Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:38 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times

Advertisements

After much of the high country being closed due to snow for the Memorial day weekend I have a feeling the mud season will be late and long.
A lot of atv trails will be snowpacked till July.
Rafting however should be strong. RP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 09:08 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Proveick is right. The high country is stacked with snow, a couple of my favorite fishing spots here on the western slope I won't be going to for another month or so till the roads open up.

I live off the I-70 Fruita exit and things for the most part are still flat. The only area that stays constant is the truck stop; however the restaurant inside the complex isn't setting retail records at all. The fast food places are holding their own but still they're business is a tad flat. At the truck stop and also the Shell station the clerks tell me there are a fair amount of families who are doubling up, traveling in one big RV, where they can split expenses.

I've been familiar with Colorado's license plate prefixes for a long time and surprisingly I'm seeing a sizable drop of people coming in from the front range counties. And am seeing more out of state plates from the western states as opposed to eastern states.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:40 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Business owner friends in Ouray County told me last year was horrible. They are not expecting a good summer this year at all. Heavy snowpack in the mountains have most of the jeep trails still closed, and the Mesa County Sheriff has said stay off the Colorado which is under a flood warning. The Gunnison is also high and people are being asked not to float it, and we're expecting floods here. All that with $4.00 plus a gallon gas...I have seen lots of motorcycles though.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:45 AM

1,742 posts, read 3,117,148 times
I've noticed attendance to FIBArk Whitewater Festival : Since 1949 : Historic Downtown Salida, Colorado : June 15 - 19, 2011 has gone down also over the past 3 years. RP

Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
I still plan on posting a synopsis on my view of the rural Colorado economy in a new thread, but I've been too busy to write it. Short answer to this post--the folks I know who run tourist-related businesses are girding for a dismal summer season. Weather is not the only factor. Discretionary income, especially in the middle and lower-middle classes, has been decimated for many--the money for vacations is just very limited, if it's there at all. The most common comment from the various businesspeople I talk to every day is cryptic: "People just don't have any money." One also can not discount the fact that many Colorado "tourists" are actually Coloradans--and many Colorado residents are suffering severely from the recession/depression still in full force in this state. I was up in the hills in my local area over the Memorial Day weekend and it has been years since I've seen so few non-locals around. Most of the people up there were from less than 100 miles away, a lot from less than 50--and, at that, way fewer of even the locals milling around. I suspect that there will be a lot of tourist-related enterprises that won't be around anymore by the end of the fall.

Last edited by jazzlover; 06-02-2011 at 11:32 AM..

Old 06-02-2011, 01:16 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Out here in Cortez, tourism is way down. I don't think it has much to do with the snow pack since most people come here to see Mesa Verde and possibly Hovenweep. I work as a desk clerk in a motel here and the number of guests is way down from previous years. We get a lot of Europeans still, but they don't make up for the dearth of Americans. We still suffer from the weak economy and the high price of gas.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:17 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Vehicles seen

There has certainly been a decided increase of traffic in the mountains come warmer weather, as usual. At exactly what volume compared to 'normal,' cannot say as yet.

One thing that seems fairly consistent so far is a prevalence of SUVs and other vehicles on the road that might see 20mpg on a good day. Most of them driven, as well, as if little thought of conservation. It may be interesting to see how such habits change when the price of petrol continues to rise well past $4.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:38 AM

168 posts, read 381,482 times
If the millions in Denver would "stay-cate" to other parts of CO, it might just make up for the lack of other USA vacationers.....A nice vacation is still possible, with the added bonus of supporting the state you live in......Spend what few dollars they have on something that may just benefit them in other ways, rather than somewhere else (which I call "outsourcing your vacation")......

Since Denver is the biggest city in the state, any other in-state location would be a change of pace and new scenery......

As per what Jazz mentioned, maybe the other locations could "embellish" the term "locals discount" to include in-state visitors in order to solve that problem.....

Old 06-03-2011, 03:32 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
I've been traveling 160 for the last five weeks. It looks a tad slow to me, but motorcycle traffic is increasing.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:37 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Business owner friends in Ouray County told me last year was horrible. They are not expecting a good summer this year at all. Heavy snowpack in the mountains have most of the jeep trails still closed, and the Mesa County Sheriff has said stay off the Colorado which is under a flood warning. The Gunnison is also high and people are being asked not to float it, and we're expecting floods here. All that with $4.00 plus a gallon gas...I have seen lots of motorcycles though.
Jim9251 is right. Regarding the Colorado River, CDOT already has orange cones and barricades sitting on the west side of I-70 ready to put them in place, was just through there yesterday. The river crosses underneath the interstate just a little west of mile marker 18. Several years ago they had to divert westbound 70 traffic to exit 19 and then go 6/50 to the Loma exit and then back to I-70 and the water was up and over the road. CDOT diverted the traffic for a couple days if memory serves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado