Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2008, 11:27 PM

15 posts, read 60,950 times

Advertisements

I read a lot on here how even 1-2 acres is impossible to get for a reasonable price (and I'm not talking grassland out east). I guess there is only so much foothill space that is near the I25 corridor but why is housing so expensive in colorado?

I currently live in Buffalo NY and while you can't get a lot of acreage unless you go out of the city a ways, you can still get a nice house in a small subdivision with .5 acres for a reasonable price. I have lived in Ithaca NY and nearby with good schools you can certainly get 1 acre subdivisions. And the thing that gets me - maybe from having never lived in real urban sprawl - is that the subdivisions are nothing like these planned communities I read about on here. Maybe have 20 homes near each other, but thats about it. Still a lot of trees and space around-especially at the edge of the suburbs. I think when I look at google maps satellite it kind of freaks me out to see all these planned out cul de sacs, etc. Perhaps since there is no building boom here, there are few communities made up, but not ALL the available land is being used for building?

How much snow do you guys get? I understand up in the mountains its more, but say Denver and the like it must not be much...65" a year? Less? I am assuming since the sun is strong (It certinaly seemed that way whenever I've been to any of these high mountain plateau regions) it would melt quickly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 12:53 AM

3,459 posts, read 5,796,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre364 View Post
I read a lot on here how even 1-2 acres is impossible to get for a reasonable price (and I'm not talking grassland out east). I guess there is only so much foothill space that is near the I25 corridor but why is housing so expensive in colorado?
You can get 1-2 acres really cheap, but not with water on it. If there's no water rights, you don't get a well permit and can't get a building permit. If rain falls on your roof, you can't legally collect it. There may even be water in a ditch, but you can't use it.

Basically what it boils down to is that if a developer sells you 2 acres, he'll lose the ability to build and sell half a dozen houses because he won't have the water rights to do so. That's what makes houses with large lots expensive in the desert states.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:56 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Sterlinggirl is referring more to what you don't want, that is, grassland out east. 1-2 acre building lots are not the norm here. I've barely blown through Buffalo, but I'm from Pittsburgh and I've lived in Albany, NY. It's just not the same. The suburban areas tend to be on small lots. 1/4 acre is considered large. That's just the way it is. I'm not as familiar with the southern metro area, but I understand there are a few places down there with large lots, e.g. Roxborough Park. Up north here, there are a few areas outside of Boulder with larger lots, but older houses. Boulder Co. has very strict land use laws these days, hoping to preserve some open space and ag land.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:10 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,824 times
Quote:
Sterlinggirl is correct. Ultimately, water law in Colorado and the overall shortage of water is the reason why there's little big-acre properties in suburban Denver. (Remember, here 0.25 acre is considered to be a large lot).

As for why real estate is expensive in Denver, it's really not. It's actually right at the national average. Buffalo or Ithaca is probably just well under the national average, which is why it looks expensive to you. Or, perhaps you're only looking at large acreage properties, which are so uncommon that they may still command premium pricing.

If you're still interested in acreage, it is available if you're willing to go far enough out. Some of the smaller ciites on the Front Range like Colorado Springs or Fort Collins will have some larger acreage closer to their respective city centers.

Quote:
How much snow do you guys get? I understand up in the mountains its more, but say Denver and the like it must not be much...65" a year? Less? I am assuming since the sun is strong (It certinaly seemed that way whenever I've been to any of these high mountain plateau regions) it would melt quickly?
We do get about 65 inches of snow, which relative to other cities in the U.S. is WAY above average. Our average is boosted because we do get storms that dump snow measured in FEET on a fairly regular basis, though not every year.

Winter is a fairly sunny time of year, however, and the big storms historically hit more in the spring, though in the last couple years we have gotten heavy snow around the holiday season. Average January highs well into the 40s in Metro Denver, combined with lots of sun, tend to melt the snow quickly, though there are years in which that doesn't happen.

So, far, this fall has been exceptionally dry and mild by our standards.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:07 AM

13 posts, read 22,527 times
Question just a question

hmmm. So the idea of living on a ranch or a place with some decent acerage ( like over 20) is pretty dim unless you have a LOT of money or you don't mind living in the middle of nowhere? Just wondering.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:09 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,471,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouWill787 View Post
hmmm. So the idea of living on a ranch or a place with some decent acerage ( like over 20) is pretty dim unless you have a LOT of money or you don't mind living in the middle of nowhere? Just wondering.

Exactly.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:46 PM

2,756 posts, read 12,979,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouWill787 View Post
Well, I wouldn't say middle of nowhere. Just not within an hour's commute of Metro Denver. You probably COULD get within an hour's commute of Colorado Springs, Pueblo, or Fort Collins, though. I wouldn't call that middle of nowhere.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:28 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfox View Post
Well, I wouldn't say middle of nowhere. Just not within an hour's commute of Metro Denver. You probably COULD get within an hour's commute of Colorado Springs, Pueblo, or Fort Collins, though. I wouldn't call that middle of nowhere.
true, but it would be flat, possible lacking irrigation, and you wouldn't even know you are in Colorado; i.e. not a tree or mountain within sight.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,923,539 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what you consider reasonable. We've seen homes in an upscale development in Monument list for less than $100 per square foot. That's a very nice, custom home with 3 car garage on a 2.5 acre lot for less than 500k. Monument is close to mountains and within commuting distance to COS or DTC.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:17 AM

687 posts, read 2,952,680 times
If you're looking for a place similar to Colorado, that is, mountains but open area too....consider Flagstaff Arizona area. "Ranchettes", which are actually open areas without water or power are still available. Between Flagstaff and Williams up towards the Grand Canyon is actually a beautiful open area, views of the San Franciso Peaks. It's just a common thing to haul water in that area, no biggie. But a tank and trailer, or put a tank in the back of your pickup. Lots of people live "offgrid" in the area. Windmills, solar, backup generators. Having lived in Colorado and Flagstaff, I'd say the area compares in beauty, reminds me of the North Park area somewhat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado