Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2007, 06:27 PM

49 posts, read 245,036 times

Advertisements

Hi, moving to CO, rural mtn. area...looking into industry experts. Any ideas? Also, alternative energy and construction companies for building So of Pueblo, Walsenburg gen'l area.
Confused of rumors of unreliable builders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 02:50 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,947 times
There are a lot of log and timber frame home companies out there, as well as a lot of builders. I would suggest reading up on the magazines that specialize in this type of home, such as Log Home Living, Log Homes Illustrated, and the like. Every issue I've seen lists dealers in various areas in the back of the magazine. In your area, you can also look at listings for northern New Mexico, as that is closer than a lot of parts of Colorado. Visit the model homes and see what their selling points are, and compare one to another. Talk to the representatives and ask about reputable builders, then ask for references, if possible. Finally, I would highly recommend visiting the Log Home and Timber Frame Expo in Denver on September 28-30, 2007. Here you can meet many of the representatives of many of the log and timber frame home companies, as well as builders. You will probably also find companies representing other products like wood care items and alternative energy, as you asked about. Check out the following link for more information on the show:
http://www.logexpo.com

I don't personally have any experience with building a log home, but am considering doing so for my retirement home, and have started to look into my options. There are so many choices out there that it is almost mind blowing. There are a lot of companies out there that will tell you their product is best because it has certain features. They will give you the reasons that these features are important. Other companies will tell you why those features are not important. These things include kiln drying, wood treatment, and all inclusive packaging, for example.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 AM

129 posts, read 1,228,700 times
In 1999-2000, We built a timber-frame home just east of Beulah (25 mi. SW of Pueblo) through Linwood Homes (the office in Castle Rock). We we very happy with the quality of the home and with the support we got from that company.

We acted as General Contractors (something we knew nothing about to start with), and things went reasonably smoothly with all the help from the people at Linwood. Still, it was a full-time job on our part -- I wouldn't have wanted to take on that task if I was also working a 40-hour-a-week job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado