Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 12:32 PM

3 posts, read 13,311 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My wife and I are re-locating from Santa Cruz, CA to Colorado. We have done a ton of research, but we would like to hear what the locals have to say about Johnstown and possibly Ryland Builders as well? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 12:40 PM

423 posts, read 1,958,946 times
Johnstown is a nice small community close to several cities. It really does not have shopping or things like that but it is close to many cities. There is easy access along the front range because it is close to I25. There is a low crime rate, and friendly people. I am not sure what the school systems there are like. I also have not heard about Ryland Builders. I work with a lot of builders but I have never heard of them.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 13,311 times
That is just what I wanted to hear! No shopping, nice people and close to the city where the pro-sports teams play(Rockies, Broncos, Avalanche... ). My wife is looking into the schools in surrounding areas. She is a High School Math Teacher with tons of experience. I have a home business re-selling ink and media to print shops and marketing companies. Does it snow in Johnstown? What would be benefits to living closer to the front range? I hear it quite a bit.

Thank you for your time and feedback. We are excited to see all the great posts on Colorado. We visited Fort Collins for a wedding a few years back and made a vacation out of it. We left feeling sad and that we wanted to move there someday. Now that California is too expensive and crowded we want a small town like we once had hear in Santa Cruz, Ca. We will definately look forward to assimilating, as I wish many of the transplants here in SC would have considered trying to assimilate a bit more!

Old 07-31-2007, 01:04 PM

168 posts, read 622,095 times
Default Ryland comment

Hi SantaCruzer - I have a Ryland home in the Denver metro area and am happy with the product/company. I've been in the (new construction) home for 3 years and think it was very well built. The company has also been very good about any warranty issues. Don't know the Johnstown area well. Good luck. Sumisu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaCruzer View Post
Hello all! My wife and I are re-locating from Santa Cruz, CA to Colorado. We have done a ton of research, but we would like to hear what the locals have to say about Johnstown and possibly Ryland Builders as well? Thank you.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:13 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Johnstown is closest to Loveland. That's probably where you're going to go for shopping, etc.

On the plus side, you're going to find very, very cheap housing there. The foreclosure wave has decimated Weld County, yet the builders continue to construct new homes as fast as they possibly can. To say it's a buyers' market there would be understating things.

However, my big concern would be the traffic. Realtors and city planners have a habit of talking about I-25 as "Northern Colorado's Main Street" -- which basically means that they want the state to build the transportation infrastructure for them rather than having the municipalities do it for themselves. This, in my view, is exceedingly irresponsible. The state has NO money for transportation beyond maintenance, so the essential problem is that traffic will get worse and worse in northern Colorado and on I-25 from now on. Meanwhile, Weld County continues to encourage rapid development along I-25 regardless of consequence, attempting to quickly convert every agricultural parcel with highway frontage into new subdivisions and shopping malls.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:53 PM

423 posts, read 1,958,946 times
TFox
I am not sure what Realtors have to do with the road ways. This is all up to the planning and zoning departments. I do agree that there is a lot of irresponsiblity going on, but unfortunatly realtors like myself have nothing to do with it.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:17 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Emmerling View Post
TFox
I am not sure what Realtors have to do with the road ways. This is all up to the planning and zoning departments. I do agree that there is a lot of irresponsiblity going on, but unfortunatly realtors like myself have nothing to do with it.
Tom,

You're right of course about realtors not having any "power", at least not individually. However, there is a big push by the development interests to see freeway oriented development along I-25, and (some) realtors are a in the middle of promoting that agenda, along with city and county planners, developers, etc.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,751 times
Default I live in the Ryland neighborhood in Johnstown

I know that it was a couple of months since your posting, but I did not know if you were still looking for info. I live in the Pioneer Ridge subdivision in a Ryland home. We have been in this neighborhood for 3 years. I will tell you that NOW is the time to buy a home here. They just dropped the prices by 70K dollars---yes, seventy thousand!!! There is a brand new elementary school in the middle of the neighborhood. Our son attends school there and we really love it. Class sizes are currently in the mid 20's which is high for this area, but they are re-establishing boundries and some children are going to be enrolled in the other 2 elementary schools so the class sizes should go down next year. I love the teachers and you can be really involved in the schools. We have a good size high school in town and the middle school is in Milliken which is an even smaller town about 3 miles east of Johnstown. We have a great family-owned market in town (Hays Market), a few restaurants, a Mc Donalds (it's about 5 years old), Subway, Dominos (just came). We have a great shopping mall just 8 miles North of us off of I-25. Denver is about a 40 minute drive. Loveland is close. We do our major grocery shopping in Frederick (about 12 miles south of us). We have a great variety of churches. We have lived in Johnstown for 7 years-we moved from the metro Denver area and we LOVE Johnstown. Best of luck to you and welcome if you choose to make Johnstown your home : )

Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,712 times
Default Johnstown good Ryland?

Hi

My Fiance and I have been in the process of building and buying a Ryland home for the last 4 months. Our home is almost complete but we are not sure we want it. We have had many problems with the builder as to craftsmanship and attention to detail. If you just want to say build me a home I won't look at it durring the process and you don't want to visit often and check things out maybe it will be fine. But, right now there is a leak in our basment, spit out sunflower seeds on our as yet unfinished hardwood floors, and upside down stone moldings in our master bath, good luck!

Old 10-19-2007, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,680 times
Johnstown is the perfect place to live in.
I have a question though- is there a way to find out how many houses are in a specific subdivision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado