Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 06:11 AM

5 posts, read 9,343 times

Advertisements

Hello I have been following the forum for some time and was looking for some friendly advice on relocating to the area.

I have been to Durango twice and am looking hard at area and Santa Fe, NM. I would like a place that would welcome me . I'm looking to be involved in the arts and blacksmithing and have my own studio / shop.

As for a career I am retired and now a personal trainer with a nice home gym. Are people in Durango looking for a personal trainer ?? I see some interest .

As for my passions, I love to date women,exercise,hiking, bicycling,Harley Davidson, my dachshunds, camping and laughter. I consider my self to be a spiritual person who loves to help others.

Nightlife isn't that important to me. Good food, drink and a place to meet people with similar interests to enjoy life with are.

Ideally a place to live for me would be a little quieter. It could be in Durango or within a half hour. I need a place to have my studio and gym for training. I am 46 and would be moving to Durango area by myself.

Please reply and help me make my decision on Durango area .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 07:07 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,280,397 times
I'm sure either place would welcome you. Both draw a lot of tourists so if you can gear your blacksmithing to some things that appeal to them you might do pretty well. Perhaps horseshoes and belt buckles that have either Durango or Santa Fe stamped into them? Santa Fe's population is about 10 times that of Durango's so there's a bit more going on there and you'd have a larger customer base. Plus Santa Fe is a state capital. If I had to choose between the two I'd pick Santa Fe. Durango's nice but I'm not sure it would hold my interest for long. I like the hispanic influences of Santa Fe. Durango would be a little too white bread for me.

There's a Trader Joes in Santa Fe but not Durango. That would be the clincher for me.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 06-27-2011 at 07:43 AM..

Old 06-27-2011, 09:34 AM

26,233 posts, read 49,112,227 times
Agree, and Sante Fe is right off of I-25 and EASY to get to ALL year, where Durango seems to be largely a summer destination.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:18 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,014,231 times
If I was not dependent on either local economy for my income, I'd pick Durango in a heartbeat over Santa Fe. I loved Santa Fe when I first visited there in the late '80s, but I couldn't wait to get out of there on my most recent visit in '06. It had grown tremendously ( or so it seemed ! ) during the 20 year interval between visits. Too much traffic for my small town tastes. One of the plusses for Durango in my book, is that it IS off the beaten path.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:28 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,280,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
One of the plusses for Durango in my book, is that it IS off the beaten path.
I hear a lot of whining on here about the traffic so not sure you can say that's true anymore. Lots of residents and tourists crammed into a relatively small area.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:38 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,014,231 times
Apologies Cava for my lack of clarity. By off the beaten path, I meant distance from an Interstate highway. In that regard at least, Durango certainly IS off the beaten path compared to Santa Fe.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:24 AM

1,869 posts, read 4,026,071 times
yeah, that "traffic" gets to me here, but when I think of the traffic from back east, it's nothing!!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,433,985 times
I think there is a major smithing/forging art world in Santa Fe. I forget the name of the studio but there's a famous art forging place.
Data point.

Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 AM

5 posts, read 9,343 times
I wanted to thank everyone for their help I received here. Your input is very valuable to me.
I hope many people comment so I can hear the pros and cons which will help me make my decision the right one.

Always,
Kernel

Old 06-30-2011, 07:39 AM

194 posts, read 566,337 times
I lived n Santa Fe for 2 years. Has some great points but the traffic was horrendous and the people are pretty lame. Not to mention the school system was one of the worst ever and there was a very large gang problem in that town. Check the crime stats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado