U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 06:10 PM

14 posts, read 51,155 times

Advertisements

My husband has been relocated to Grand Junction and is arriving there with our travel trailer as I type this. We are moving from the Gulf Coast and me and the kiddos will be joining him when our house sells or in Oct/Nov...whichever comes first. I have done lots of reading and searching on this forum and am grateful for all the info. However, most of the posts regarding Grand Junction are 2+ years old. I would appreciate any and all advice, tips, do's and don'ts. I'm sure I will have specific questions soon so I thank you all in advance!

Stephanie
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2011, 10:13 PM

3,516 posts, read 8,316,826 times
Grand Junction is a nice town. My biggest tip coming from the humid coast is drink lots of water, get use to using gallons of moisturizer and lip balm and don't forget the sunscreen.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:37 AM

1,599 posts, read 2,949,189 times
I live in the Grand Junction area. What specifically would you like to know? I can fill up pages of info describing GJ.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:01 AM

Thanks! Is Redlands still considered the best area for schools? My children are in 4th, 6th, and 12th grades. Yes, I have a Senior who is more than ready and willing to move her last year of high school. I was more than willing and prepared to stay here so that she can finish high school, but she wants to move! Also, my 6th grader is deaf. She has bilateral cochlear implants and hears great with them. She is mainstreamed and does awesome. Ideally, I would have liked to make the move prior to school starting, but it's just not possible. So I'm hoping kids will be receptive and friendly to my "new kids".

Also, any crazy weather phenomenon or potential natural disaster I should be aware of? We've been through 3 hurricanes in the past 5 years. Two of which caused major damage to our home. We lost almost everything we owned in the last one.

Another question I have is regarding vehicles. I have a BMW 3series sedan. Will this get me around GJ terrain in all seasons?

TIA!
Stephanie

Old 08-15-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie239 View Post
Thanks! Is Redlands still considered the best area for schools? My children are in 4th, 6th, and 12th grades. Yes, I have a Senior who is more than ready and willing to move her last year of high school. I was more than willing and prepared to stay here so that she can finish high school, but she wants to move! Also, my 6th grader is deaf. She has bilateral cochlear implants and hears great with them. She is mainstreamed and does awesome. Ideally, I would have liked to make the move prior to school starting, but it's just not possible. So I'm hoping kids will be receptive and friendly to my "new kids".

Also, any crazy weather phenomenon or potential natural disaster I should be aware of? We've been through 3 hurricanes in the past 5 years. Two of which caused major damage to our home. We lost almost everything we owned in the last one.

Another question I have is regarding vehicles. I have a BMW 3series sedan. Will this get me around GJ terrain in all seasons?

TIA!
Stephanie
Palisade is the best. Grand Junction, Fuita, and then followed by Central. They are all decent.

No crazy weather to speak of, other than potentially drastic temperature swings, but even that is uncommon. The think the biggest worry out here is drought. There has been one recorded tornado, IIRC, on the top of Glade Park, so I wouldn't worry about that.

The Bimmer will be fine. There has been exactly one day in our 5 years here that my wife was unable to drive our Civic due to snow. Please note that this was a record breaking, global warming, show storm dumping 10"+ of the climate change in one storm.

Hope all this helps you out. If you need any more help, please feel free to ask. You can send me a PM if you'd like.

Good luck, and welcome.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:31 PM

6,288 posts, read 10,781,874 times
Quote:
My husband has been relocated to Grand Junction and is arriving there with our travel trailer as I type this. We are moving from the Gulf Coast and me and the kiddos will be joining him when our house sells or in Oct/Nov...whichever comes first. I have done lots of reading and searching on this forum and am grateful for all the info. However, most of the posts regarding Grand Junction are 2+ years old. I would appreciate any and all advice, tips, do's and don'ts. I'm sure I will have specific questions soon so I thank you all in advance!

Stephanie
Redlands is considered the most exclusive area of the region, but I don't know if that means anything for its schools. Snowfall in Grand Junction is variable from one year to the next, some years have heavy snow that can stay on the ground for a long time. Driving between GJ and Denver in the winter months can also be tricky. Being able to get around in snow depends entirely on where you are at. Sloped areas (inclined driveways, rural areas, etc.) are much more challenging than flat, city streets. That in mind, I recommend the following:
  • Practice driving on snow in winter in an empty parking lot before doing it for real on city streets or the highways
  • Buy snow tires for your bmw

Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 PM

Thank you! Prestige and exclusiveness are really not important. Safe, friendly neighborhood with good schools. That's what I'm looking for. I also want to incorporate getting the most house bang for my buck. I sure would hate to downgrade from the house I'm currently in! We may very well end up renting at first. I'm looking at making a trip there end of next week. I've never been to GJ, been to Durango, Cortez, and Telluride though.

Thanks again for the info. Stay tuned! I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Stephanie

Old 08-16-2011, 03:33 PM

7,810 posts, read 18,002,036 times
Stephanie239 wrote:
We may very well end up renting at first.
Very smart thing to do. Very smart! Although I like the house I bought and the Grand Junction neighborhood in which it resides, I WISH I would have rented for a year before buying. I would be in an even better house, in an even more pleasing neighborhood...AND I would have paid less than I did. You are likely to have a different impression of Grand Junction after you get to know the area than you will upon your initial arrival. There's no hurry to buy. Rent for 6 months to a year, get to know the area, and chances are that you will pay less later than you will right now. Good luck with your move.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:24 PM

6,288 posts, read 10,781,874 times
Quote:
Thank you! Prestige and exclusiveness are really not important. Safe, friendly neighborhood with good schools. That's what I'm looking for. I also want to incorporate getting the most house bang for my buck. I sure would hate to downgrade from the house I'm currently in! We may very well end up renting at first. I'm looking at making a trip there end of next week. I've never been to GJ, been to Durango, Cortez, and Telluride though.

Thanks again for the info. Stay tuned! I'm sure I'll have more questions!

Stephanie
Most of Grand Junction and surroundings areas are safe, friendly neighborhoods. No worries there.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
Most of Grand Junction and surroundings areas are safe, friendly neighborhoods. No worries there.
Yep. Lots of guns out here. Makes criminals think twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado