Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 04:04 PM

1 posts, read 945 times

Advertisements

I am a 35 year old born and raised Texan girl. But I am ready for a change. It is too hot here to do the things we love doing as a family. We love hiking, camping, and really anything outdoors. I have never been to Colorado, but we are planning a trip to the San Juan Forest hopefully next month. After looking at several blogs and pics my mind is made up. I want to move to Colorado. I wish I could now, but my goal is to finish college and then make the move. I have 3 years to go.
So we are looking for a place more family oriented. We would like a few acres. And I will be working as a radiology tech, so somewhere near job prospects also.
I would appreciate any advice, because I have not traveled too far outside of Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 06:10 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,989,104 times
Wink Longing from Texas

The common wisdom might be don't make up your mind until you've at least visited Colorado.

Southwest Colorado is an often very lovely place, but without near the job prospects as the front range running between essentially Colorado Springs and Fort Collins. In the southwest region Durango is by far the largest town, and center of business. You might begin by looking there.

From Durango there is no shortage of beauty and good options in hiking and camping, etc. The catch for most people with such aspirations is finding a way to make an adequate living. Of late, meaning the last several decades, Durango has become all the more popular and grown. If that has added a few new jobs, commensurately the price of real estate has easily escalated to outpace that. While the area poses no danger to Aspen in outflanking it in cost of living, still one of the more expensive in Colorado when factors such as local wages, number of jobs, desirability and real estate are all totaled up.

I remain more optimistic than some others on this forum when it comes to personal initiative. With enough determination you may end up (and remain) in Durango, or maybe Rico or Ouray. But when finally out this way take some time devoted to sightseeing, and spend it instead on visiting possible employers, and getting a sense of what such a life would really be like. You'll find no shortage of those in Colorado looking at Texas a bit askance, readily agreeing with you that it is too hot, and a good many other questionable things. But they might also, in more sober and contemplative moods, admit that just existing in Texas is easier.

Unless, of course, you just happen to love mountains, then all bets are off. There is nothing easy about being where you do not belong or wish to be.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:43 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,685,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposa0902 View Post
I am a 35 year old born and raised Texan girl. But I am ready for a change. It is too hot here to do the things we love doing as a family. We love hiking, camping, and really anything outdoors. I have never been to Colorado, but we are planning a trip to the San Juan Forest hopefully next month. After looking at several blogs and pics my mind is made up. I want to move to Colorado. I wish I could now, but my goal is to finish college and then make the move. I have 3 years to go.
So we are looking for a place more family oriented. We would like a few acres. And I will be working as a radiology tech, so somewhere near job prospects also.
I would appreciate any advice, because I have not traveled too far outside of Texas.
99 times out of 100 in Colorado where the jobs are is not where the mountain vistas and hiking-camping-biking-rafting-skiing is.

Most likely you'll be living in a urban area such as Denver and having to commute up to the mountains on the weekends to do such things.

Also keep in mind that the tourist or scenic areas you visit will most likely have few real locals, mostly due to remoteness, lack of jobs and harsh weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado