Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:58 PM

152 posts, read 392,367 times

Advertisements

Pueblo, Huerfano, Saguache, Rio Grande, Alamosa, Costilla, and Conejos counties are the only places that have felt Southwestern to me! Colorado Springs, Denver and the eastern plains are an offshoot of the Plains as far as I'm concered. The architecture is bland and uninspiring. A look to the east just yields miles of prairie dotted with cattle ranches and small towns marred in the haze of animal dust and shavings from the massive slaughterhouses that dot the land.

I guess Colorado gets confused for being Southwestern because most every Mexican restaurant dumps green chile slop over everything possible! Not so.

Save for a few places in south central Colorado, this state is either Midwestern or in some ambiguous zone.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:00 PM

82 posts, read 205,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I don't see it. Just look at our large festivals. They celebrate the west and the Hispanic culture. Some are: The chili and frijoles festival, The Wild Wild West Fest, Boats Bands and BBQ, even the state fair has a Fiesta Day with a parade that celebrates the Hispanic culture. The Professional Bull Riders is headquartered in Pueblo on the Riverwalk and they want to build a arena in downtown to train bull riders from around the world. You can't get more "west" then that. Also, Pueblo has arguably the best Mexican food in the state with our signature dish being the Slopper made with chili with the Pueblo pepper and people from the northern front range always drive down to Pueblo to eat at our restaurants even though they are much larger. CSU Pueblo is designated a Hispanic servicing institution and Pueblo has a Latino Chamber of Commerce.
mmmm.....yummmmm...Slopper!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:01 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinslv View Post
mmmm.....yummmmm...Slopper!
More info on the Slopper and what it means to Pueblo and our culture.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:06 PM

82 posts, read 205,949 times
Quote:
Really? You have not heard of the festivals? Not even the state fair?

Chili is Hormel in Tucson? Pueblo is known for our chili as its made from the Pueblo Pepper. Just look at this from food wars about the Slopper:

mmmm Slopper...yum

I over reacted. I'm really sorry. Really. I have some friends from your town but oddly they never have mentioned the festivals.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 PM

297 posts, read 896,431 times
Quote:
OK! a Slopper is now officially on my list!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 AM

839 posts, read 2,416,751 times
My perspective on this is that Pueblo is the northern boundary of the southwest region at least as far as the I25 corridor is concerned. I have a lot of family in NM, from Albuquerque and Sante Fe, as well as having lived in Pueblo myself. The overall "feel" of Pueblo is very southwestern, owning to it's climate, strong Hispanic heritage, and culture.

Really, the biggest difference I observed between Pueblo and Albuquerque in terms of culture anyway, is that Pueblo also has a strong Italian influence that Alb. doesn't have.........

Old 06-28-2011, 09:41 AM

26 posts, read 90,762 times
Pueblo will always keep it's southwest culture, I mean C'Mon look at the name and what's in a name? Pueblo! You can't get anymore southwest than that. I have family from Pueblo and from the San luis Valley and my culture is southwest, I agree with Josseppi, with all the fiesta's and chili and frijole' festivals. Pueblo is a great representation of the southwest. For generations my family has always went to Pueblo to get Green Chili from the farms down there, and I know New Mexico has great Green Chili but lets not forget Southern Colorado and Colorado in general when it comes to green chili we are 2nd to New Mexico, and I say this because Green Chili is a staple of southwest cuisine.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenScoutII View Post
My perspective on this is that Pueblo is the northern boundary of the southwest region at least as far as the I25 corridor is concerned. I have a lot of family in NM, from Albuquerque and Sante Fe, as well as having lived in Pueblo myself. The overall "feel" of Pueblo is very southwestern, owning to it's climate, strong Hispanic heritage, and culture.

Really, the biggest difference I observed between Pueblo and Albuquerque in terms of culture anyway, is that Pueblo also has a strong Italian influence that Alb. doesn't have.........
You make a good point about the Italian influence in Pueblo and that is a direct result of the steel mill as many Italian immigrants came here to work there, including my great grandfather. Because of this Pueblo has some of the best Italian restaurants in the state.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solas71 View Post
Pueblo will always keep it's southwest culture, I mean C'Mon look at the name and what's in a name? Pueblo! You can't get anymore southwest than that. I have family from Pueblo and from the San luis Valley and my culture is southwest, I agree with Josseppi, with all the fiesta's and chili and frijole' festivals. Pueblo is a great representation of the southwest. For generations my family has always went to Pueblo to get Green Chili from the farms down there, and I know New Mexico has great Green Chili but lets not forget Southern Colorado and Colorado in general when it comes to green chili we are 2nd to New Mexico, and I say this because Green Chili is a staple of southwest cuisine.
Our Green Chili is 2nd to New Mexico's? I think New Mexico's Green Chili is 2nd to our Green Chili.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:13 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:

Barf.

Another reason to avoid Pueblo.

Who in the world came up with this bright idea to dump slimy green chile all over a burger?

For me from now on anytime I think of Pueblo, I'll remember the Slopper.

Pueblo=Slopper

Maybe I'll call it Sloppertown.

Thanks for the good laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado