Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 09:33 AM

16 posts, read 16,311 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, just figured I would post an update for those who are interested.

So my ETD is getting close and I'm getting a little nervous, but more so excited. My plan right now is to leave my job mid July, move out of my apartment and do some work up at my parents lake house for about 3 weeks before heading out. As of next Wednesday (5/25) I will have roughly $3,600.00 in a savings account. I have been selling of things that I no longer need or use to help me out a bit more.

Over the past month I have been contacting people everyday about contacts and places for rent out in CO. Right now it's looking like I won't find a place to live until I get out there so I'll probably be camping out for about 2-weeks. I do have a few possibilities from people that I have contacted though.

As for jobs, I've had zero luck with actual interviews and responses for companies, but I have gotten in touch with some extremely valuable contacts (friends of friends, etc.). Right now a full-time year round job at Vail is looking like a strong possibility and would put me in the mountains west of denver about 30min. This would be great because it would allow me to be close enough for interviews and such while also having a steady job. I've also been in touch with someone who owns a club that can provide a job if need be (waiter, bar tender, etc.).

Wish me luck, it's almost time for me to up and go for it. I can't wait!!

-Bern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 09:41 AM

52 posts, read 131,437 times
Actually Vail is more like 1 1/2 to 2 hours west of Denver, depending on driving conditions (snow, road closures, etc) and traffic (weekend traffic can take up to 5-6 hours on peak holidays).

Old 05-19-2011, 11:18 AM

16 posts, read 16,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skifreak189 View Post
Actually Vail is more like 1 1/2 to 2 hours west of Denver, depending on driving conditions (snow, road closures, etc) and traffic (weekend traffic can take up to 5-6 hours on peak holidays).
Thanks for the heads up, still a reasonable to distance to drive for a day of interviewing though.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:22 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Best wishes, and keep us posted!

Old 05-20-2011, 12:35 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Regarding "no one on their deathbed blah blah," I know there are plenty of older, poorer women who wish they'd paid more attention to finances, period.
But for a young single person with a drive to give it a serious try, even in these economic times, well, seems it'd be a shame to let it go too long. I'm not a "go for it" person for myself- any more- having "gone for it" many times in my 20s and 30s and banged into a brick wall more than once. However, I found out what my dreams were in reality and what they weren't, and I only regret that I wasn't the person I am now to use opportunities.
A friend of mine (50 years old) lives in a trailer in Ridgway and lives to climb. For some reason, despite the bust of Ridgway and the surrounding area, he has all the painting jobs he can do- his partner seems to have every job in the area. He takes off for days at a time to climb, mostly in Utah, a few hours' drive away. It works really well for him, and he knows with various back problems, his climbing days are already somewhat limited and will be less later. But he's always climbed and loves loves loves it.
One data point- Bill.

Old 05-20-2011, 12:40 PM

82 posts, read 205,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Regarding "no one on their deathbed blah blah," I know there are plenty of older, poorer women who wish they'd paid more attention to finances, period.
But for a young single person with a drive to give it a serious try, even in these economic times, well, seems it'd be a shame to let it go too long. I'm not a "go for it" person for myself- any more- having "gone for it" many times in my 20s and 30s and banged into a brick wall more than once. However, I found out what my dreams were in reality and what they weren't, and I only regret that I wasn't the person I am now to use opportunities.
A friend of mine (50 years old) lives in a trailer in Ridgway and lives to climb. For some reason, despite the bust of Ridgway and the surrounding area, he has all the painting jobs he can do- his partner seems to have every job in the area. He takes off for days at a time to climb, mostly in Utah, a few hours' drive away. It works really well for him, and he knows with various back problems, his climbing days are already somewhat limited and will be less later. But he's always climbed and loves loves loves it.
One data point- Bill.
I don't think Bern really has anything to lose. He has full support from his parents and can return to NY if things don't work out and from what I've read and seen on the tube the job market is better there anyways. Aside of that his resume' could get noticed in Denver too.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:48 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
But for a young single person with a drive to give it a serious try, even in these economic times, well, seems it'd be a shame to let it go too long.
Yes I have told the story of my good friend in Colorado that is 67 and sleeps in his car, many times in various threads over the years. He was actually good at saving but once he hit a set number he would whiz it away and be back to square one. Now he has nothing to fall back on, works full time at a low skill job and is hoping to make it to 70 to get the full SS benefit.

He had plenty of adventures, just many not well thought out or any planning for when your body or health couldn't take it anymore.

That's why I always point out or hint at in these threads that you have to use some common sense and planning, when you decide to chuck it all and pursue your dream, which might be living in Colorado, especially the mountains. There are people I started with in Vail back in 1999 that are still in the same place and haven't really moved their life along.

At 20-30 years old it's cool to bum it and experience life, in your 30's starts to get into what are you really going to do with your life, 40's you are starting to miss the boat and if you are living in shared housing in your 50's and 60's with 20 year olds doing a ski bum job, it's a bit ridiculous.

The job I had could be classed as a ski bum type job, but I turned it into a spring board and step on the ladder. I picked up valuable experience in many areas and also took it as far as it would go in terms of a profession and earnings. I think by 2004 I was making around $50k a year, had really nice benefits and worked 8 months of the year. I did pretty well and had the option to stay in Vail and go into management but choose to follow my life's passion and used the experience gained to do so.

I always had my eye on the ball and gave thought to the future, so I think for someone out there just enamored with the idea of bumming it in Colorado or the mountain lifestyle, that's cool and all, but just give thought to the fact that your life decisions WILL impact your future life and opportunities and being 50 or 60, near penniless and with poor career options, isn't too fun I suspect.

And this isn't specifically directed solely at the OP, but all the folks with similar aims as we get many threads like "I'm dumping everything and moving to the Rockies tomorrow".

Old 05-22-2011, 09:12 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
wanneroo wrote:
That's why I always point out or hint at in these threads that you have to use some common sense and planning, when you decide to chuck it all and pursue your dream, which might be living in Colorado, especially the mountains. There are people I started with in Vail back in 1999 that are still in the same place and haven't really moved their life along.
That's how you see it, but just maybe they see it quite differently. Perhaps they are living exactly the life they want to be living. On they can say for sure.

At 20-30 years old it's cool to bum it and experience life, in your 30's starts to get into what are you really going to do with your life, 40's you are starting to miss the boat and if you are living in shared housing in your 50's and 60's with 20 year olds doing a ski bum job, it's a bit ridiculous.
Same thing for the 50 & 60 year olds. Perhaps they are living exactly the life they desire. Again only they know for sure, and all the rest of us can do is make judgements based on our own preferences.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:37 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,603 times
another thing that might help. The day you quit your job call your state's unemployment office and start an unemployment claim. You will likely be disqaulified from state unemployment for quitting but after serving a postponement period you can get federal unemployment. It's better to file the claim and have it processed and never use it than wait until you are about to get evicted and starving to apply.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:40 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
wanneroo wrote:
That's how you see it, but just maybe they see it quite differently. Perhaps they are living exactly the life they want to be living. On they can say for sure.

Same thing for the 50 & 60 year olds. Perhaps they are living exactly the life they desire. Again only they know for sure, and all the rest of us can do is make judgements based on our own preferences.
I'm sure in a lot of cases they do see it differently and in some cases not, they just don't know what to do next. My main point is not to pass judgment, rather that people in their 20's and 30's that dump their job and head into the unknown, have some general planning and put some thought into the future and what they want as we all have to support ourselves and our lifestyle somehow over our lifespan. A lot of things that might sound enjoyable or easy in your 20's might not be so fun at 60. I personally know a lot of people in their 60's and 70's working grueling hours in not always fun jobs due to by their own admission goofing off, not growing their skills and knowledge base, making foolish decisions, blowing money on stupid stuff and so on. And if given the choice none of them would work so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado