Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:05 AM

21 posts, read 156,566 times

Advertisements

[quote=parker;109582]Hi - just moved 5 months ago from Ventura County - here are my costs in Parker, CO versus Ventura County

Ventura Parker
Pedi/Mani 28 50
Housekeeper 65 140
gardener 60 a month 70 a week
1 gallon plant 5 10-15
health insur 1000 530
gas 2.99 2.65
groceries a week 200 210[/QUOTEA

Are you saying that Parker is that much more expensive than Ventura, other than health insurance and gas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 10:24 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
Interesting anecdotal info on price.

But here is what makes the difference for me:

Item: Newer SFH (0-5 years), minimum 3000 sf. Source of data is realtor.com

Ventura / Parker
$900k / $350k

The extra $550k on a mortgage adds $3200 to the monthly cost of living. Even if I could afford $900k - why do that?

That's why we left the DC metro area for Colorado Springs, the affordability of housing here makes it a no-brainer for me.

Then there is the beauty of CO, the friendly people, so much to do, the mild climate along the Front Range.

s/Mike

Old 10-26-2006, 03:20 PM

616 posts, read 3,004,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Summers in Colorado can be like living in a furnace.
While it can get into the 90's and occasionally break 100, I would not characterize it as "living in a furnace". I lived in Santee, California for 13 years and it would routinely get 100+ in the summers and fall, now that is a furnace! I'm sure those in some other areas of CA, NV and AZ have experienced worse than that.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:43 PM

220 posts, read 776,564 times
We are anxious to get out there and see if our savings estimates are close as we predict it will amount to several thousand dollars a month. The costs on Long Island are staggering.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:12 AM

11 posts, read 60,353 times
Hey there LeavingCali

Have you looked up in the Durango, Colorado area. It is a pretty small community but has some of the amenties you might be looking for, great mtn views, just built a new hospital Mercy Medical and have quite a few jobs listed online in the medical fields, and also Ft Lewis College for your teaching. Although, the prices are a little higher for housing, but not as high as California, taken from an ex-Californian. Just above Durango, 25 miles is Durango Ski Resort, and a town called Hermosa for mtn living. Durango downtown has an old town historical community with many shops, and if so inclined they do have a super walmart there. Check it out you might find it appealing in that area.

Vikki

Old 11-01-2006, 05:54 PM

117 posts, read 622,915 times
I'm surprised that health insurance is so much more money there in Colorado. Anyone have any feedback as to why?

Old 11-02-2006, 07:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
While it can get into the 90's and occasionally break 100, I would not characterize it as "living in a furnace". I lived in Santee, California for 13 years and it would routinely get 100+ in the summers and fall, now that is a furnace! I'm sure those in some other areas of CA, NV and AZ have experienced worse than that.
See, for me the dry heat is not always a blessing. I purposely used the word furnace.
Colorado set heat records in both 2005 as well as 2006, with triple digit temps.
No doubt those other states you mentioned can match that--and then some.
That's why I don't live in those places.

Quote:
I'm surprised that health insurance is so much more money there in Colorado. Anyone have any feedback as to why?
I think it is a sign of the times. While we were in Denver, our health insurance costs steadily rose--but wages didn't.
Business owners are faced with cutting pay,dropping the benefit or providing their own benefits.
Kaiser Permanente is both a healthcare provider as well as an insurer, and I was with them until I got married. All things considered, I was pleased with the care I received with them.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:09 AM

616 posts, read 3,004,991 times
Quote:
See, for me the dry heat is not always a blessing. I purposely used the word furnace.
Colorado set heat records in both 2005 as well as 2006, with triple digit temps.
No doubt those other states you mentioned can match that--and then some.
That's why I don't live in those places.
I still think that using the expression "living in a furnace" is quite a stretch, but you are entitled to your opinion. The humidity level here is half that of the San Diego area, so routine 100+ temps in the summer there coupled with the higher humidity make it far more furnace like IMO. I'll take the occasional 100+ here over the routine 100+ temps elsewhere anytime, especially with lower humidity.

Last edited by gpraceman; 11-02-2006 at 07:19 AM..

Old 11-02-2006, 07:34 AM

117 posts, read 622,915 times
Quote:

I think it is a sign of the times. While we were in Denver, our health insurance costs steadily rose--but wages didn't.
Business owners are faced with cutting pay,dropping the benefit or providing their own benefits.
Kaiser Permanente is both a healthcare provider as well as an insurer, and I was with them until I got married. All things considered, I was pleased with the care I received with them.
Thank you for your response Cil! So far the health insurance is the only thing that is going to cost us more - almost triple for one that is close to what we have now.
I'm starting to think maybe I should plan on getting a second job with a
a hosptial there in COS, or maybe a health insurance company.

Old 11-02-2006, 08:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
I still think that using the expression "living in a furnace" is quite a stretch, but you are entitled to your opinion.
Thank you!
Quote:
The humidity level here is half that of the San Diego area, so routine 100+ temps in the summer there coupled with the higher humidity make it far more furnace like IMO. I'll take the occasional 100+ here over the routine 100+ temps elsewhere anytime, especially with lower humidity.
I think maybe we are looking at this from two different frames of reference.
My point is that a furnace does not contain any humidity at all.

Good luck, Thunderbird. I hope you are able to work out something with health insurance. I hope you don't have to get a second job, but I understand that you have to do what's necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado