Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:22 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
California does some good things too:

Schwarzenegger Announces Joint Western Goal to Slow Global Warming

regards...Franco
Like one of my western Colorado rancher friends likes to say: "If you sift through enough horse manure, you may find some oats."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I think too many people in Calfornia have the attitude, "Eww, Colorado? Isn't that one of those cold, red, square states? Why would anyone want to live there?" On my two research trips to Denver and Springs so far, the only thing I think I'll miss from California is the milder weather and In N Out.
I travel to Colorado several times each year, and do so by driving there. I have never had a bad experience because of my California plates. The weather there isn't as temperate as it is in California, but there is something neat about having four seasons. In-N-Out is probably the one thing I miss most when I visit Colorado, too. Too bad they only have stores in CA, AZ, & NV. At least I can stop in Las Vegas for a Double Double on my way home from Colorado!

I really wouldn't worry too much about being a SoCal transplant in Colorado. There are tons of ex-Californians in Colorado. I know a few, and have met a few others in my travels. It doesn't take very long to find someone else from California out there. I think most of the negative attitude people see is from other ex-Californians that don't want more people moving into Colorado. The same thing happened in Oregon. It was a classic case of "I got mine - you can't have it."

Old 06-11-2008, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,169 times
Thumbs up No Pinkberry, but there's CEFIORE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMom View Post
have you guys heard of pinkberry, it's a new type of frozen yogurt place that's a big hit here supposedly, I've never been.
CAMom - I moved to Denver from LA with my fiance last year and we're disappointed that there's no frozen yogurt places out here, which are all the craze in SoCal. Our favorite place (Pinkberry's biggest competitor) is Cefiore! They have more flavors like Acai and Raspberry-Pomegranate and more toppings than Pinkberry.

And best of all...Cefiore is coming to Boulder, CO!!! Check it out: CeFiore (http://www.cefiore.com/location.php - broken link)

We're super excited and thought you might be interested too! We love it, but be careful it can be addicting

Old 06-12-2008, 12:41 AM

300 posts, read 1,258,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMom View Post
have you guys heard of pinkberry, it's a new type of frozen yogurt place that's a big hit here supposedly, I've never been.
yes! i have pinkberry every week! its soooo good! they are just now getting around to putting on in orange county. it is, for sure, an LA thing for the time being. its taken a long time for OC to get one. now their competitors are settin up shop around here.

okay, and what about Golden Spoon? does CO have golden spoon? if not, i will really, really miss those! i wont miss in-n-out, since im a vegetarian (i still love the shakes and fries, though!).

and, jazz lover, i think you can rest easy. i dont think that the mere addition of small yogurt shops, in-n-outs and a trader joes is going to drastically change the colorado landscape. also, no one will make you go there, either.

i agree with one of the previous posters (ca mom?) about colorado elected officials being more careful with zoning and development. and if co ranchers want to sell out and sell their land to developers to make that dollar, then thats THEM doing a diservice to your state- not the people who move there with tax dollars in tow to purchase a home and live their life.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:03 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I don't mind the vineyards. My point was that orchard acreage is in freefall. Vineyards contributed to some of that, but most of the orchards have succumbed to rural sprawl. So many orchards have gone away that much of the infrastructure to support the fruit industry in Colorado--packing sheds, canning plants, etc.--have disappeared, too.

Personally, I get real real worried that we import about 70% of our oil these days. But what scares the living hell out of me is that we are becoming reliant on imports for our food, too! Check out a bottle of apple juice, for example, and see where the apples are coming from. So, let's see: we're dependent on a bunch of foreign countries (many run by two-bit dictators, terrorist sympathizers, or general U.S. haters) for the energy to run our cars and supply much of our other energy "needs" (because we can't figure out how to conserve--even a little); and--pretty soon--some of those same type of prima donna countries may be deciding how much food they are going to send us. Is there anybody besides me that thinks that isn't a very pretty picture? Meanwhile, in Colorado, we just keep drying up and paving over our prime ag lands . . .
The points coming where we all need solar paneled greenhouses in our backyards to grow our own vegetables year round. Actually, I'd really like to do that, but don't have the money right now. I say "solar powered" because I've heard they're very expensive to heat. I have no idea if such a thing exists.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:16 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,135,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
The points coming where we all need solar paneled greenhouses in our backyards to grow our own vegetables year round. Actually, I'd really like to do that, but don't have the money right now. I say "solar powered" because I've heard they're very expensive to heat. I have no idea if such a thing exists.
Greenhouse solar shed

I have no idea if this is anything good, or practical here, just googled.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:39 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
The price of that solar shed is ridiculous !

Old 06-12-2008, 01:12 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Greenhouse solar shed

I have no idea if this is anything good, or practical here, just googled.
I've seen that type before, but I was thinking of having something like tripple pane glass, and then a solar energy panel to run the heat in winter. A friend of mine has a greenhouse in his back yard in San Diego full of orchids and he has to heat it a bit in winter when temps regularly dip into the mid 40s at night, and he said it was running him around $500 a month to heat it!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:15 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
I've seen that type before, but I was thinking of having something like tripple pane glass, and then a solar energy panel to run the heat in winter. A friend of mine has a greenhouse in his back yard in San Diego full of orchids and he has to heat it a bit in winter when temps regularly dip into the mid 40s at night, and he said it was running him around $500 a month to heat it!

What's he heatin it with "burning $100 dollar bills"

Old 06-21-2008, 12:53 AM

140 posts, read 475,352 times
Wink Check out LEDs for lighting, works for tomatoes

Quote:
I watched some videos on Youtube, about LEDs, used for Lighting Greenhouses, seemed to work on Tomatoes, this will make it more feasable, as for heating, look into Radiant heat from Floors , Geothermal, Woodheating, and Wood Gasifiers, there are Forums on these at Yahoo groups, and maybe here too.
My wife and i are Hobby Farmers for the last 3yrs, still learning . We are considering Colorado need to live near larger city for work, but want Rural lifstyle , any suggestions ?
No not made of big bucks, we moved 5yrs ago from SOCA, to Rural Arkansas, yeah keep laughing, but we made money on our Home with 5.45 acres, and enjoyed the nice helpful folks round here. I was a native Californian that now is proud to say i am from Arkansas. Have Fun and keep thinking of ways to grow Food, make sure to share with poor families- it will make you happy-like we discovered. Best Wishes, AJ and Denise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado