Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 10,807 times

Advertisements

WE are considering a move from Missouri to Evergreen. I have been out there in the summer and LOVE IT. My question is what are the other three seasons like? Most conerning is winters. We have very cold winters here too, I worry about the wind in the mountains. We would like to live more in town of Evergreen and not up in the mountains. The commute down the mountain to get to town and a bit longer than I wish. We have two kids( 11, 8) That are very social and love to play with others.
Also is there any areas you could recommend for housing. We live on 7 acres now and LOVE our privacy but with a move to a new area, we dont want to be isolated, but do want a little space. Less than $400,000....

Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 03:16 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,062,935 times
I LOVE Evergreen too!!! It's a fine place to raise your children and, you can find something in your budget! I'm sure winters are like most Colorado foothill winters,...maybe someone will answer that question for you!!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,784,886 times
Winters have much more snow and is windier and colder than nearby Denver. I find the main difference in the weather in Evergreen and the metro of Denver is that the snow sticks in Evergreen so it can pile up at times. It is very beautiful in the Spring, summer, and fall; and if you can tolerate or even enjoy a lot of snow you will really enjoy evergreen. It is part of Jeffco schools which are very good(lakewood is in the same school district so I know). When moving to CO we were searching evergreen first but chose Lakewood because we are from CA and we must acclimate to the snow here before Evergreen but you coming from Missouri should be find.
Best of luck

Old 07-29-2011, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 10,807 times
Thank you for the replies. I am more nervous than my husband bc I have been and worked in colorado ONLY in the summer. I haven't been able to get out in the winter to check it out for myself. MY husband thinks the climate is similar to Japan's. He was stationed there for 2 years and said he loved it.
Are there any areas to stay AWAY from in Evergreen?
Thanks again

Old 07-29-2011, 03:18 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,575,838 times
Japan? That's out of left field. From people I know that have lived in Japan, it doesn't have much to do with Colorado due to the maritime climate and humidity in Japan.

Evergreen sits in the middle of the zone of convergence of elevation from the continental divide down to the prairie of Denver and beyond. All year long as warm air rises during the day and cold air sinks at night and also depending on the gulf of mexico air currents, jet stream, storms from the west and north and so on, it gets battered by winds year round.

I've been in hurricanes and thunderstorms and Evergreen and the surrounding foothills get some whopper winds and when you get updraft snow storms in spring it can be pretty wicked.

There is a reason the foothills have grown gradually over the years compared to the explosive growth of the rest of Denver Metro.

Evergreen and the foothills also catch the edge of the pollution temperature inversions that happen, especially in winter. So it can get foggy and nasty as well. It can be 40 degrees and sunny in Idaho Spring and then you climb Floyd Hill into a nasty cold fog in the foothills.

There are nice days in Evergreen, but don't fool yourself there is no wind or bad weather there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado