Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2007, 10:16 PM

15 posts, read 52,125 times

Advertisements

The OC (orange county) is just slaughtering all of us in our mid-twenties who are working professionals and trying to establish ourselves. I've lived here my entire life and planned on buying a home, but every year cost of living rises three times faster than my income. Right now in Irvine, CA, the median home price is $710,000. Where I grew up, in San Clemente just 15 miles south, the median home price is $1,100,000+. I grew up with a single mother in my grandmother's house she bought 30 years ago for $60,000 (probably worth $850,000 now if she still owned it), so keep in mind we're not all mega wealthy paris hilton superstars like everyone from Newport Beach!

And so begins my quest for a higher quality of life. Can I find it in Colorado?

My dream is to find:

1. A city that is within very close proximity (e.g. 20 minutes) to world class mountain biking, a few hours to a lake for boating/wakeboarding, and or close to other outdoor activities.

2. A city that is large enough to have night life and younger culture, but not so large that you have smog and traffic like that of LA, OC, and Phoenix.

3. A city with plenty of high tech jobs (eg software) and a skilled IT workforce.

4. A city that is friendly to both bicyclists and pedestrians. (Here in Irvine, its onderful becuase there are bike lanes everywhere, but there are so few pedestrians about--everyone drives--that its extremely dangerous to walk anywhere for fear of someone yapping on their iPhone and drinking their Starbucks mocha latte while taking a right-turn through an intersection at 40mph while the pedestrian has a walk signal).

5. Lastly, I need to find affordable new housing, which to me, is 300K or under. (I work about 60+ hours per week on my business so I can't afford to do a remodel).

Thank you so much. I am going on a mountain biking trip to CO this spring and look forward to seeing your beautiful state for the first time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 10:41 PM

10 posts, read 36,339 times
Well, for what you are looking for, Seattle is best. It has everything your looking for. Exept, you didn't mention weather, do you mind rain?

Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,998,905 times
Virtually anywhere in Colorado will be close to outdoor activities -- that's probably our biggest selling point as a state. You do probably need to go where the jobs are, if you work in tech. Denver and its suburbs (including the city of Boulder) are where the tech jobs are -- probably 80-90% of the tech jobs in the state are within 30 miles of downtown Denver. Outside Denver and Boulder, Colorado Springs and Fort Collins each have their share of tech employers, but job availability is a bit more uneven and salaries can be a bit lower. Beyond Denver/Boulder, Fort Collins, and Colorado Springs, any tech jobs you'll find in Colorado are going to be few and far between.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:52 AM

92 posts, read 474,116 times
I would have to disagree. You will not be able to find much under 300k that is close to the city. In the city, it's more. Other than that I would say Seattle would fit except for the cost of living.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:02 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,998,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleborn View Post
I would have to disagree. You will not be able to find much under 300k that is close to the city. In the city, it's more. Other than that I would say Seattle would fit except for the cost of living.
Actually there is much available for under 300k, even in the city (Denver) but especially in the suburbs. The median house price here is $250k, so the $300k would be above average.

Finding something NEW that's close to the city and under $300k is another thing, but "new" and "close to the city" tend to be mutually exclusive anyway. I'm not much impressed by new construction, personally, and can't recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado