Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 10:00 AM

334 posts, read 520,024 times

Advertisements

Personally I have nothing against new york state as a whole. New york CITY on the other hand can go fornicate themselves. I was through there once and i've never seen more rude and pushy self absorbed bunch of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 10:04 AM

345 posts, read 913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Your experience is different than mine. When we came here 30 years ago, there was tremendous hostility to easterners, with New Yorkers the epicenter of the hatred. About once a month, someone would write a letter to the Denver Post regarding "rat-infested eastern cities" and "pushy easterners". Those are just two of the phrases I remember. The "Native" bumper stickers were out in full force, leading DH and I to buy one and put it on our cat's box. After all, he was a native.

Why would it be obvious that it was a Californian who was feeding the wild sheep?
I never have experienced it, but I did read things in the paper like you described but it was all aimed at the Californians. When I first looked to move here houses in Boulder were going in the 60k range and that did change once the influx of people came here from Cali and those prices when through the roof. Too bad I did not buy a house then lol

I find that when/if people find out where I am from the pepper me with questions about NY, I have not met with hostility. Although is drives me batty when they say Long Guyland, I do not say that and do not know anyone who does, but some act like we all say it. They probably saw it on TV

Now some people from Cali have told me that they get flipped off, supposedly almost run off the road and etc so I guess that is why they change their car plates so fast

LoL David at least you can poke fun at your home state "peoples"

STC that is the cool fun part of NY, the rest of the state is a bore Good food, pickpockets, singing bums, guys selling stuff that "fell off" the back of a truck on every corner, the subways where you should never never ever go to the bathroom is all part of the fun! I have little use for upstate and some of the other boroughs especially that landfill they call Staten Island.

Last edited by gmm_24; 07-07-2011 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-07-2011, 10:44 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,025 times
jazzlover wrote:
For several years, I lived in Wyoming. A very common sticker on Wyoming vehicles there was one of "Calvin" peeing on a "greenie" ("greenie" being how Wyomingites referred to Coloradans because of the green license plate). Now, as a native Coloradan, I could have taken offense to that, but after seeing the condescending attitude Coloradans (mostly people from the Front Range) exhibited toward Wyomingites--things like calling Wyomingites "stupid hicks" and other pejorative remarks, often right to their face--I could understand why a lot of Wyomingites had no use for Coloradans. Instead of being defensive about it, I would apologize to those Wyoming folks for the lousy way those Coloradans behaved toward them, and would tell them that not all Coloradans behave that way. When those Wyoming folks figured out that I wasn't like the jerks--especially since I was from rural Colorado--we got along just fine.
That's the point jazz! On a one to one level, most of us discover that we have common ground with each other. I find this to be the case even with people who initially push my buttons. First impressions can be really lousy indicators of friendship potential. We always have a choice on wether to get hung up in that first impression, or go beyond it and learn more about the person....who might end up as a really good friend. Makes me wonder how many great friendships I've passed up in my life because my potential friend made a bad first impression on me.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:34 PM

166 posts, read 432,644 times
So are there any 'native' Coloradans on the front range? Because it sounds like only rude transplants live here and all the nice people are on the west side....were they born in the blob and migrate over or are they 'NATIVE RURAL' coloradans.. HEY new bumpersticker idea for you guys! Enjoy

Old 07-08-2011, 08:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliemac View Post
So are there any 'native' Coloradans on the front range? Because it sounds like only rude transplants live here and all the nice people are on the west side....were they born in the blob and migrate over or are they 'NATIVE RURAL' coloradans.. HEY new bumpersticker idea for you guys! Enjoy
I hope this is sarcasm! I know quite a few "natives" who grew up on the Front Range. My kids, are natives, though I have lived here longer than they have.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Whether it is a native or an out of stater, I still keep in mind one irreversible truth. There are two types of people in this world, good and bad.

OP, don't give that moron another thought, please. I live in an area where maybe 2/3 of the population are from other areas of the state or are out of staters. And I've heard it all from some of these cretins, especially as the Grand Junction area was starting to really grow in the late 1990's. I can't count enough the number of times I heard people berate the businesses on North Ave., or Orchard Mesa, or other parts of the area just because they were older areas. And I'm not discounting long time natives, there are some of them here I wouldn't give the time of day to after some of my experiences with them.

And on the other hand I've met newcomers, be it long time Colorado people or out of staters who would give the shirt off their back to an individual.

Over the years I've found that people who don't respect other people don't have much respect for themselves.
Thank you. I am from Long Island and live in a community which is home to a large public university. It draws Folks from all over the world. The area is also rich in pre-Revolutionary history and is located on the water -- we get tons of tourists here.

Never have I heard a person berate another's plates, insult their home state or country. I've helped new neighbors get acclimated, helped them learn their way around. Perhaps if I were a 'stereotypical' NYer I would have flipped the guy off and cussed at him. But that's not me or my style.

We continued on with our trip and made it back to LI.

Western Colorado was by far the most beautiful place I have visited to date in the US; the twit in Ouray is long in the dust.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Sorry one moron ruined your nice drive. Don't let that one person spoil your vacation. Next time you're in these parts, send me a PM, I'll buy yall lunch.
Thank you. You buy lunch, I'll treat to dinner!

Old 07-08-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Well, in all honesty, NY does suck pretty bad.
And you are qualified to write this because?

Old 07-08-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post

NY has it's good points and it's bad points like anywhere. For me it is cost and overcrowded, I cannot live upstate and would chew my arm off in boredom
~~livinslv I doubt even a 4th of the state of NY has left it, or else it would not be so damn crowded!
~~Mike my grandparents raised us all to be Damn Yankee fans even though they live 15 mins from the Mets Stadium lol
Pinstripes!

I had family in Bayside, was born in the Bronx and raised on the south shore of LI. If I tawk fast I might slip and say cawfee, drop my 'R' on words like wateh, bumpah stickah. Needless to say, I take great pains to watch my pronunciation.

When asked where I am from, I reply NY. People have such disdain for LI and have no idea how large it is, and that there are many great things here.

If I could have the Atlantic beaches and the Rockies, I would truly be in heaven.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
With all due respect, I have to disagree here. While some prejudices are irrational, based on emotion, or teaching of parents/friends, etc., it is often some personal encounter or experience (or, in many cases, numerous encounters or experiences) with a certain group of individuals that causes people to develop a prejudice against the whole group. For example, the distasteful behavior of a lot of Californians in the Rocky Mountain states has led to a pretty general dislike of them in this region. Is that fair to the many quite decent people from California? No, but that widely held dislike did not happen by chance. I don't think most Coloradans start out with a dislike of any particular group, but when enough of us get our snoot rubbed in the dirt by a group, then a general dislike is born. It's also nothing new. I saw the "Don't Californicate Colorado," "Welcome to Colorado, NOW LEAVE," and even "F*** Californians" bumper stickers starting over 30 years ago. And, if anyone thinks that Californians are widely disliked in Colorado, well, take a trip to some of the other Rocky Mountain states and see the sour way Californians are viewed there--they are REALLY vitriolic about it in some of them.
This is similar to what I've seen in Vermont. There is a dislike for NJers and I've seen bumper stickers reading 'Don't NJ VT'. I'm considered a flatlander (and after Million Dollar Hwy, I am a confirmed white knuckle flatlander) and will never be a Vermonter, despite owning a house and having a business there. BUT I am respected because I took the time to respect the ways of the natives, to seek their advice, and to never attempt to create a NY environment unlike the NJ folks do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado