Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2006, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 34,475 times

Advertisements

Thinking about relo to Walsenburg.....what is it like? If you live there - or live close to Walsenburg - I have a lot of questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2006, 12:24 PM

26,116 posts, read 48,720,528 times
Default Wrong Forum

Tom: You posted this in the Colorado Springs sub-forum. Walsenburg is far distant from the Springs, so we've moved it to the state-wide forum, where you may get some info.

Anyone in Southern Colorado care to help Tom? Thanks!

s/Mike from back east

Old 09-10-2006, 04:36 PM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,766 posts, read 4,120,485 times
Default Why Walsenburg?

Been through it a few times; small, a bit run down, and about 1/2 hr as I recall from larger city (Pueblo). Mountains are a little bit southwest of town.
Area would have a fairly mild climate due to not real high elevation. I imagine cost of living/housing pretty cheap, though as small as it is probably not alot of housing choices. If you want quiet, fairly mild climate, and proximity to Pueblo (north), northern New Mexico (south), or Alamosa/San Luis Valley (west) then Walsenburg would be OK I guess.

Old 09-14-2006, 11:27 AM

2 posts, read 16,020 times
Default Walsenburg

My sister and her family live just North of Walsenburg in Rye. Walsenburg is O.K., but it's an older town with not much industry. I believe there's a prison around there, but other than that I don't know what they do for jobs. The scenery is foot hills with Juniper trees. To the South, West and North are higher mountains. I think it's pretty around there. If you go straight West towards Alamosa, you'll find some great sand dunes. If you're interested in living close by, Rye is absolutely beautiful. It sits right at the base of the mountains and has gradual sloping views to the East. It's relatively undiscovered so far, so land and home prices aren't too expensive yet. You can buy homes in the tall pines, junipers or oak brush. Rye has it all. Rye is small with only 1 store. I don't think they even have a gas station. It has a fairly big school though. Colorado City is 8 miles away just off I-25. It has a big golf course and a few small necessity stores (groceries, hardware, gas, etc.) Pueblo is about 35 miles North on I-25. Rye has some drastic weather changes at times. One day it can be 70 degrees and beautiful, the next day they may have several feet of snow. (Yes, I said Feet) Good Luck on your decision!

Old 12-10-2006, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 12,150 times
Well, I would definitely come for a visit before committing to anything. The Burg is O.K., it's definitely seen some better times economically. There's a bit of a revival happening-- new restaurants, coffee shops, etc. However, the town has got some pretty deep seeded problems-- i.e. generational poverty, violence, drugs, unemployment, etc. But, there is definitely a core of people who are trying to help the town, and to some degree they are being successful. I guess it depends on what you're looking for-- housing is cheap, but there's a reason why.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:55 PM

17,878 posts, read 27,274,926 times
I believe the Burg is an old mining town, is it not?

My parents and I worked a business or two out there in the late 70's. My dad had a heart attack during that time at the age of 46. He's been healthy ever since we got outta there. That's not a stab at Walenburg, that's just our experience. My brother had his car broken into and his stereo stolen, but he was probably "asking for it".

If you are retired or can make a living off of agriculture or could get a job at a pretty nice medical center as a doctor or RN, it would be the place.

The burg is not too far from Trinidad, it's a gateway to the San Luis valley, Taos, Alamosa, Durango via Wolf Creek Pass, the Sangre De Cristos, etc. All the outdoors stuff is right there or near by.

It is more like an hour from Pueblo unless you drive 110 mph. Its elevation is pretty high and can be very windy. Walsenburg can get more snow that even Rye depending on those NM lows.

The burg reminds me of some of those 5,000 + towns along the ark valley, but with better mountain views.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:21 AM

37 posts, read 126,190 times
Meh, Denver or Fort Collins are the only cities I'd live in in CO... maybe the Springs.

Old 05-31-2007, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 8,738 times
Default Walsenburg Co

If you're looking for the big city attitude, move to Colorado Springs, Denver or Boulder. If you are looking for a lot of friendly people, move to the Walsenburg area. I lived in Longmont and worked at the University in Boulder-talk about a town with attitude!!! Then I lived in Canon City for over 10 years. Lots of prisons there-which means lots of jobs, mild weather year around, and lots of friendly people. But it really has it's growing pains with traffic.
After putting up with people and traffic for years, we moved 10 miles west of Walsenburg in the pines. Have met many many friendly people here. Yes, limited shopping here, but a 45 minute drive north or south gets you to Trinidad or Pueblo.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:35 AM

13 posts, read 85,624 times
Cool Questions?

Hello, below is a copy of a post I submitted to someone that was thinking of moving to Walsenburg. Also, it would depend on if you want to live in town or outside. The post I submitted was someone that wanted to live on property outside of town. If you have some specific questions I would be happy to try to answer.

Just a note of caution about the Walsenburg area - the post concerning the water - be sure to check it out. Water is a huge problem all over Colorado and especially if you don't have water rights and don't have a good well. My sister has lived outside of Walsenburg for 10 years on 35 acres. She has a solar and wind powered house and they have trucked in water for years. They and the adjoining properties have all tried drilling for wells and "nada". The same applies over in my area - Trinidad - many people truck in water and if you have a well - water quality can be a problem. Lots of methane well drilling that has polluted many wells in the area. We lucked out as we sit on 35 acres and are on city water (a truly unique situation) and not one that happens very often. Trinidad has a nicer downtown than Walsenburg and it is growing BUT it is still very rural and medical can be a big problem. My elderly mother lives with us and I do a lot of driving up north for her doctor appointments. I have satellite internet and satellite television - as does my sister. Kind of expensive to get set up - fairly reliable. I work from home via internet as well. We have phone service and electricity - NO DSL in the outlying areas. We garden and it is a huge struggle due to the water issues and you have to be very careful if you have pets and livestock. Mountain lions, bear, coyote are all in the area. We have dealt with a rattlesnake problem as well. I don't want to be totally negative - it's a trade off everywhere - just want to give you a heads up. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado