Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:03 AM

350 posts, read 848,477 times

Advertisements

I don't know much about the mountains, but my father-in-law lives outside Cripple Creek, he has 5 acres and a cabin (most the 5 acres is too steep to actually use though). He had it appraised a few months ago to possibly sell and it was in the $160,000 range. It has a small creek on it and lots of old mining test holes. He does have a few other houses, a few nice cabins and a trailer within view. He doesn't have mountain views from his house... because its already in the mountains, it is a nice view down the valley though. Cripple Creek is a small gambling town, but Woodland Park is like 30 minutes, and his wife commutes to Colorado Springs (I think she's nuts) which is over an hour and sometimes gets snowed in/out (once or twice a year is all though). Not perfect, but it fits your description more than what anyone else has said. Perhaps somewhere around there or Victor? Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:52 PM

27 posts, read 69,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
You and your cynical buddies can mock Crestone if you want... the reality is many people genuinely enjoy it, and if you bothered to read the OP's posts carefully, you'd probably get the idea that this is the type of place she's looking for.
Just wanted to thank you for really absorbing what it was I was asking for...Crestone does sound like an appealing place to at least try out. thanks to you it's on my list of possible relocation spots I'm going to visit in July when I have the funds ready. Cross your fingers for me please because I think I may be getting a very good deal on an rv for all of this.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemcraver View Post
Cross your fingers for me please because I think I may be getting a very good deal on an rv for all of this.
You may have to get one hell of a deal to compensate for what will probably be $4.00/gal. + fuel this summer. At 10 mpg (and a lot of RV's get a hell of a lot worse than that, not to mention being traffic jamming hogs on mountain roads), that's 40 cents a mile just for fuel. Chews up a lot of cash in a hurry.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
You may have to get one hell of a deal to compensate for what will probably be $4.00/gal. + fuel this summer. At 10 mpg (and a lot of RV's get a hell of a lot worse than that, not to mention being traffic jamming hogs on mountain roads), that's 40 cents a mile just for fuel. Chews up a lot of cash in a hurry.
Well for now it's actually just the camper section to attach to a pickup truck and then I'm going to try and get something somewhat gas efficient like a used dodge dakota.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:06 PM

753 posts, read 843,371 times
Gem: I definitely want to hear how your visit goes!

I finally started purchasing land in Colorado City! It fits a lot of what you're looking for, I think.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68902524@N08/6809049075/in/photostream/ (broken link)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68902524@N08/6809049217/in/photostream/ (broken link)

Nearby view Greenhorn Mtn.:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68902524@N08/6809048825/in/photostream/ (broken link)

Last edited by PcolaFLGuy; 02-02-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcolaFLGuy View Post
Gem: I definitely want to hear how your visit goes!

I finally started purchasing land in Colorado City! It fits a lot of what you're looking for, I think.

Colorado City, CO/Greenhorn Mtn. | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/68902524@N08/6809049075/in/photostream/ - broken link)
Colorado City, CO | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/68902524@N08/6809049217/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Nearby view Greenhorn Mtn.:

Greenhorn Mountain | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/68902524@N08/6809048825/in/photostream/ - broken link)
Gosh that's exciting me to think about, congrats...I'm too happy for you to even be jealous yet but I'm pretty sure once it's seeped in and I keep looking at those mesmerizing views I'll be so desperate to live there I'll wanna move in with ya ;p On a more serious note though perhaps you could post or pm me an approximation of how much the acreage goes for around there and a general idea of the minimum amount basic building costs could be. I've been in touch with a family looking in the Alamosa region because it's fairly affordable. They know how to build a home from scratch and if I end up choosing that area they are willing to work together to build our homes on neighboring land. I'll keep you posted...including photos of course ...Oh and it looks like I'm getting that camper but the shower needs some fixing up so I need to find out how much the repairs will be before finalizing the deal but the guy is so nice and he is promising to hold it for me

Old 02-03-2012, 04:50 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemcraver View Post
Well for now it's actually just the camper section to attach to a pickup truck and then I'm going to try and get something somewhat gas efficient like a used dodge dakota.
LOL!

The Dodge Dakota series is infamous for having some of the poorest real world fuel economy for it's size and class of truck. You'd have to search pretty hard to find anything worse.

And that's before you add a camper to it ...

Don't know what you're looking at, but if the RV camper you're getting has any real amenities to it, such as a bathroom/shower, galley, bed, table and living space ... you'll be looking at something that weighs enough and has enough windage to be a total drag on the fuel economy of the truck.

Even when I used an Alaskan pop-top camper with minimal facilities ... no pressure water system/hot water, no bathroom ... simply a low-profile camper with a bed, table, and a galley with an ice chest and a 10 gallon water storage and manual kitchen sink pump ... on a F-250 Diesel pick-up ... the fuel economy was down into the 12 mpg range. The Dodge won't get anywhere near that with an equipped camper; I wouldn't expect even 10 mpg from it.

Old 02-03-2012, 05:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
LOL!

The Dodge Dakota ...... I wouldn't expect even 10 mpg from it.
Dakota = really bad mileage, and pretty light duty suspension for a camper of any size. They are wimpy and troublesome

For random trips / pickup needs I have been pretty impressed with my ole beater 1st gen Dodge cummins diesel ('89 - 93)~ 20 mpg with minmal load / wind resistance (~$2000 - $6000). They are really stout and don't have the expensive steering / suspension needs of 2nd gen and later.

Most desired is '97 and early 98 12v. They get ~ 20 mpg and have lots of free HP upgrades. AND a few have quad cab or club cab.

12v cummins likes bio-diesel and grease, (with correct equipment... I.E Heated tank & fuel filters + plenty of filters and water traps. ) Free fuel is not a bad plan, but comes with a price...

Crestone.. not on my to ten, but a bit closer to civilzation and still in that region can work. Certainly look at Westcliffe while venturing around that region.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:08 PM

yea I really don't know much about vehicles I just searched on google and for some reason it told me the Dakota was the best truck as far as MPG is concerned...I figured I wouldn't bother asking here about truck advice since the forum is about Colorado but thank you for the feedback regardless. I'll definitely have some people I know who are more informed help me before selecting a truck.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:38 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,782,238 times
I've never driven a Dakota. I don't like the way it looks. I would probably never buy one. I like the way the Tacoma looks, if I were in the market for a light truck that's what I'd be looking at. I've never had a light truck - always full sized pickups. My dad had a Ford Ranger once and it sucked. 4 cylinders, no power, worthless as far as I was concerned. If I were to get the Tacoma I would get the 6cyl (more power), extended cab ( more room, can't tell you how useful it is to have extra room in the cab), 4 wheel drive (no point in having a truck without 4wd as far as I'm concerned).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado