Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 03:01 PM

85 posts, read 473,712 times

Advertisements

My wife and are in our early 30's, 1 child, we just sold our house in socal four months ago and are having a home built in parker Co. I've read posts in this forum for the last six months and found it to be very helpful. Now I know this has been talked about extensively on this forum, but I have never heard of one angle on this topic. My wife and I believe we are very friendly people, outgoing, considerate, have good morals, desrire a sense of community, etc. etc. We want to contribute to the city we will be moving to. I will think of myself as a upstanding citizen, not an ex californian. I have a strong feeling many other people such as myself are probably moving from cali for the same reason (can't find the things we desire here anymore). This doesn't seem to me to be a negative thing if my assumption is right. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 06:46 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
I, for one, am completely in agreement with you. You may find, however, that some people will hold your "Californianess" against you, no matter what. Grow a thick skin. Don't apologize for being from CA. Soon, people will see the person you are and not the state you're from.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:08 PM

156 posts, read 944,225 times
I think most of the anti-Californian feelings have past, most everybody is used to having Californians moving here.
The biggest problem I think you might have is rude drivers because of your CA license plates. I would suggest changing them quickly.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:15 PM

thanks for the replies, I had planned on the license plate swap once I get there after having read previous posts here. As for the thick skin, that doesn't bother me at all. I figure someone that is mad like that isn't probably worth worrying about, life's too short

Old 08-12-2007, 09:26 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMom View Post
My wife and are in our early 30's, 1 child, we just sold our house in socal four months ago and are having a home built in parker Co. I've read posts in this forum for the last six months and found it to be very helpful. Now I know this has been talked about extensively on this forum, but I have never heard of one angle on this topic. My wife and I believe we are very friendly people, outgoing, considerate, have good morals, desrire a sense of community, etc. etc. We want to contribute to the city we will be moving to. I will think of myself as a upstanding citizen, not an ex californian. I have a strong feeling many other people such as myself are probably moving from cali for the same reason (can't find the things we desire here anymore). This doesn't seem to me to be a negative thing if my assumption is right. Any thoughts?
We're just up Highway 83 from you at 83 & 105. We moved from Thousand Oaks near LA last year. We were in Parker today with our three kids at the H2OBrien Pool and park concert on Mainstreet. You have nothing to worry about. This community and Castle Rock, Monument, and Colorado Springs are very friendly communities. Looking forward to Parker's Oktoberfest in a few weeks.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:55 PM

Default charles

thanks for the input charles that's nice to hear. We are looking forward to meeting people like you out there. I think in general that it's about the person and not where they grew up(there's jerks that are from anywhere in the united states) if you know what I mean.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:03 PM

320 posts, read 1,727,837 times
CAMom, we too are moving from So Cal to Colorado next summer. We were both born and lived here(CA) our entire lives and are just tired of the people, the traffic the prices and the rat race. We are so looking forward to living a slower more involved lifestyle. Our kids will have more room to play and be far safer than here.
I know a few people from Colorado, some from here some are natives, they are all good people, people I like being around and associating with. I look forward to becoming part of the community and contributing the neighborhood. Save me some room in Parker, we're headed out next moth for a week to check it out

not to mention the financial advantages of CO. We will buying a hous twice the size 30 years newer with acreage and still have a very very small mortgage, if at all.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:18 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
CAMom, we too are moving from So Cal to Colorado next summer. We were both born and lived here(CA) our entire lives and are just tired of the people, the traffic the prices and the rat race.
We are hearing this rational repeatedly.

Not sure how any middle class persons (with kids) can justify living in SoCal anymore. There are so many other places that meet family desirements so much easier: Comfortably sized houses in a reasonable price range, less traffic, better schools, newer planned infrastructures with intelligent shopping and entertainment, and most importantly, jobs.

I lived in LA for 45 years. I have a family with three (four in October) little girls. No way is SoCal the place for me. It was 20-25 years ago when I was single and was into fun and parties and beaches and bars and clubs and chicks and that kind of stuff.

I love Colorado.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:35 PM

136 posts, read 739,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
We are hearing this rational repeatedly.

Not sure how any middle class persons (with kids) can justify living in SoCal anymore. There are so many other places that meet family desirements so much easier: Comfortably sized houses in a reasonable price range, less traffic, better schools, newer planned infrastructures with intelligent shopping and entertainment, and most importantly, jobs.

I lived in LA for 45 years. I have a family with three (four in October) little girls. No way is SoCal the place for me. It was 20-25 years ago when I was single and was into fun and parties and beaches and bars and clubs and chicks and that kind of stuff.

I love Colorado.
I have been thinking and planning to move to CO from Bay Area quite a while. We know the pros quite well for the move. My perception is, however, that majority CA people still love the CA life style and we have to admit that CA is still a wonderful place; say, the job market in CA is better than other states (IMO). When my wife spoke out our plan to move to CO in a party, people around her looked at her as it is somthing wrong with her head. I guess people have different tastes on different life styles. I am glad to see that many people in this forum have the same observations on the moving to CO issue as mine. As long as we get what we like to have, I don't care "majority Californian's" opinion.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:55 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,309,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingcol View Post
When my wife spoke out our plan to move to CO in a party, people around her looked at her as it is somthing wrong with her head.
I think too many people in Calfornia have the attitude, "Eww, Colorado? Isn't that one of those cold, red, square states? Why would anyone want to live there?" On my two research trips to Denver and Springs so far, the only thing I think I'll miss from California is the milder weather and In N Out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado