Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 01:04 PM

118 posts, read 310,594 times

Advertisements

Not being at all sarcastic, I do consider it a bargain.

I sold a home in the Northeast, bought a comparable home here (in arguably one of the areas higher-end neighborhoods) for a little less money. In the 2 years since moving, my Durango home’s value has fared better than our place in the Northeast, so our place here is now worth more than the house back east.

My property taxes here are less than $1,000 per YEAR vs. $1,300 per MONTH in CT. That alone is a huge cost of living difference.

Beyond the total cost of living, which is absolutely lower here, our quality of life (subjective to be sure) is better here beyond a doubt. People friendlier, outdoor recreation that is simply staggering, we feel better about raising our 2-year old here without question, municipal and community services are definitely better here, the weather is better here. And our bath towels dry in 4 hours instead of 4 days.

Beyond all that, I flew 50,000+ miles for business in the first six months of this year (unusually high for me, but so it goes), and business travel to/from DRO is infinitely more pleasant than my past 15 yrs in and out of JFK and LGA. And it has absolutely proven to be no more expensive to fly out of our regional airport.

I rent a small office overlooking Main Ave. for nominal rent. I ride my bike to work several days per week. I can walk to good, no, great fly fishing water during my lunch break, for cryin' out loud!

We just spent 10 days back east on vacation. And everything we saw drove home the point that this is a much better place to live (for us)…beyond a doubt. And it costs less.

How’s that not a relative bargain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 01:10 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
VenusAllen wrote:
They chide us for our use of "anecdotal" data, which we use to reinforce our decision to live here, while knowing NOTHING of the conditions from which we came, except what they might have gleaned from the internet. Double standard, anyone?

A high percentage of the population has been programmed from birth to see 'hard evidence' like statistics and scientifically derived numbers to be more valid and meaningful than a persons 'mere' anecdotal real life experience. If a scientific methodology was used to render a certain measure, then it is unquestionably true to those who live within the constraints of their self imposed boxes. To them, how can the words of a common citizen carry as much weight as an official pronouncement. An analyst in Denver or Washington certainly knows sooooooooooo much more about Durango than someone who merely lives there.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:12 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasse View Post
Not being at all sarcastic, I do consider it a bargain.

I sold a home in the Northeast, bought a comparable home here (in arguably one of the areas higher-end neighborhoods) for a little less money. In the 2 years since moving, my Durango home’s value has fared better than our place in the Northeast, so our place here is now worth more than the house back east.

My property taxes here are less than $1,000 per YEAR vs. $1,300 per MONTH in CT. That alone is a huge cost of living difference.

Beyond the total cost of living, which is absolutely lower here, our quality of life (subjective to be sure) is better here beyond a doubt. People friendlier, outdoor recreation that is simply staggering, we feel better about raising our 2-year old here without question, municipal and community services are definitely better here, the weather is better here. And our bath towels dry in 4 hours instead of 4 days.

Beyond all that, I flew 50,000+ miles for business in the first six months of this year (unusually high for me, but so it goes), and business travel to/from DRO is infinitely more pleasant than my past 15 yrs in and out of JFK and LGA. And it has absolutely proven to be no more expensive to fly out of our regional airport.

I rent a small office overlooking Main Ave. for nominal rent. I ride my bike to work several days per week. I can walk to good, no, great fly fishing water during my lunch break, for cryin' out loud!

We just spent 10 days back east on vacation. And everything we saw drove home the point that this is a much better place to live (for us)…beyond a doubt. And it costs less.

How’s that not a relative bargain?
I cannot argue with your line of reasoning. You did it right. I've noticed that people who enjoy living in Colorado accumulated their wealth elsewhere and then moved here when they were able.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
I cannot argue with your line of reasoning. You did it right. I've noticed that people who enjoy living in Colorado accumulated their wealth elsewhere and then moved here when they were able.
Or haven't accumulated wealth, but can be telecommuting working people like my wife and I.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:28 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchasse View Post
Or haven't accumulated wealth, but can be telecommuting working people like my wife and I.
I think most people would consider the acquisition of a house that you can trade for a place in one of Durangos better neighborhoods, a form of wealth accumulation. Especially in a market where people are hemmoraging blood over their mortgages. More power to you for doing it right....

Old 08-18-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I think most people would consider the acquisition of a house that you can trade for a place in one of Durangos better neighborhoods, a form of wealth accumulation. Especially in a market where people are hemmoraging blood over their mortgages. More power to you for doing it right....
We still have a mortgage that my wife and I have to work in order to pay comfortably, but I hear you. The bottom line is this: I can very honestly say that I feel lucky every day that we're able to live here. Never once had the same feeling about anywhere else I've lived.

Last edited by jchasse; 08-18-2011 at 01:57 PM..

Old 08-18-2011, 03:10 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,278,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenusAllen View Post
I keep hearing about how expensive it is to live here but I just don't see it. For those who espouse this stance is there a particular demographic that you are referring to? Sure, if you're a kid who moved here to be a ski bum you should prepare to struggle but in what part of the country wouldn't they? That's part of life, start slowly and build. I will agree that if one overbought on a house that they face challenges that some of us don't but, again, this is not just a Durango issue. I agree with Jazzlover that the housing bubble is going to burst, but that doesn't affect everyone, the market will take care of those who made poor decisions, as it will across the rest of the U.S. Those from larger areas might even consider Durango a bargain. The townhouse we rent would cost us about $200 less in semi-rural Kentucky...K-E-N-T-U-C-K-Y, people. $2400 per year is not going to break us, and as a matter of fact, we spend double that vacationing here every year so we actually end up "net" winners. I've come to the conclusion that those who poo-poo Durango's cost-of-living have no clue what it's like to live elsewhere. They chide us for our use of "anecdotal" data, which we use to reinforce our decision to live here, while knowing NOTHING of the conditions from which we came, except what they might have gleaned from the internet. Double standard, anyone?
Can you come chime in on some Bend, OR threads and set some of my comrades strait with this perspective?

Many of these issues in these "Mountain Towns" are not as unique as locals tend to over-state.

Now, are there major issues which must be worked on? Of course, but by no means are these types of towns anomalies, especially when considering their size, structure and locations.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:59 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
That explains everything.
How does that explain anything?

Old 08-18-2011, 07:26 PM

169 posts, read 373,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
VenusAllen wrote:
They chide us for our use of "anecdotal" data, which we use to reinforce our decision to live here, while knowing NOTHING of the conditions from which we came, except what they might have gleaned from the internet. Double standard, anyone?

A high percentage of the population has been programmed from birth to see 'hard evidence' like statistics and scientifically derived numbers to be more valid and meaningful than a persons 'mere' anecdotal real life experience. If a scientific methodology was used to render a certain measure, then it is unquestionably true to those who live within the constraints of their self imposed boxes. To them, how can the words of a common citizen carry as much weight as an official pronouncement. An analyst in Denver or Washington certainly knows sooooooooooo much more about Durango than someone who merely lives there.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado