Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 01:57 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

awesome. Those are affordable prices. I like the idea of Durango. The winters do not sound too awful. My only last concern was that I like to go to those huge arena/theater concerts that are usually found in the big cities. So I would need to know how far away a drive it would be to the next huge giant city that would most likely have those type of concerts- concerning if I move to Durango??
Other than that Durango sounds perfect!!
If not there then Boulder and Denver area sounds perfect because those are huge cities.
Again how is the crime and safety in all these cities??
Also how bad is the ice? The ice is tough when it is on the road!

Old 09-06-2006, 11:57 PM

827 posts, read 5,078,454 times
Artsyguy, Durango is so close to New Mexico that it really has more of the southwestern lifestyle. You can be in Albuquerque between 3 and 4 hours. Albuquerque has the huge concerts, the big named music groups, etc. The Durango area has some big named groups that come there too, like Los Lonely Boys in Ignacio, near Durango, for example. Farmington is a large city, it is either the second or third biggest city in NM and has about every store you would need. The Navajo Nation is near Farmington so really Farmington is even larger then the general population count because they usually don't factor in the Navajo Nation's population and there is a large number of them in the Farmington area. Farmington is less then 1 hour away from Durango. Durango doesn't have ice. The snow is powder and then it melts and is gone on the roads. It isn't slick like it gets in the south and north with the ice. It isn't bad at all driving in the kind of snow Durango gets. I hate driving on ice like down in say north Texas - it is REALLY slick and scary!

Old 09-08-2006, 12:30 PM

3 posts, read 15,549 times
Default denver

durango and boulder are both beautiful but id suggest denver overall. very open and accepting of gays and very latino overall. cheesman park/capitol hill neighborhood is the local gayborhood there - right next to downtown. lots of bars and nightlife along colfax ave. and up onto 17th in the uptown area just north. denver is about 1/3rd latino (primarily mexican) and much of the culture, food and shopping is centered along the west side along santa fe blvd. and from about federal blvd all the way to the west suburbs.

im not sure what kind of job youll be looking for but im guessing that denver will be an easier place to find a good job than durango just because its so much bigger.

good luck!

Old 09-09-2006, 10:36 AM

Looseleaf - is there a crime problem there in Denver or are there certain sections I should stay away from (that tend to be more violent or drug infested)??

Is there an ICE on the roads problem there in Denver during the winters ?

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-09-2006 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-11-2006, 02:01 PM

5 posts, read 24,806 times
Default Gays in Colorado

I agree wholeheartedly with two points noted here. Durango in SW Colorado is a wonderful small town with lots of gays and lesbians there. There is a lesbian owned coffee shop there and it is always full of college-aged lesbians. There are no gay bars in Durango.

That said, Denver is an extremely tolerant city. The best part of town to live in is Littleton, especially in old town Littleton or anywhere near the Boles Park area and anywhere along Boles Avenue heading west toward the mountains. There are gay-oriented activities and gay establishments in the downtown area, but don't live there, as the crime -- especially petty car breakins (which aren't petty when you're paying for it) and burglaries.

The best thing to do is live in Littleton and then you can take the amazing light-rail trains into downtown. The RTD is a wonderful way to travel and it's only 15 mins from Littleton to downtown on the rail.

You'll find Colorado is a wonderful place to live.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:21 AM

24 posts, read 136,526 times
As a 30+ Colorado Native with a healthy amount of gay friends I'd say Denver may be the most gay latino friendly city this side of SF.

Durango's cool, but the nightlife is kinda slacking.

Old 09-12-2006, 04:08 PM

awesome I shall do research on Littleton Colorado! Although I only know that city from Columbine High School. Not to drag the happy mood down or anything.

Old 09-13-2006, 09:59 PM

61 posts, read 377,747 times
I get this response everytime I bring Columbine up!
For the record, the Columbine Valley area is in Littleton, beautiful, the safest neighborhoods, and best schools you could want. Yeah, you heard correctly! I love the area but can't show a home there as everyone freaks out when you mention that name. Beautiful streets, big trees, right out of Norman Rockwell's America.
Two kids of course forever destroyed that notion. Now it is difficult to sell a home there because everyone freaks out when you mention that name -Columbine and ironcically our beautiful state flower. How sad!
I have friends there who love it and one of their kids starts a Columbine HS next year; another couple I know want to sell their home in Castle Rock and move back there. I have a Columbine tag on my car.
A strong family oriented area.

Old 09-14-2006, 01:09 PM

southdenverguy: Well Littelton sounds good but is it liberal. You know accepting of gays and is there a gay club there or any gay activities. I know that denver is not far away from there and i can always party there but I always don't want to be a stranger in a strange land where I choose to rent. LOL

Old 06-11-2008, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,368 times
Im an hispanic gay in durango any one can tell me if you now how i suposed to do to now some gays here, the name of the gay coffe shop or how can y doto know some gay an nice people???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado