U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 01:25 AM

9,845 posts, read 21,738,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernjc3 View Post

On top of that, I've talked to several people that believe they may have some job opportunities. One would be at Oppenheimer doing some sort of asset management, another working at a bar in Denver, and another doing work at Vail.

Needless to say, I'm very excited and can't wait to get going. Now I'm just counting down the days!
If you do need a job for the winter in Vail, let me know and I can pass on some info for my old job I had for 7 years. They hire a bunch of people for winter. Great company and people, lots of international co workers as well from south america, australia and new zealand. For a seasonal job, there is a decent opportunity to earn some cash, compared to doing a job like a lift ticket operator. A lot of people come back season after season. A friend of mine will be on his 9th or 10th season this winter.

Recruiting starts in August and Sept. and training starts early november. Work begins in earnest in December and runs thru April, when everything winds down. There is also opportunity to come back for the summer and usually a few full time positions come open too. Even though I was full time I still took off 12 weeks of the year.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 03:40 PM

11 posts, read 21,441 times
Default boulder for a single mama?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post
Hey Bern, welcome. Your story sounds like a familiar variation of just about everybody I knew in their mid-20's in Denver back when I did the same thing in the mid 1990's. A very typical American story of looking out there across the land and searching for something better. Those smart folks who stood up to tyrants and fought for the right to "...life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..." were on to something weren't they? Some transplants I knew back then ended up moving "back home" for various reasons. Others are still here, thriving. All were reasonably positive about their decision and "leap of faith." Lots of Colorado kids try their luck in other states and more power to them.

If I were you, I'd be prepared to work any type of job until the breaks fall in your favor professionally, which may take some time and perseverance, as it often comes down to timing, luck, and who you know. I'd be prepared to postpone the Patagonia trip, if necessary. This is obvious, but I'd be VERY open to new people.

I suspect people (mostly so-called "natives" who can be unfriendly and don't want your kind here mucking up their no-growth ideas) are going to tell you not to move without a high-quality professional job lined up first. Which, of course, can be a bit like telling a chicken to produce another chicken without first laying an egg. It's important that you respect the opinion of these folks and not antagonize them, but don't let them get you down or infringe on your right to exist where you darn well please. This is America not some tyranny run by them, which means you get to do whatever you decide is right for you, and they can grumble miserably but they cannot stop you from pursuing your vision of happiness (though they can refuse to hire you, so I say again, don't antagonize them!)

The Rocky Mountain West is, imho, the best region left so get yourself out here and enjoy it as long as you're here!
i like you smdnsbcs! i like your attitude. so, you might be a great person to turn for some advice. My partner and 3 yr old and I are currently in NC and came from southern CA. I am very interested in moving to Boulder. I am smothered by the humidity out here and hate southern-ness, i have learned. i need to live somewhere where I am not dependent on the AC in the summer! snowy cold winters i can deal with, but I need to have a summer that lets me enjoy the outdoors!! how are the lakes/rivers near boulder?

do u have any advice for a mom who may be single by the time the move happens? what i mean is, is CO or boulder a place where it's easy to make friends and create community. i have had the hardest time out here in Asheville, and i feel part of it is people are so touchy if you talk about any thing slightly "negative" or a problem of some sort. even sarcasm(funny sarcasm!!) is not welcome here. my freinds from the west has the same feelings about Asheville. I have been here for 3+ yrs, 2 .5 of which i have been a stay-at-home-mama, and i feel like a stranger in my own town!! I also wonder if I could manage a one bedroom for me and my toddler with an expensive(restrictive) diet and supplements to buy every month, on a income provided by a job in the retail business. i have no degree and that and the restuarant industry is all i have experience in.

Thanks to ANYONE who has some helpful advice! blessings.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:51 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,324,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellalove3 View Post
i like you smdnsbcs! i like your attitude. so, you might be a great person to turn for some advice. My partner and 3 yr old and I are currently in NC and came from southern CA. I am very interested in moving to Boulder. I am smothered by the humidity out here and hate southern-ness, i have learned. i need to live somewhere where I am not dependent on the AC in the summer! snowy cold winters i can deal with, but I need to have a summer that lets me enjoy the outdoors!! how are the lakes/rivers near boulder?

do u have any advice for a mom who may be single by the time the move happens? what i mean is, is CO or boulder a place where it's easy to make friends and create community. i have had the hardest time out here in Asheville, and i feel part of it is people are so touchy if you talk about any thing slightly "negative" or a problem of some sort. even sarcasm(funny sarcasm!!) is not welcome here. my freinds from the west has the same feelings about Asheville. I have been here for 3+ yrs, 2 .5 of which i have been a stay-at-home-mama, and i feel like a stranger in my own town!! I also wonder if I could manage a one bedroom for me and my toddler with an expensive(restrictive) diet and supplements to buy every month, on a income provided by a job in the retail business. i have no degree and that and the restuarant industry is all i have experience in.

Thanks to ANYONE who has some helpful advice! blessings.
I think you might struggle quite a bit as a single mom living in Boulder on a food service industry or retail salary, even if you found low income housing. The college students will all be looking for those jobs too. You might consider other areas of Colorado, with the Metro Denver area being your best bet, to find what you're looking for.

People in the west can also come across as stand-offish, just take a look at this thread //www.city-data.com/forum/color...mean-what.html. However, if you are open to talking with people, you will find that most are willing to let you in. I think you could find some good people at parks, pools, etc.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 PM

16 posts, read 15,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
If you do need a job for the winter in Vail, let me know and I can pass on some info for my old job I had for 7 years. They hire a bunch of people for winter. Great company and people, lots of international co workers as well from south america, australia and new zealand. For a seasonal job, there is a decent opportunity to earn some cash, compared to doing a job like a lift ticket operator. A lot of people come back season after season. A friend of mine will be on his 9th or 10th season this winter.

Recruiting starts in August and Sept. and training starts early november. Work begins in earnest in December and runs thru April, when everything winds down. There is also opportunity to come back for the summer and usually a few full time positions come open too. Even though I was full time I still took off 12 weeks of the year.
I appreciate the offer and I may be in touch in the near future. However, I have a place lined up in Boulder now so it may be a little to far of a commute for a seasonal job for me (I think it's like 2 hours haha).

Anyways a little update. I moved out of my place in Arlington, VA last week and have all my stuff at my parents place in NY right now. I'm sorting through everything and deciding what I should bring and what I should give away (which is alot harder than I though it would be). I've plotted out a bit of a road trip to enjoy the ride out there which will take about 6-9 days depending on how long I stay in Destin, Florida (I have cousins who invited me to hang out there for a few nights). You can take a peak at my plan right now if you're interested.

I managed to score a great place to live in Southern Boulder near Table Mesa that will cost me $490/mo rent and ~$50/mo in utilities for a 4BD 3BA house with 3 roommates (all college grads). I'm really excited now and have made quite a few contacts through family, friends, and my website so once I get out there I am hoping to have some sort of income within the month. I also made it to the short list for a 12-week paid job through a Youth Corps group out there which would be great. More updates to come soon but if you want to read into it (and all the other stuff going on in my life) you can check out my blog: www.beendifferent.com

Cheers!

Bern

Old 07-28-2011, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 747 times
If you possess a stable federal government work I'd hang on to it. i understand many individuals that are actually searching for work for greater than a yr now

Last edited by wangyin; 07-28-2011 at 10:08 PM.. Reason: af

Old 07-29-2011, 10:48 AM

72 posts, read 151,669 times
Congrats on the advancements with your move. May I suggest one thing? Don't visit Destin. You have to come through AL and MS, worth your time skipping that leg of the trip and hitting the mid-west instead. There is nothing worth seeing, move right along.

I'm in the works of moving to Denver from South Mississippi in later winter (February), which may be a blessing or a curse...we will come to see in the near future.

We have the parents support as well, monetarily and motivationally (Is that even a word? Is now.). We plan on moving to somewhere around Denver but have no real idea as to where we should live within Denver. I'm thinking Metro but wouldn't mind having to catch the LRT to get into Denver either. I'm a big supporter of public transit. I'd love to be in the planning division of whoever is over the Denver area at some point in my career. I earned a degree in GIS/Geography which is (from research) a large field of business throughout the Denver area.

Can I pick your brain about how you networked to find your job opps? I have no family, only a couple friends of my parents and 2-3 friends in Denver as of now but of course they are all chasing their own daily lives with minimal if any time to worry of mine. Gov't jobs are a no go in virtually every city in the states right now with the budget crisis so I am looking for other options, working in a plant nursery or anything low skill automotive based (non-mechanic/service based). I have a few leads for such work but nothing is available to apply for where I can either 1) explain my plans or 2) apply for a later hiring date.

I am moving there with 2 other college grads, we all have the same mindset that work is work is work as long as we can make it until a career opens up. We really aren't the government working type ("counter culture" kids, if you have to have a name) though I could manage to not hurt myself if it were a GIS based gov't job. It's what i'm good at, enjoy, but won't cry if it's not my job.

Can you offer any tips for networking that you have noticed for the Denver area specifically? Any forums for such, or companies that may be around that offer job opps or at least accept apps in a repository fashion? Just looking for anything. Thanks a lot. Hope all goes well for you!.

PS: I type fast and efficiently so I wouldn't mind a data entry position for getting settled. I've started applying for those already.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:44 AM

812 posts, read 1,407,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellalove3 View Post
I don't think anywhere is "easy" to make friends and create community. My spouse and I moved back to Colorado (she's a native) about 9 or 10 years ago and could not, for the life of us, make friends and create community for several years. Then we moved to a slightly different part of town and made an amazing number of good friends almost immediately. There may be an element of randomness involved. Also, it can be hard with very small children.

As to making a big geographic move as a single parent of a pre-school age child with retail/restaurant job prospects, that may be too risky even for my sensibilities. The OP in this thread is a single young guy with no obvious responsibilities/ties who could presumably live on dog kibble in a tent if he needed to for a time, but a three-year old probably needs and deserves a higher level of security/certainty. Kids VERY much change the dynamic, as you know.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:10 PM

11 posts, read 21,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smdensbcs View Post

As to making a big geographic move as a single parent of a pre-school age child with retail/restaurant job prospects, that may be too risky even for my sensibilities. The OP in this thread is a single young guy with no obvious responsibilities/ties who could presumably live on dog kibble in a tent if he needed to for a time, but a three-year old probably needs and deserves a higher level of security/certainty. Kids VERY much change the dynamic, as you know.
thanks for the input. I will be living on my own, eventually, and my partener will have his own place, and we will split our time with our child. it's either Boulder(or close to the area) or somewhere in CA. The huge pushing factors for Boulder right now are that (1) I can probably find an apartment in a "safe" neighborhood for under $ 800 in Boulder area, where as in southeren CA, i will be lucky to find something at $1000, and if i do, it may be a dodgy area. (2) it seems as far as natural disasters go, colorado is pretty safe. the coastal life in CA seems too unpredictable in these times we are in, and the whole state will be a mess(in many ways) if people are all trying to escape the damages caused by the collapse of the cities. the freeways are usaully backed up as it is without any kind of tragedy on the roads. seems like a bad place to be stuck. then again, we just never know what will happen and when, right?
Maybe a good way to get more clarity of BOulder would be to spend a week or 2 in the area.

I hate having to make such big decisions when so many variables are floating in the air!!!

Old 08-02-2011, 12:31 AM

12 posts, read 22,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernjc3 View Post
I managed to score a great place to live in Southern Boulder near Table Mesa that will cost me $490/mo rent and ~$50/mo in utilities for a 4BD 3BA house with 3 roommates (all college grads). I'm really excited now and have made quite a few contacts through family, friends, and my website so once I get out there I am hoping to have some sort of income within the month. I also made it to the short list for a 12-week paid job through a Youth Corps group out there which would be great. More updates to come soon but if you want to read into it (and all the other stuff going on in my life) you can check out my blog: www.beendifferent.com

Cheers!

Bern
That's a good price for Boulder. My brother and I are moving out to the Denver area from Ohio in a couple of months and were considering Boulder but it seemed so much more expensive than Denver. For instance I saw a room share for like $800 that was a BALLER house in the foothills of Golden. Just 30 mins away in Boulder you can only get a crappy apartment share for that much.

Anyway, this thread is cool to read because your excitement to get out there mirrors my own. I love the outdoors, skiing, etc... and Ohio just isn't the place for that. I'm lucky in that I'm self-employed and it doesn't matter where I live for the work I do, so why not pick the best place in the country to live? To me, that area is somewhere around Denver. Sounds like it's the same for a lot of us

Old 08-02-2011, 01:04 AM

16 posts, read 15,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_Hobgood View Post
Congrats on the advancements with your move. May I suggest one thing? Don't visit Destin. You have to come through AL and MS, worth your time skipping that leg of the trip and hitting the mid-west instead. There is nothing worth seeing, move right along.

I'm in the works of moving to Denver from South Mississippi in later winter (February), which may be a blessing or a curse...we will come to see in the near future.

We have the parents support as well, monetarily and motivationally (Is that even a word? Is now.). We plan on moving to somewhere around Denver but have no real idea as to where we should live within Denver. I'm thinking Metro but wouldn't mind having to catch the LRT to get into Denver either. I'm a big supporter of public transit. I'd love to be in the planning division of whoever is over the Denver area at some point in my career. I earned a degree in GIS/Geography which is (from research) a large field of business throughout the Denver area.

Can I pick your brain about how you networked to find your job opps? I have no family, only a couple friends of my parents and 2-3 friends in Denver as of now but of course they are all chasing their own daily lives with minimal if any time to worry of mine. Gov't jobs are a no go in virtually every city in the states right now with the budget crisis so I am looking for other options, working in a plant nursery or anything low skill automotive based (non-mechanic/service based). I have a few leads for such work but nothing is available to apply for where I can either 1) explain my plans or 2) apply for a later hiring date.

I am moving there with 2 other college grads, we all have the same mindset that work is work is work as long as we can make it until a career opens up. We really aren't the government working type ("counter culture" kids, if you have to have a name) though I could manage to not hurt myself if it were a GIS based gov't job. It's what i'm good at, enjoy, but won't cry if it's not my job.

Can you offer any tips for networking that you have noticed for the Denver area specifically? Any forums for such, or companies that may be around that offer job opps or at least accept apps in a repository fashion? Just looking for anything. Thanks a lot. Hope all goes well for you!.

PS: I type fast and efficiently so I wouldn't mind a data entry position for getting settled. I've started applying for those already.
I'm actually going to Destin to visit some family who will be vacation there and invited me so it will be free. I also have friends in Dallas and Amarillo so the only place that I will have to camp will be in central MS before I head to Dallas. I like driving so I'm not worried about it and worked it out to about 6-7hrs a leg.

Government jobs are never a no-go. You may not be able to find a job as a federal employee, but contractors or always hiring even if it is only short-term contracts. As for how I networked out there, I am good at making friends and making myself somewhat memorable. I try to keep in touch with everyone at least once every few months whether it be an email or a phone call. When the time comes (now) I get the word out there that I'm moving and get contact info.

For the contact list I have out there now (I'd say it's pushing 30) any of my friends/family who even knew someone out there I got there contact info. Then I just dropped them an email/phone call to put me on their radar. It's something I've always been pretty decent at I guess.

Only two more days until I leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado