Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2024, 06:46 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times

Advertisements

I like the proximity to the multiple ski resorts and the cool little down town area. Anything significant I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2024, 08:08 AM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Cold and expensive. High tourist traffic. It’s pretty though.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:41 AM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
COcheesehead pretty much covered it.

It's a small town, so if you're used to bigger city amenities, night life, etc it may feel limiting at times. Not sure if you've got a family, but that could impact your decision, too. Sometimes the tourist towns really aren't great places to raise a family due to the party scene, noise, etc. I can't speak to Frisco specifically on that matter, though. Just something to consider.

I've only been to Frisco a handful of times, so I'm no expert. Beautiful, incredible outdoor access, but too crowded for my tastes as a place to live. Truly spectacular scenery, though. You've got Lake Dillon, the Blue River, Breck, Copper, the Gores, the Tenmiles, and the Front Range all right there.

Old 02-01-2024, 10:12 AM

6,814 posts, read 10,510,104 times
Yes, expensive. Make sure you're into a small town lacking big city amenities and that you're up for the mountain climate/altitude.

Old 02-01-2024, 12:35 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
You didn't give any details about yourself, but I wouldn't advise living in Frisco year-round unless you have lived in a rural small town before. In Frisco, unless things have changed in the past four years, there is very little to do in the off-season. I worked for a Summit County resort for seven years, and generally speaking, off-season is (or was) October and November, and from late March to very early June (unless the spring skiing conditions are still very good); and you can almost go out of your mind if you are a young person unless you are an introvert or like to drink in local bars. [I now live in a small tourist town in Wisconsin, but as I am an introvert, I love living here, even though here there is very little to do from about November 1 to about June 10 (and almost nothing to do from about January 1 until about May 15) -- so you might experience the same thing in Frisco for about four months out of the year.]

I would suggest that if you have not lived in a rural small town before, that you rent for a year before you decide to buy.

Last edited by katharsis; 02-01-2024 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-01-2024, 04:12 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
You didn't give any details about yourself, but I wouldn't advise living in Frisco year-round unless you have lived in a rural small town before. In Frisco, unless things have changed in the past four years, there is very little to do in the off-season. I worked for a Summit County resort for seven years, and generally speaking, off-season is (or was) October and November, and from late March to very early June (unless the spring skiing conditions are still very good); and you can almost go out of your mind if you are a young person unless you are an introvert or like to drink in local bars. [I now live in a small tourist town in Wisconsin, but as I am an introvert, I love living here, even though here there is very little to do from about November 1 to about June 10 (and almost nothing to do from about January 1 until about May 15) -- so you might experience the same thing in Frisco for about four months out of the year.]

I would suggest that if you have not lived in a rural small town before, that you rent for a year before you decide to buy.
It would be a 2nd home/seasonal. Annual rentals seem hard to come by in that area.

While I might prefer Montana, Colorado (DEN) is so much easier to get in/out of.

Old 02-01-2024, 06:19 PM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
As a second-home owner, you'd want to be prepared for potentially higher tax rates and possibly limited options regarding short-term rentals. Not sure of the specifics of what Summit County / Frisco has in place, but it's a contentious issue and the regulations are constantly changing.

But in general, as a place for a second home it seems like a no-brainer if you like the area and the price is right.

Last edited by interloper1138; 02-01-2024 at 06:49 PM..

Old 02-02-2024, 08:59 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,248,713 times
Currently there are 39 homes on the STR waitlist https://www.friscogov.com/department...ation-process/

My .02. From a retired persons perspective, I think I would really enjoy Frisco mainly in the summer. Dillon reservoir is a sailing lake and if you like Colorado mountain towns near skiing, hiking, cool small touristy town area and with a just beautiful lake, I think Frisco would be near the top of the list. You would need to like long winters being at over 9000 ft el.

An older retiree becomes more dependent on the health care and I have no idea what options you have in that area but its usually more limited in the mountain areas. We drive though there a few times each summer on the way to Denver and usually time the drive for traffic but that drive can be crowded with all the bad stuff that goes along with overcrowding. Hopefully you could avoid going to Denver very often.. but its nice to have the option every once in a while.

Myself and a lot other people think a place like that would be just awesome for owning a short term rental that helped pay for itself but you got to use when you wanted. But check out the link above, all the more desirable mountain towns are restricting STR's.

Old 02-02-2024, 02:40 PM

718 posts, read 1,985,094 times
We lived one block off Main Street in Frisco for almost three years and loved it as a young couple who were mountain bikers, skiers, and hikers. It is a convenient location central to a lot of the other towns in the county. Without a DH ski area in town, it felt a bit more like a town than a resort. We enjoyed walking down to the nearly constant events that were held in town and loved to walk over for a meal at one of the various restaurants. The lake access was good and the bike paths were great.

On the flip side, it feels like the sun goes down really early in the winter because Mount Royal sits so close to town at the west end of main street. Most weekends during tourist seasons there is a ton of traffic and we would often hide out at our place to avoid the traffic and crowds until the week started again. The cost of groceries and other necessities were higher than in Denver, and we weren't always able to get everything we needed in Summit County, so we had to make regular trips to the Front Range. (This has been somewhat remedied in recent years with more businesses coming to Silverthorne). During mud season we made a lot of trips west to Moab or down to the Front Range to get away from the snow and mud. After living in Frisco, Dillon, and Keystone, we eventually tired of the long winters and moved back to the Front Range.

I often dream of getting a place in Summit County again, and nearly pulled the trigger last autumn, but we would likely only want to be there in the summer and then would probably lease it for six months over the winter.

Old 02-03-2024, 12:52 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
In my book, Summit County is a place I'd rather rent someone else's unit than have my own.

The above points about the sun and climate and roads out of town are real things to consider. A lot of people can handle winter ok, like I was fine with Front Range winters, but Summit County is a whole next level of long winter compared to other Rockies towns, largely cause there isn't a quick low elevation spot to escape it.

My vote overall would be Fraser area over Summit County. Even though it's not as sexy of out the window scenery, it doesn't have as many of the downsides of price, congestion, living in a geographical box... Winter Park is an awesome resort. And you can snowmobile / dirt bike up there. Can't do that in Summit county, which is pretty taped off for a lot of activities really. There's just too many people really during peak season in that county. Further west on I-70 is really nice: better weather, has less boom / bust feel, and better mountains, but it's priced to wazoo. Chaffee County is a good spot too for everything besides skiing.

Taos and Red River are awesome too, the town is more happening, musical, and permanent than CO ski towns - the better mix of both worlds IMO, of nature and town life.

Last edited by Phil P; 02-03-2024 at 01:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado