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 AM

331 posts, read 989,837 times

Advertisements

So my first step into my transition to becoming a Coloradan was moving here. This morning I got in my truck to hit up the grocery store before work, and low and behold, I have a giant crack in my windshield that developed from a tiny chip. I feel like this is a big initiation step into my progress of becoming a Coloradan! It's a little strange to be semi-excited about this, I know, but it's all in fun. The downside is that the crack is at eye-level, so it's definitely something I can get a ticket for if I don't get it taken care of this weekend. There's gotta be a bright side though, right? I'm seeing the bright side as "this is one more step into me considering myself a Coloradan." I don't usually consider myself a "local" of a state until I've been there about 5 years, and not a "local" of a city/town until I've been there 7 - 10 years.

It's like a tiny piece of Colorado has called itself home within my truck! Okay, so it's more like "literally, a tiny piece of Colorado lodged itself into the windshield of my truck."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 10:05 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Next get a City Market card, then you'll almost be a pioneer.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:31 AM

331 posts, read 989,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Next get a City Market card, then you'll almost be a pioneer.
Haha, I don't know what I'd do without my King Soopers / City Market card... gas up here is about $.30 more than on the front range, so saving $.10 when I fill up is a necessity.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:35 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
On my own POV I was running my defroster on a very cold morning and cracked mine right across the windshield. All it took was a little rock chip.

On our vehicle fleet in Vail we used to go through about 3 windshields a year per vehicle. We bought em by the truckload.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:45 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Same here. Got my initiation as a stone made a pockmark in my windshield about 4-5 years ago, but a crack didn't develop. I saw a chip repair guy who usually sits at a local gas station and he fixed it for no charge to me after I called GEICO and had them speak to each other.

In another case back east, we had to have a windshield replaced. That car was old and the windshield was dinged up with a million tiny pits in it, so much so that when driving into the sunlight it appeared cloudy and diminished my ability to see. The new windshield was a major improvement, perfectly clear with great visibility, like driving a new car, and I'm sold that some people actually replace old windshields just for the improvement in being able to see.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:54 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Same here. Got my initiation as a stone made a pockmark in my windshield about 4-5 years ago, but a crack didn't develop. I saw a chip repair guy who usually sits at a local gas station and he fixed it for no charge to me after I called GEICO and had them speak to each other.

In another case back east, we had to have a windshield replaced. That car was old and the windshield was dinged up with a million tiny pits in it, so much so that when driving into the sunlight it appeared cloudy and diminished my ability to see. The new windshield was a major improvement, perfectly clear with great visibility, like driving a new car, and I'm sold that some people actually replace old windshields just for the improvement in being able to see.
It does make a big difference. My last car I owned in Colorado, all of the grit did a job on the windshield and made a big difference when I spent the $200 to replace it.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:26 PM

930 posts, read 1,653,895 times
Do people really get a ticket for a cracked windshield? I got stopped for speeding, and I got off with a warning... the cop didn't even notice the windshield. Looking forward to getting that one fixed

Old 04-09-2011, 06:46 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
I don't understand why there is no annual safety inspection (windshield, brakes, lights, tires, etc.) as there was in every other state I ever lived in. Seems to me that would result in a lot of unsafe cars being on the road. But as long as their emissions are OK, I guess that's all that matters...

Old 04-09-2011, 08:01 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I don't understand why there is no annual safety inspection (windshield, brakes, lights, tires, etc.) as there was in every other state I ever lived in. Seems to me that would result in a lot of unsafe cars being on the road. But as long as their emissions are OK, I guess that's all that matters...
There used to be an annual safety inspection in CO-- up until the early 90's I believe, when the state did away with it.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:51 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,061 times
I came from a state the had an annual safety inspection and I am glad to be rid of it. Getting held hostage every year by a mechanic who won't pass your car until you get x, x and x done is a stress I can do without. The last year we were there my bf had crappy windshield wipers so he replaced them the week before the inspection and one of the things he was told he needed was... you guessed it. Enough govt/bureaucratic intrusion. yeah maybe someone will get in an accident because they have crappy wipers that they didn't replace but it is impossible to prevent all accidents. Maybe we should build 20 foot foam padded guard rails and all of our cars can be structured like bumper cars and we'll have a 15mph speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado