Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,193,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlvonde View Post
ok so now I have to know..what are the general attitudes/dispositions/etc. that make Texas (and/or Texans) so hate-able?

I've seen a lot here about Texas hating but no-one gives a reason other than "it's Texas" :P. Being from southeast TX I need to know what stereotypes I'm going to have to overcome when I visit.
Let me in on it when you figure it out; I'm from Texas too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 11:26 AM

833 posts, read 1,712,157 times
In the late 70s and early 80s the complaint I remember hearing was, "Those damn Texans come up here, have no manners and just ski over your (ski) tips and spit tobacco all over the mountain."

Of course, I was in grade school, so my memory and some of the details may be a little hazy, but that phrase has always been stuck in my mind.

In reality, my guess would be that this was during the oil boom and there was an influx of Texans; any time a large group of people move/immigrate into an area there is a clash of cultures and tobacco juice staining our pristine snow aside, I think that's the real issue - volume.

You see it now with Californians in Colorado (and in Arizona where I am currently); on a national scale you saw it with the Italians and Irish 150 years ago and, immigration status/issues aside, currently with Mexicans & Hispanics.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:39 PM

26 posts, read 34,067 times
ha! tobacco juice stains! that stuff really is disgusting!

Even in Austin the gulf coast area as looked down on as the "armpit" of texas. So I think I'm in the part of Texas even Texans hate!

I'm sure there are a lot of "loud and proud" (aka obnoxious) Texans that come up there, but I think it gets back to what someone said earlier..some people just don't respect others...and it manifests itself in different ways based on your "culture" shaped by your upbringing and geographical location. Unfortunately people who do show respect for others are hard to come by, so it's natural to be defensive when one of "those people" are around...completing the cycle one more time.

Old 07-16-2011, 06:10 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,105,648 times
I remember, on a trip home, in the 70's, seeing a bumper sticker that read "IfGOD wanted Texans to ski, he'd have painted bull**** white."

Old 07-16-2011, 09:57 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,257 times
Wink Home sweet ... what the?!

Volume was mentioned, which is certainly valid. Concurrent with that is also change.

Throughout the course of human history someone not of the immediate area and local was foreign and necessarily suspect. Moreover a certain reason for such feeling when the world was less ordered and they may have been Vikings or others looting and pillaging. But human nature as well to view even the far side of town as somewhat different. Even within groups or families there can be prioritization and separation.

But such expression within Colorado is more easily applied to those without. As a favored destination for tourism it will suffer the same double edged sword any other beautiful place will: revenue which is welcome, but also can be corrosive in some effects; then just volume, the total numbers of people somewhat removed in custom who can overwhelm. Those living in resort areas will probably understand how a feeling of local community can suffer at certain seasons and times, indeed some aspects lost altogether due changed dynamics. Similar in some respects to coastal communities which are invariably more cosmopolitan, with more eclectic influences than others further inland. An experience often in whole welcomed, but often not without resultant problems in crime and alienation which their more insular brethren are just as happy to do without. A trade off and compromise, although seemingly no free choice when one has chosen to live off the beaten path, but then overrun anyway with masses with cameras.

My guess is that those from California, Texas, and even New York, merit particular antipathy because they have had such a strong influence. There could be individual cases the same from other states in this nation or abroad, but those three states all have large and often wealthy populations. Thus in both volume of new transplants and their economic ability to disrupt such things as housing markets they stand out. Moreover, and probably most strongly with Texas, their expats share a strong sense of place: where they came from. As a Coloradoan one may be reminded at times by some new neighbor that their real allegiance is still to Texas or wherever, but they like the scenery in your neighborhood well enough to move in and do just as they like with their money.

So at times the locals are shown the door to their former homes by newcomers who do not always share their views and sympathies, and may not care to, and with the economic resources to build some big new fancy house on the former site of your relative shack. Also with enough money to begin to have sway in politics and the course of local affairs.

Thus someone with a distaste for Californians or others may know little of the state or representative in question, but their feeling if specifically directed in the moment, is of a more general complaint. Of being put upon. Of having had a pleasant and lovely home after a fashion and then finding it invaded and slowly taken from them.

Some of our Native American brethren would probably more than understand.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
I appreciate everyone's input and insight on this thread. Please know that in no way, shape, or form was it intended to imply that the shouter was representative of folks from your fair state.

The guy was a chucklehead. Someone suggested he might have hated the Yankees -- that made sense. Living in an area with lots of transplants, that was the consensus here, too. Seeing as I don't have any sort of stickers on my car for any sports team or college, I never gave the Yankee (Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Islanders, Bills) angle a thought.

The thing which amazed me was that parade goers, marchers, and detoured drivers were all smiling and waving...and then we get Mr. Suck.

All in all we had a wonderful time checking out Colorado as we drove home from Utah. We visited Durango, Silverton and Glenwood Springs and found everyone we encountered (except vacuum man) to be very friendly and welcoming. If you encountered someone with a Lawn Guyland accent earlier this month -- we might have crossed paths.

FWIW I did notice a lot of Texans vacationing throughout my CO travels. Perhaps Vacuum Man was one of them!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:45 PM

31 posts, read 64,610 times
"Hell, try living in DC, where MILLIONS of tourists and school kids arrive every year" I'm late to the party but have to re-emphasize this - omg cherry blossom time is hell. And add to that all the terrible drivers with diplomatic plates, who know they face no consequences. Last time I was up in the front range area, week of July 4, my rental car had Mississippi plates; can only imagine what the natives thought of that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado