Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 08:40 PM

835 posts, read 2,856,288 times

Advertisements

wasnt blasting him!!! easy!! but it is amazing how everyone in LA seems to move right to Denver, dont bother me i dont care but its sorta true now isnt it? ( not just denver the denver area in general
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 09:19 PM

346 posts, read 1,566,444 times
I was going to ignore this thread, but being that I live in Southern California and do want to move to Colorado, I felt a need to reply. First of all, many of us Californians come from the mid-west ( or elsewhere) originally. My folks, aunts and uncles all transplanted here from Nebraska, Minnesota and Missouri. And guess what? We're not all rude, obnoxious idiots, so please don't categorize the entire southern portion of California as such. I've lived here my entire life and have developed deep relationships with many people, either through my job, kids' school, or church. My desire to move to Colorado is primarily based on the fact that I would like my children to be near extended family, as I lost my parents and in-laws several years ago. People move for many reasons, from many different places and not just to Colorado. As far as a huge influx of Californians moving to Colorado, I personally don't know any statistics about that. I do know, however, friends who have moved to Virginia, Florida, Iowa, Indiana, Missouri, Tennessee and Georgia--all from California. I guess my point is that for generations people have been moving and searching for what's right for them. Some find it, some don't. For me, I feel Colorado is the closest to "right" I can find, and I hope that it will become my home in the near future.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:47 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDriven View Post
Hi everyone,

My wife and I are considering a move from San Diego to Colorado, but we're not sure where yet. We would both be working from home, so our requirements are a little unusual. We want a small town with friendly people and little crime, a private school or exceptional public school, some land that's horse friendly (1/4 to 1 acre), a new-ish house (0-20 years old), close to mountains but not snow-bound half the year (not flat area, mountain view), lots of greenery that doesn't turn an ugly brown 8 months out of the year, a stable and reliable cable or T1 internet service, and a local Fedex office. In other words, away from the big city but not on the moon. We still want to do some traveling, so within an hour of an airport would be nice.

We've heard that some places in Colorado are religious to the point where they're intolerant of any other opinions. I know it might be difficult to find, but we'd prefer neighbors with open minds.

Looking on realtor.com at housing, I did find it a little odd that very few houses have their own pool, even with so much sun all year. Plenty of community pools, but we'd rather have our own.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
John

Well, this has turned into an excited little thread. I would say no problem, if you have the cash buy what you want.

1. "...lots of greenery that doesn't turn an ugly brown 8 months of the year.."then buy it, import the right plants, enclose it in glass and buy enough water to keep it that way for the whole year because the nature of a semi-arid area is not that.

2. "...within an hour of an airport"...--with the right amount of money you can buy it but keep in mind you will have to adapt to no. 1.

3. "...close to mountains but not snow-bound half the year (not flat area, mountain view..." all areas of Colorado have snow half the year--it can snow all year some places and September to June in Denver --maybe not snow-bound but it can be had, No flat area, that leaves out much of the State of Colorado and Denver which sits on the Great Plains. So close to the Mountains--snows more....maybe you cannot fulfill no. 2 and maybe not no. 1.

4."...want a small town with friendly people and little crime, a private school or exceptional public school, some land that's horse friendly (1/4 to 1 acre), a new-ish house (0-20 years old)..." If you can buy it, it can had but you maybe will not fulfill No. 1, No.2 and No 3.

5. "...We've heard that some places in Colorado are religious to the point where they're intolerant of any other opinions. I know it might be difficult to find, but we'd prefer neighbors with open minds...." This is the easiest to get, you do not cash because by far most areas of Colorado, I have seen, are open-minded, and I am New York Atheist--It was more of a problem from being from New York and my tell-all accent and mannerism (which I modified)---being an Atheist is no problem (I swear to god!!!) If they accept me then someone from a nicer state of California is no problem---remember you still got to fulfill No. 1, No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4.

Have you tried "Fantasy Island" De Plane, De Plane....

Old 08-07-2007, 11:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
wasnt blasting him!!! easy!! but it is amazing how everyone in LA seems to move right to Denver, dont bother me i dont care but its sorta true now isnt it? ( not just denver the denver area in general
Considering LA has almost 4 million people in the city alone, and metro Denver has about 2.5 million, I would say the answer to your question is "no", everyone from LA does not move straight to Denver. There would be more people here and fewer there if that were true.

Old 08-08-2007, 12:22 AM

1,312 posts, read 7,915,731 times
Okay folks, listen up and listen good.

Lot's of "I want to close the gates behind me" kind of thing going on here and berating of those moving here and before Mike closes this thread and makes it a *poster child* for how to behave here on the boards I will give you my take on what it means to be a Coloradoan. Okay? Listen up before someone breaks a finger by being too pi$$ed off.

Look, the commenting of things like "another LA" or "another CA" or "another _______insert locality or state or whatever" is not warranted here.

I am a Colorado Native, born raised and proud to be here. The worst thing anyone can do is put this kind of scourge (if my terminology is correct) amongst those that come here from other places in the country or the world.

As a lifetime resident (but for a month and a half in Louisana - never again, not my kind of place) and as a woman that is proud of her Colorado roots knowing that I was adopted - family was military apparently - my adoptive family came here in the early 50s or so, I find it very rude that people continue to classify people as some kind of vendeta against old-timers to our state.

I don't care if you've lived here all your life like me or if you've lived here 30, 10, 5 or 1 year. The reality is that people have been moving to Colorado and other Rocky Mtn. states for a reason.

You do a complete diservice to those that really love our state by pulling a 70s or 80s "shut the door" or "shut the gate" by putting down those that are looking for a better life.

Is it distressing to those that have lived here for a long time to have the landscape changed and the roads crowded? You effin' bet. But I will not stand by and allow people to berate, in certain terms, those that wish for a better life. I especially wont see that people that have only been here a few years or so to be rude to others wanting to come here. My life is about trying to be polite and sometimes in this, the Denver area forum and the general Colorado forum I find myself embarassed by those that have come here by default say things like they do....The Colorado I live in is polite and accepts all. This was and is apart of this state. Some of the comments in this thread and a few elsewhere make me sad.

Our world is becoming smaller as our population grows. We can't stop that and by all that is good, whatever your terms, please stop (and this is to all that are a member of the city-data Colorado forums) coming down on people who want a better life.

If you want the better life and you aren't seeing it there are a couple of avenues you can take.

#1. Realize that the western states are the places to live and have a family now...people are escaping the hugely crowded cities and yes, they are making our cities bigger but there's not a da*n thing you can do about it. It's been happening since the US became a country of territories and now states.

#2. As an almost 39 year resident of Colorado (hey my birthday is coming up and it's 39 years) accept it or leave it. I don't care who comes here from anywhere. True Coloradoans will accept the newcomers and most like me have been thoughtful and accepting. But it distresses me that people would be so bold, those that haven't lived here longer than a grasshopper or a snake for a summer or perhaps even a few lifetimes of a mosquito, to take up the fate of Colorado and the population.

The US is filled with states that boom, states that falter and states that kind of exist. Colorado is fast becoming a state that is booming even if real estate is not up to par (hey the whole country is reportedly not up to snuff) but I will not sit by and allow people to poopoo the newcomers. If you have lived here for all your life, then you have an opinion or perhaps you have moved here and find it just fine for a few years but don't place any people in that mode of being interlopers or I will find you just the same as a native here. It's wrong and it's not worth the effort to be so judgemental.

I know what this state is about and have lived it for most than more than any Coloradoans on this particular forum given my birth right and my age.

This is not time to pull out the stereo-types and if Mike closes this thread, all the power to him, I am all for it. I find it rude and not complementary to my own Colorado Native senseabilities.

I don't mind the new-comers to my state. I think it's a huge compilment. But the moment that new people and old-timers alike place people from outside of here in a bad light...it's wrong on so many levels and if you don't like it, leave. Colorado is a wonderful place to live, raise a family.

Lighten up. Get over your "close the gates" syndrome as that's not going to happen in any of the western/Rocky Mtn. states.

Please, please refrain form that kind of talk. Holy cow, I feel dirty now.

Last edited by COflower; 08-08-2007 at 12:24 AM.. Reason: I can't type a post without typos - one fixed the rest I don't care

Old 08-08-2007, 06:49 AM

I am not a native and I agree. I said some of those things in the 80s. Thank you.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:06 AM

50 posts, read 317,527 times
I was just channeling Woody Guthrie and he said, ".....From California, to the New York Island; From the redwood forest to the Gulf Stream waters, This land was made for you and me....."
And then he closed with (and I really wish he hadn't done this 'cause now it's stuck in my head)...."kumbaya my lord, kumbayaaaaa"

Old 08-08-2007, 10:36 AM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Default Once we are here, We are all "Native" and a "Pioneer"

COflower,

Very good points in your post albeit a little verbose.

I do get tired of hearing the term "Colorado Native". So what???? You lived here your whole life, well, I care if you tell me about something that I have never experienced; I am enthralled when you have a real Colorado accent (very rare) and I will ply you with questions if you come from a remote town in the state because that is interesting. But just to say you are a "Native", it has become the N word in my mind and other transplants. I think it is very funny to pay extra for license plates to advertise the word "Pioneer".

I remember reading that New York has more people, by percentage, that have never moved, from their State but rarely did I hear the term "native"-maybe they would not admit to it. Of course there are ex New Yorkers all over the place because there is so many of them. I never heard people derided because they came from another state. If fact, if you met someone from Colorado, Wyoming etc., one was entranced and wanted to learn more about them, because it was so rare.

For myself, I have been given more of a hard time from the people who think that they are "god-given" because they grew up in this state.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:52 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
canyontiger2 wrote:

You are kidding, right? You want to come to Colorado but want to bring coastal S.Calif. with you? Have you ever been to Colorado? I think with your way of thinking etc, you better stay in S Calif. coastal. Swimming pools waste water. Colorado is a semi arrid state that sends water to Calif to waste. So maybe you should look elsewhere or just stay put. Open minds--you don't want open minds, you want all to agree with you and your weird coastal, southern Calif ideas. Boulder might fit but it still has fall and winter and semi arrid. I lived in S Calif. on the coast with the military for 10 yrs. Never met such mean minded, rude, hateful, closed minded intolerant people in my life, before or since. People inland and north Calif. are so different. They are what I would term as normal. friendly, helpful, loving type people. Sure everywhere has odd balls but coastal, southern Calif have more than their share.

Canyontiger2, you sure took a negative slant with this post. You don't even know these folks. Ease up and give em a chance.

JDriven

Be advised that Canyontiger2 doesn't speak for the entire state of Colorado. I've lived in Colorado for over a year and I NEVER met anyone with this kind of attitude. Everyone I've met has been friendly, helpful, and welcoming. Fortunately, the trash talk is limited to the forum. Let me be the first to welcome you to Colorado.

blessings....Franco

Old 08-08-2007, 07:10 PM

Well, I've met a lot of people with canyontiger's attitude. I agree with livecontent. I have heard that Pennsylvanians are the ones least likely to move (!), but I don't think I ever heard the term "Native" used there, either. I certainly never heard anyone express their "nativity" as a qualification for public office, as I have heard here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado