Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 11:29 AM

553 posts, read 1,544,470 times

Advertisements

What do you think about our Colorado "high-altitude" attitudes?
My friends and I were discussing how people from certain regions usually acted a certain way. For example, "southern hospitality", etc. I mentioned how "aloof/coldish" people seem to be from Colorado. We all had a good laugh at that one because we know it's true (we're all natives). If two strangers are standing in a long line or a crowded room, and start talking, you know immediately at least one of them is not from here and pulled the other into having a conversation. And most everybody else is not speaking at all. To outsiders, we probably seem "mean" or something, but we're not.

I've always thought CO people were usually polite, somewhat laid back but almost to the point of being kind of "frosty". You have to warm up to us it seems. Which could explain a lot when it comes to single people dating in the Mile-High city. That'd be great if people disagreed with me and stated how awesome we are ....but anyway, thoughts?

Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 AM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
It's the same game everywhere. It's all about power and control.

Nice people scare me. Why? I smell more.

Nice profile pic.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:46 AM

2,185 posts, read 5,011,721 times
I know when I moved to Dallas for 3 years people would wave to me I didn't even know and say hi. It freaked me out.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:52 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
My friends and I were discussing how people from certain regions usually acted a certain way. For example, "southern hospitality", etc. I mentioned how "aloof/coldish" people seem to be from Colorado. We all had a good laugh at that one because we know it's true (we're all natives). If two strangers are standing in a long line or a crowded room, and start talking, you know immediately at least one of them is not from here and pulled the other into having a conversation. And most everybody else is not speaking at all. To outsiders, we probably seem "mean" or something, but we're not.

I've always thought CO people were usually polite, somewhat laid back but almost to the point of being kind of "frosty". You have to warm up to us it seems. Which could explain a lot when it comes to single people dating in the Mile-High city. That'd be great if people disagreed with me and stated how awesome we are ....but anyway, thoughts?
No two people are the same, but you are right-- people in Denver on average are not friendly/talkative to strangers, but they are not necessarily mean either.

Old 05-20-2011, 11:52 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post

No most of us are very nice..
Once I was getting gas and this lady came up to me..she was from Virginia..She drove all the way to Denver..she was lost and asked for directions to her friends house..
So I told her whats her address..it was rush hour too..so I knew the streets would be busy too
I told her to follow me and I will take her there..So she did...I went off the busy streets so she wouldn't lose me
I figured someday I may need help or be lost..and I would want someone to help me..
Thats what do for each other...we help the human race..we help each other ...we make a difference..

Old 05-20-2011, 11:55 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
Well, the only place I've ever had someone collide into me was when I was driving in Estes Park, CO. So, maybe it's a mile-high spaced-out-ness?

Old 05-20-2011, 12:58 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Like everyplace some are, some are not. Just depends on the person you meet. I've met some great warm open friendly folks here on the western slope, and also met some "I'm better than you" snobs with horrible attitudes. But more friendly than not.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:29 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,998,731 times
I moved from FL and it was very noticeable how much nicer people were here. Of course I lived near Orlando, FL which is ranked the angriest city in the country, if you want to see people who are unfriendly go to that nasty place

Old 05-20-2011, 02:15 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,217,084 times
Coloradans aren't mean...just private. We tend not to strike up conversation or small talk for the sake of it. On the other hand, if we overhear something that interests us, or get some indication that a person might have something in common with us, we're quick initiate conversation.

Also have to agree about the hospitality bit. We're not necessarily going out of our way to offer someone a glass of lemonade, but partially because I think we view things through a bit of pride. If someone really needs help, we assume they will ask, and we'll be happy to give it. It not only sums up our day to day attitude but generally sums up our politics as well. "Don't invade my privacy, but if you NEED something, please ask." I find that it makes interaction more personal that way.

Old 05-20-2011, 03:19 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
I'm not mean until I get to know you. I'm not a 'native,' tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado